Newbie from Burien, Washington (Seattle and Tacoma)

Newbie from Burien, Washington (Seattle and Tacoma)

Real Estate Investor · Burien, WA · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 98 votes

Hey Everyone, 

My name is Kevin Carbon and I reside in Burien, Washington which is about 10 miles south  of downtown Seattle. I am  a brand new investor and I am currently studying for my RE license  and learning as much as i can about investing.

Right now I am  am driving for dollars and learning how to wholesale to start (surprise, surprise:) I plan on doing that for awhile and then move to rehabbing so I can  buy rentals.

I stumbled upon Bigger Pockets a few weeks ago researching wholesaling and I am so glad I did. I currently work for a display manufacturer and can listen to my Ipod while I work.  I  listen to 2-3 BP pod-casts a day and I'm up to number 25. I have already learned a lot and cant wait to put some of it to practice.

Please feel free to contact me.  I look forward to meeting some great people and making some new friends for business and socially.

Have a great one!!

Kevin Carbon

4Reply
32 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Kevin C. 

    welcome to the site.

  • Professional · Boise, ID · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    Welcome Kevin!

    Its always great to see a local on this site. I am pretty new to RE like you but I can tell you that this is the most comprehensive site you will ever need for your research and learning phases. 

    Take care,

    Tyrone 

  • Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2012 · 480 posts · 116 votes
    11y

    @Kevin C. 

    Welcome to BP. You found a great site. Check out the "Learn" tab up top along the blue border. Tons of great info - free guides, podcasts, and blogs. See you around the forums.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    We are buy and hold investors.  I think having a goal like that pushes you further than ever to be successful. I think the other key is while never forgetting your goal is to also being flexible. We have had so MANY lemonades turns into lemon aid that our entire business plan has evolved in the last 3 years.

    This is an amazing place because the only thing everyone agree with is real estate. Other than that everyone has their own niche. So look around the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. Many of us including myself talk about our strategies, styles, niches and business model on our website. So definitely check that out as it is an amazing additional resource. For example, my blog is about while working full time, buy and hold investing, 0% Down Rentals, Personal Properties turned rentals, Long distancing investing, self-managing 3,000+ miles away. Definitely list your blog or website in your signature, if you have one. Its a great additional networking source.

    Look forward to seeing you around! Let me know if I can help!

  • Investor / Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    11y

    @Kevin C. 

    Wow, you sparked my alerts for Burien, Seattle, Tacoma, AND Washington!  It's always nice to welcome another investor from Burien :-)

    I haven't heard of someone wanting to be a wholesaler and a realtor at the same time.  Both take up a lot of time, and both are essentially paid on commission.  I personally think you should just focus on one, but would love to hear what others think about it.

    And if you happen to come across any good deals, you can wholesale them to me :-)

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Kevin C. 

    Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Couple good reads 

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 68 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP!

  • Real Estate Investor · Burien, WA · Member since 2014 · 286 posts · 98 votes
    11y

    Hey everyone!

    First I want to thank you all for the warm welcome to BP. I also appreciate all the great information and I will be checking it all out. I hope to build some great relationships with you and see you around the forum.

    Best Regards

    Kevin

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Kevin, welcome to BiggerPockets.  It will be a sad day when you get caught up on the podcasts.  :)

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Welcome Kevin.  I am in Shoreline and know that Burien has a lot of opportunities to be had.  Just keep learning and reading and you will be successful in no time.  I just sold a vacant lot in Burien.  I personally don't have my RE license but I can say that just studying for it will teach you a lot.  Just remember the best way to learn is to jump in and take action.  Good Luck

  • Investor · Rochester, WA · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 30 votes
    11y
    Welcome Kevin! I am about an hour south of you. But I spent many days in Burien, my grandparents used to own about a dozen houses all on the same block. Best of luck!
  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Kevin C.  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Wishing you the best! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.