Rookie investor seeking to learn the ropes

Rookie investor seeking to learn the ropes

Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hey all,

I'm brand new to the world of real estate investing and looking to learn the ropes. I work as a Firefighter full time in Richmond, Va and would love to supplement my income on my days off. Right now my focus is simply to learn all I can and connect with people who are immersed in this world. My wife and I bought our first house 4 years ago using the VA loan and I'd specifically like to learn how to finance a rental property using little or no money of my own. Thanks for reading and I look forward to the future in this new endeavor!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 8 votes
2y

Welcome Joseph and Thank you for your service.

Were you at the Hanover area meetup in Thursday? I attended that one. Lots of wholesaling deals last week.


In addition to what Dawn shared BTW, R.I.N.G is today and can be found on Facebook and Meetup

R.i.S.E - Real Estate | Investment | Strategies | Entrepreneurship meets on 2nd Tuesday and can be found on Facebook and Meetup.

Dealmaker has an annual conference and an expanding nationwide footprint plus a mastermind like group for all that meets on Zoom ever Wednesday at noon.

Greater Richmond REIA and a few more can be found on FB and Meetup.

I look forward to meeting you. I do large renos, short term (AirBnB / VRBO) and Mid term (traveling professionals) rentals.

Have so much fun.

Ron

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn RoyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 41 votes
    2y

    Joseph,

    Congratulations on making the decision to invest here in wonderful RVA.  My suggestion for you would be to surround yourself with other investors.  There are several good meetups every month. As a dear friend of mine always says, "be in the room".  

    Cheers!

    Open Gate Realty Group546 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Thank you! I actually am attending my first meetup this Thursday. Are there any meetups that you would particularly recommend for someone like myself? Thanks again for the help!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Glad to have you on the forum, Joseph! 

    This is a great place to learn and to connect with people so take advantage of all the great resources.

    -Julio

  • Dawn RoyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2017 · 76 posts · 41 votes
    2y

    DealMaker Richmond and Richmond RING are two good ones.  

    Open Gate Realty Group546 Reviews
  • Jeffrey McKeePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Plano, TX · Member since 2013 · 477 posts · 88 votes
    2y

    Hello Joseph! Welcome and best of luck on your real estate investing journey!

  • Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Thank you! I will check them out

  • Austin JonesPro Member
    Realtor · Richmond VA · Member since 2023 · 48 posts · 17 votes
    2y

    Hi Mr. Crawford, I work with many investors in The Richmond Area. I'd be happy to assist you. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or ever need anything!

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Hello @Joseph Crawford ! Welcome aboard!

    Read Beginner’s Guide to help you get started: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing 

    Good luck on everything!

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    2y

    Welcome Joseph and Thank you for your service.

    Were you at the Hanover area meetup in Thursday? I attended that one. Lots of wholesaling deals last week.


    In addition to what Dawn shared BTW, R.I.N.G is today and can be found on Facebook and Meetup

    R.i.S.E - Real Estate | Investment | Strategies | Entrepreneurship meets on 2nd Tuesday and can be found on Facebook and Meetup.

    Dealmaker has an annual conference and an expanding nationwide footprint plus a mastermind like group for all that meets on Zoom ever Wednesday at noon.

    Greater Richmond REIA and a few more can be found on FB and Meetup.

    I look forward to meeting you. I do large renos, short term (AirBnB / VRBO) and Mid term (traveling professionals) rentals.

    Have so much fun.

    Ron

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Joseph Crawford

    The FHA and VA loans offer a lucrative field in real estate investing. By knowing about the various loans, mixing with community groups, and looking into other money ways, folks can do well in property investment. This rich area lets them buy buildings with many homes without paying upfront and at good loan rates while also using their VA loan perks.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Richmond, VA · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Ron Etienne Younger:

    Welcome Joseph and Thank you for your service.

    Were you at the Hanover area meetup in Thursday? I attended that one. Lots of wholesaling deals last week.


    In addition to what Dawn shared BTW, R.I.N.G is today and can be found on Facebook and Meetup

    R.i.S.E - Real Estate | Investment | Strategies | Entrepreneurship meets on 2nd Tuesday and can be found on Facebook and Meetup.

    Dealmaker has an annual conference and an expanding nationwide footprint plus a mastermind like group for all that meets on Zoom ever Wednesday at noon.

    Greater Richmond REIA and a few more can be found on FB and Meetup.

    I look forward to meeting you. I do large renos, short term (AirBnB / VRBO) and Mid term (traveling professionals) rentals.

    Have so much fun.

    Ron


     Thank you for the info! I've joined Richmond RING and will absolutely look into the others you mentioned. I was not at the Hanover area meetup, which group is that? 

    Thanks again for the reply and info and I look forward to meeting you as well!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.