young man with realtor lic looking for help building a road map to start

young man with realtor lic looking for help building a road map to start

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm 20 years old looking for help building a plan on getting my first rental property in Broward or Palm Beach County interested in a multi-family as my first one, so I have a peace of mind knowing I have a place to stay and more opportunities for cash flow, I have my realtors license and am saving capital now and won't be financial ready for at least 8 months. Any info helps and I'd love to listen to your own investment story.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 749 posts · 510 votes
3y

Hi Anthony! My name is Sloane, and I am also from Florida! Congratulations on starting so young in the real estate industry. I am 21 and doing the same, so I would love to connect with you. 

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Member since 2023 · 177 posts · 41 votes
    3y

    Hey Anthony, just wanted to welcome to the Bigger Pockets community! A multi-family is an aggressive start for your first investment, there are so many stories to tell getting into your first investment. One thing is take advantage of your local networking groups and everything BP has to offer. 

  • Real Estate Broker | Investor | Property Manager · Plantation, FL · Member since 2015 · 228 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    Are you going to House hack the multifamily by buying a duplex with FHA and living on one side?

    Are you practicing real estate full time or did you get your license to save a buck on the commissions?  Happy to give some pointers if you want, thought the message leaves a lot of ambiguity so let me know what info you want to tackle first...

  • Specialist · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 72 posts · 24 votes
    3y

    Hi Anthony, 

    Multi-family would be a great option to start, but you can also see potential in a 5-3 or 4-2 single family with garage. You can convert the garage into a living space and rent it out or live there yourself.

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y

    First step first, have all your money and credit scores in order. In the meantime since you are planning to wait a few months, you need to be learning about how to analyze properties, different markets, different neighborhoods you'd think about investing in. The forums are a great place to get detailed info about different topics. I am a seasoned investor and realtor here in Fort Lauderdale and I still am learning a lot.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Depends on how much money you have for the down payments and operating reserves plus fix-ups, closing costs and probably 1st years insurance.

    Multi-family is a pretty big universe of rentals, from the 2 to 4 plexes, 5 to about 20 or so, then all the way to 100 units and above.

    What number of units are you seeking based on you available spendable cash in hand?

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 749 posts · 510 votes
    3y

    Hi Anthony! My name is Sloane, and I am also from Florida! Congratulations on starting so young in the real estate industry. I am 21 and doing the same, so I would love to connect with you. 

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.