Hi all! My name is Raul Gonzalez, and I am new to both BP and real estate investing. I am currently located in Utah but would like to invest out of state even as my first investment, since it's a little expensive here for me at the moment. I have learned a little about fix and flipping houses, but I am focus more on short rentals in the Midwest and south for now. My goal is to have constant cash flow and create a portfolio of rentals for both short- and long-term rentals.
I am looking forward in gaining any insights and knowledge regarding my goals and everything I need to know to be successful in this journey! Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 26 votes
1y
Hey Raul—welcome to BP and the investing world. Starting with out-of-state rentals is totally doable (I’ve built a portfolio across three states), but the key is having a reliable team on the ground.
A couple quick thoughts that helped me early on:
– Don’t just chase cheap—look for markets with stable demand and a strong tenant base.
– If you’re leaning toward short-term rentals, double check local regulations. Some cities in the Midwest and South are tightening up. In a lot of cases, mid-term rentals (30–90 days) offer solid returns with fewer headaches.
Sounds like you’ve got the right mindset. Feel free to DM me—happy to share resources and lessons from my own journey.
Real Estate Agent · Lakeland, TN · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 105 votes
1y
@Raul Gonzalez it sounds like you have done a fair amount of research on where you want to get started, have you researched the companies that work in the those areas to help investors find, lease and manage their properties? You will want to find a team that is experienced and has a good track record. Best of luck getting started!
Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Hey Raul, I’d suggest doing fix and flips locally, especially if it’s your first time. Being nearby not only helps you stay on top of the project but also gives you a chance to learn more about the process firsthand. You'll get a better feel for working with contractors and avoiding the delays that can happen from afar.
I also noticed you're interested in short-term rentals. A/B Class areas are more geared towards STR. You can also do long term rentals for C class neighborhoods. If you ever want to chat or brainstorm strategies, feel free to connect!
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Welcome to Bigger Pockets Raul!
Bigger Pockets is a great place to learn and connect with fellow investors.
If you’re looking to invest long distance, I definitely recommend building your core-4 team. This team consists of an Investor Focused Agent, Lender, Contractor, and PM.
Read this article on the "core 4". It explains the team that you should develop to have a strong foundation under you while investing remotely.
Real Estate Agent · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2019 · 35 posts · 13 votes
1y
Hi Raul- I am in Utah. I have done flips here and have some rentals. I have done some flips that are about 2.5 hours away (still in Utah). It is trickier, but it can be done. I am happy to discuss more with you if you would like.
Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 26 votes
1y
Hey Raul—welcome to BP and the investing world. Starting with out-of-state rentals is totally doable (I’ve built a portfolio across three states), but the key is having a reliable team on the ground.
A couple quick thoughts that helped me early on:
– Don’t just chase cheap—look for markets with stable demand and a strong tenant base.
– If you’re leaning toward short-term rentals, double check local regulations. Some cities in the Midwest and South are tightening up. In a lot of cases, mid-term rentals (30–90 days) offer solid returns with fewer headaches.
Sounds like you’ve got the right mindset. Feel free to DM me—happy to share resources and lessons from my own journey.
Welcome to real estate investing! Since you’re looking at the Midwest and South for short-term and long-term rentals, you’re on the right track for affordability and strong cash flow. Markets like Memphis could be a great fit—housing is still affordable, demand for rentals is high, and there are plenty of areas that work for both short- and long-term strategies. Having the right team on the ground is key, especially when investing remotely, so working with investor-friendly agents, lenders, and property managers can make all the difference. If you ever want to chat about markets, strategy, or just get insights from someone who helps investors build portfolios in Memphis, I’d be happy to connect.