Newbie from Newport News, Virginia

Newbie from Newport News, Virginia

Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello All. My name is Amy and my husband and I would like to get started in real estate. For the past month or so we've just been taking in information, attending conferences and just really trying to see where we would like to start. We have no previous experience and we've been praying for a mentor; someone who can guide us. I just stumbbled across this website while surfing the net and I'm very excited about what this site has to offer. This year we're expecting Great things. Happy New Year to All!

0Reply
4 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 23 votes
    18y

    Welcome Amy,

    You have arrived! Look, learn, read, and ask away!

    Take care!

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    Hello and welcome!

    Regarding mentors, I suggest being careful about signing up with a company offfering guru services until you have checked them out. If you make inquirees or conections, your name will get out there and you will be beseiged by companies who offer to mentor you for a fee, and I have found that these fees vary quite a bit. In fact, one offered me mentoring for $15K, and when I turned them down they called bakc later and said they had a "special" running for $3,500. Bigger Pockets has a great forum called "Real Estate Guru, Book & Course Review" that you can check out, and many of the current firms selling mentor services are on there. Also, you can Google the name of the mentor service and see if any horror stories pop up about them.

    Most of the investors here seem to advise to just read all the posts, read books, get organized, discover the type of investing you are most comfortable with, focus on that - and dive in! Good luck! Mike

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    18y

    Amy -
    Mike offers good advice on finding a Guru or Mentor. I recommend networking with local investors and finding someone in your area who might be looking for someone to help them out. If you can be their "intern/gopher" you can really learn a lot. Otherwise, reading the forums, our articles/blog should get you going pretty far.

    If you've got any specific questions, please ask. Otherwise, I hope to see you around!

    Best,

  • Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Thanks. I'll definitely be looking for someone who doesn't mind taking us under their wing. We have no problem with starting out working for free, I know we'll learn alot doing that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.