Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Josephine Wanner
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Minneapolis, MN
Votes |
Looking for a Mentor - willing to pay or take to lunch/coffee.

Josephine Wanner
  • Minneapolis, MN
Posted Feb 8 2024, 13:46

Hey everyone! I'm currently looking for a mentor to help guide me through investing in real estate. I have a good chunk of money that I'm wanting to put into real estate and I'm trying to decide if I want to focus on short-term rentals, mid-term rentals, long-term rentals, flipping or wholesaling. My current job is extremely flexible so I have time. I'm hoping for real estate investing to become my full time career within the next couple years. I own a duplex already and have tenants for one side while I live on the other. I'm noticing myself begin to get decision paralysis regarding the next investment I'm going to make. 

If anyone is willing to chat more and/or willing to mentor me, please reach out! It would be a huge help. As I put in the title, I'm willing to pay. However, I'd much prefer taking you to lunch or coffee. 

Thanks,

Josie

User Stats

Votes
Joe Vesey
  • Financial Advisor
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
Replied Feb 8 2024, 13:53

You should attend the MN Real Estate Exchangers meeting.  We meet twice a month at Hellmuth & Johnson law firm in BLoomington/Edina.  Lots of good connections to be made there.  

User Stats

Votes
Amanda McKee
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Minnesota
Replied Feb 8 2024, 19:06

Hi @Josephine Wanner! I'm always looking to connect with like-minded individuals and share knowledge. I invest in STR and would be happy to share what I know about that and encourage each-other

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
Travis Timmons#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 9 2024, 06:06

I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you think that I can be a resource. I'm no help on long terms. We own short and mid terms and have been at it for 4-5 years. I don't know everything but have learned a few things along the way. Feel free to send me a direct message if you want to chat in more detail.

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy Fomichenko
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
Pro Member
#1 New Member Introductions Contributor
  • Solo 401k Expert
  • Anaheim Hills, CA
Replied Feb 13 2024, 16:47

Welcome to the BP community Josephine! It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more.

Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search/users

Best of luck!

User Stats

Votes
Mark R.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Texas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Texas
Replied Feb 13 2024, 19:46
Hi Josephine,  I'm not anywhere near you and don't have relevant local knowledge... but I'm a veteran of a lot of flips and rentals. I remember what it was like starting out so I am always glad to share some of my experiences and things I've learned!  Send me a DM and check out my linkedin if you want to chat.

User Stats

Votes
James Hamling#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Votes |
James Hamling#3 General Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Twin Cities, MN
Replied Feb 20 2024, 08:22

@Josephine Wanner I got "stuff" to sell, but I'm happy to lend some free advice anyways, lol. 

We generally talk about "Analysis Paralysis" as this bad-bad-bad thing, but there is also good in it. Most often it's our brain trying to tell us something is missing, and to ignore that messaging can lead to far bigger problems. 

What I am reading here is a strong indicator that you may have caught a case of "Shinny Object Syndrome"; head spinning on all the potentials and litmus of this strategy, that strategy, I saw a YT on this, I saw a YT on that, everyone making $ here there and everywhere so, what-does-a-person-do????? Overwhelming right?     

That's a big issue today, "success overload" I like to call it. Seems like everybody is making 5/6 figures per month doing all kinds of everything under the sun, if you trust everything on YT.     

And there-in lies the first issue; taking in any/all info.    We had the industrial age, the tech age, the information age etc etc and, now, we are living in the MARKETING age. Way way WAY too much marketing, by far too many, with completely unknown truthfulness of any of it. 

And if a person does not have a solid game plan in place, a charted, known, committed business/life plan, yeah, it's going to be like sailing and switching directions every 10 minutes. A great way to make circles and get nowhere. 

So I would suggest: (a) turn-it-all-off.    (b) take an honest self-assessment. The good, the bad and the ugly.    (c) on another paper list the path's of legitimate INTEREST, not what you "could" do but what your genuinely interested in doing.     (d) on another write out your 7yr end goal. Define in a REAL tangible manner where you want to be in 7yrs, in a very real attainable manner. This is not where we put "sipping drinks working 10hrs a week driving my lambo" if your a coffee barista, right. It can be lofty, but, REAL, attainable, detailed. 7yr, not 30, not 60, 7yr. 

Now, we reverse engineer.... 

Put that detailed 7yr "I need to be HERE" front and center. Review (c), which of these jump out as NOT a viable path to get to (d)? Cross them off.    Review (b), which of these will directly impede/prevent getting to (d), circle them. Which will directly aid/empower getting to (d), circle those. 

Now, it's simply an action of cross checking. What in (b) supercharges/enhances in (c) to get to (d)?    A path should start presenting itself at this point. As well, what is int he way from (b) should equally start becoming very clear. 

And now you have your framework for a plan. 

What in (b) you MUST eliminate/change/alter/evolve/overcome. What in (b) you must engage/embrace/amplify. To DO in (c), to ATTAIN (d). 

It's not about chasing "what could I do", it's about designing one's life, making use of natural advantages, diminishing or eliminating disadvantageous, and moving forward in a methodical actionable, measurable, planned manner. 

You need a plan, and to be executing on a plan. Start with a framework, and than break it down into stage point goals. Than break that down into it's main goals, and on and on until you have a daily, yes DAILY, goals and to-do. 

Ever notice how ya can take a group of 7yr olds, dump out the most complex logo build on earth, and if hand them the instructions manual they just go to town like some Purdue-U Engineers? Yet dump out a 1k piece puzzle and there running around messing with the box 5 min later? 

The plan is everything, it changes everything. 

Self assessment, path of least resistance, the choice, plan framework, than define and map. Than it's all about execution, measure, execute, measure. 

If looking for BS on what properties, strategy, offering etc. sorry, but that's just detail stuff that doesn't matter, it doesn't, not until you have YOUR plan. Than details come to play, as just details to execution. 

As for what strategy is best? YOUR strategy, the one YOU will work and make work. That's the reality of it.