Hi from the newest Newbie from Fort Worth, TEXAS!

Hi from the newest Newbie from Fort Worth, TEXAS!

Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes

Hi folks (or Howdy)... I am a complete newbie and have recently quit my day job to jump right into something new and real estate is fascinating to me, so here I am.    I have no idea which niche to pick from the Ultimate Guide and I come from the Software Development field, so I hope that I don't fall into analysis paralysis, but I am here to learn, connect and get started doing something that I am excited about.  I am looking to build something for myself & family vs. working for "the man" and building something, for someone else in Corporate America.  

That's my story... (well a really really short version of it). 

3Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

@Paul Ewing 

The Ft Worth REIA I referenced can be found at DFW REIA. They are very active, meeting every Saturday morning at 9am. There are a lot of resources available through the group. It isn't obnoxiously "pitchy", but there are classes offered through the group. I will say, the prices are reasonable, not the $10k boot camps you'll find elsewhere. One of the things I like most about the group is that they allow the group's sponsors to introduce themselves at each meeting. You get some great contacts for most, if not all, the services you're going to need. These are all people experienced working with investors. They will also - occasionally - ask all the cash buyers in the room with money to spend to raise their hands. Bingo...instant buyer's list!!!

The first meeting is free.  After that it's $20, if you sign up on line, or $25 at the door.  If you actually join the group, the meetings are free.

Hope to see you there!

Hattie

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Fix & Flip, Wholetailing, · West Columbia, SC · Member since 2013 · 215 posts · 60 votes
    12y
    That's great Linda best of luck to you.
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Linda Hart .  If you have not already done so be sure to read through the learn section above, it is loaded with great information.  Be sure to set out some key word alerts to keep you up to date on topics or areas of interest like Ft Worth, or the area you wish to explore.  there are also a lot of awesome pod casts to listen to which may help you decide what you want to explore.  Iprefer buy and hold, but since you have already quit your job you need immediate income from possibly wholesaling or fix and flips, etc.  Good luck

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks Jerry and Ronnie, I have been browsing around and I listen to several podcasts which is how I stumbled onto this site (thankfully).   I have money to invest just want to be a good steward and not do anything to lose it!  I see lots of bandit signs around here, and I have also gone to a couple of the local Real Estate clubs around.  So hopefully the education part won't take to long and I can start building a plan.  Thanks for the welcomes!! Look forward to learning all I can.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    We got started through buying a personal residence property and gutting it. When we were transferred we gutted it. From there we invested my income in two more rentals and the rest is history.

    Our model is buy and hold real estate through pure rentals, personals turned rentals all being class A properties so smaller margin but lower expenses.

    Check out the Blogs, Podcasts and forums. Biggerpockets community is truly awesome through their diversity (buy and hold, wholesalers, bird dogs, commerce, developers, flippers, agents, etc). Another unique resource is peoples personal blogs/websites that can be found in the signature. Within the above "groups" everyone has create their own niches. Many of us have create a website/blog giving more information about our model, etc.

    My blog is about self management from a distance, personal properties turned rentals, operating nicer houses on smaller margins, full time job with rentals on the side, etc.

    Our goal is to use the income earned from the rentals to retire early when my husband retires from the Navy.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP, Linda!

    Get these books - best investment you will make in this business:
    http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    12y

    Welcome aboard, @Linda Hart !  Good to see another DFW investor on BP.  I'm sure we will meet at a local Real Estate Club.  Best of Luck

  • Real Estate Investor · Cypress, CA · Member since 2013 · 877 posts · 94 votes
    12y

    @Linda Hart welcome to BiggerPockets Linda. 

  • Michele FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to the site Linda!  As you explore more and maybe try a few things a niche will probably become clearer.  You are concerned about analysis paralysis, I have the opposite problem - jump in quick then sort out what we've done!  Balance is good, but often hard to find.  :)

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Linda Hart  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Yorba Linda, CA · Member since 2012 · 336 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    @Linda Hart 

    Welcome fellow Bigger Pockets member! This is a great forum and I am sure it will help you learn many facets of the real estate investment world. I purchased my first investment property over 40 years ago and only wish that I had a resource like BP community when I got started! So you are in a good company.

    Some say that your net-worth equals your network, and this is the place to make right connections. You should also find investors locally and network with them face-to-face. Find people close to you using MEET feature. Also, look for investor meetings on Meetup.

    All the best!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Linda Hart welcome!!

    I hope to see you at the local REIA. There is a group that meets every Saturday at 9:00, hot breakfast included, at Woodhaven Country Club. A different topic each week, but the networking is why I'm there. Regardless...

    Welcome to BP!

    Here are my Quick Tips (If you're listening to the Podcasts, you'll understand the reference. If not...see Tip #2!!!)

    1. Get involved in the forums. Offer what you can and absorb what everyone else offers.

    2. Listen to as many Podcasts as you can. I am listening to all of them, some of them more than once. There has not been a single broadcast that has not provided me value or that I felt was a waste of my time. Great content!!

    3. Download and read the free How-to-Guides, starting with the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing. You could pay thousands of dollars for this information BP offers free. (I almost did!)

    4. Follow @Dmitriy Fomichenko 's advice and set up some keyword alerts. It will keep you engaged in valuable discussions, while you're getting plugged in.

    5. Get involved with your local REIA's. Real Estate is, as I'm learning, all about relationships and networking. Make it work for you!

    The BP community is awesome, and you've taken a great first step!

    Hattie 

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks Hattie, yes that is the one that I have been to (at Woodhaven).  Only been once but interested in this week's about Probate.  Thanks for all the tips and advice.

    Thanks everybody for posting.

  • Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Linda Hart I am also new to Bigger Pockets and it has been very educational. I am still in the software industry but I am planning my transition into more active REI in a couple years. I would love to hear about any clubs in the Ft Worth area.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Paul Ewing , there is one in @Hattie Dizmond 's post at Woodhaven Country Club in Fort Worth.  They meet on Saturday's at 9am.  Seems to be a good group.  

    Thanks for posting a welcome (figured out the @thing :-)) 

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Linda Hart welcome to BiggerPockets! It is great to have you and please feel free to jump in the community - there are certainly great people around here!

    And oh, learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business by checking this quick guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Linda Hart 

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 38 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Hi @Linda Hart,

    Welcome to BP! I am in Fort Worth as well. Still in the "corporate" world as an engineer, but hoping to change that with real estate investing. My plan is to obtain buy and holds with a touch of fix and flips to help generate cash. This is a great site and I'm sure it will greatly shorten the learning curve. Good luck and see you around the site.

    Marlon

  • Real Estate Professional · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Linda Hart 

    You'll find plenty of info here on BP. Like everyone else mentioned, hit up your local REI meetups. Woodhaven is a good one, as well as the local AREA meetup which are on Saturday's as well.

    We also have one Tuesdays at 6:30pm on Western Center and 35W. 

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Paul Ewing 

    The Ft Worth REIA I referenced can be found at DFW REIA. They are very active, meeting every Saturday morning at 9am. There are a lot of resources available through the group. It isn't obnoxiously "pitchy", but there are classes offered through the group. I will say, the prices are reasonable, not the $10k boot camps you'll find elsewhere. One of the things I like most about the group is that they allow the group's sponsors to introduce themselves at each meeting. You get some great contacts for most, if not all, the services you're going to need. These are all people experienced working with investors. They will also - occasionally - ask all the cash buyers in the room with money to spend to raise their hands. Bingo...instant buyer's list!!!

    The first meeting is free.  After that it's $20, if you sign up on line, or $25 at the door.  If you actually join the group, the meetings are free.

    Hope to see you there!

    Hattie

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    12y

    Howdy @Linda Hart and welcome.  Not much I can say here that others haven't other than Welcome! and Don't forget to check out the "member blogs" section of the learn tab.  Great for motivation and getting started :)

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Shane Woods 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.