New young investor in Seattle/western WA.

New young investor in Seattle/western WA.

Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 13 votes

Howdy, My name is Derek Robertson I am 20 years old and I have been working in construction specifically plumbing for 3 years. I am the third generation in my family involved with plumbing and more recently real estate investing. I am learning from my father who has successfully built a plumbing and heating company from nothing and has also been a successful real estate investor/builder. Currently I am taking over the plumbing company with my brother and learning the ropes of management and business. As a new venture my two brothers and I invested in run down property outside of Olympia to fix up and resale we bought with cash. I am joining this forum to learn about the different aspects I can take my investing and how to be successful. With no desire to go to a college or any friends remotely interested in real estate and investing I joined here to get advice, contribute and learn about the different approachs I can take with my bussiniess and investing future and how I can be successful.

0Reply
2 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Derek Robertson welcome to the site! I live down in Montesano, about 1/2 hour from Olympia toward the beach. I invest mostly in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam area. Definitely jump in here and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts for terms like "Seattle" or "Olympia" so you can jump into conversations that matter to you. (that's actually how I found this thread so quick... I got an email alert telling me someone mentioned "Olympia" in a post! It works well :) )

    Seeya around! And be sure to check out The Podcast!

  • Investor · Snohomish, WA · Member since 2013 · 629 posts · 84 votes
    12y

    Awesome, Derek. College wouldn't prepare you for what it sounds like your passionate with - in my opinion. You can spend a lot of money for nothing if you don't have a reason to go. Might as well put that to use and start making money! Plumbing is the hardest thing for me with my rentals. I've done more damage than I have good. I finally met and teamed up with a young Plumber who much like yourself was a generational thing and had no desire to go to college. As every other plumber I have met is much older I think your entering an industry that will have a lack of competition and of course always needed. Welcome! You may be interested in attending our meeting in Snohomish Co: http://www.meetup.com/SnoCo-Connected-Real-Estate-Investors/

  • Contractor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Shelton to be more exact Brandon. Will be sure you check out the podcast

  • Paul TschetterPro Member
    Lender · Freeland, WA · Member since 2012 · 103 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP @Derek Robertson

    You will love BiggerPockets as it is a a great place to connect and learn.

  • Hoquiam, WA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP. Great to see another WA resident on the board.

  • Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2012 · 480 posts · 116 votes
    12y

    @Derek Robertson

    Welcome to BP. I'm up in Kirkland. I think you'll find BP a great community with lots of great info and knowledgable people. Check out the "Learn" tab up top. There's BPs Ultimate Beginner's guide there and a link to the Podcasts and Blogs.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.