SMALL INVESTOR: NEW Member. NEED HELP To EVICT Section8 Tenants.

SMALL INVESTOR: NEW Member. NEED HELP To EVICT Section8 Tenants.

Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Hello.. My Name is JOY.. I live on Long Island in New York. I'm A Former Real Estate Agent who Now Work as A Nurse and SMALL INVESTOR / Property Owner.. I Have A House Hack on Long Island & A ONE Family Home in Kingston. New York. My Primary Home is FINE.. NO Tenant Problem There.. 

But AT MY RENTAL HOME IN Upstate KINGSTON NEW YORK There is A BIG Problem with VERY Agressive  Section8 Tenants.. Who Were Put in The Home By A Property Manager in Kingston.  N.Y.

There Were BIG Problem B4 Carona Started.. Their Lease EXPIRED in March 2020. And They Knew Since October 2019  The Lease Would NOT Renew.. Section8 KNOWS Too. 

Some Of The Problems are They KEEP The Home In VERY Filthy Condition. They Flush Baby Wipes Down The Drain Causing Plumbing Expenses.. They Used The Carona ERA To Do BAD Things.. They Changed ALL Locks on The Doors.. So That Property Manager & I Are Locked Out.. They Refused ANY Inspection & ALL Work Men Entry; They Broke The Bsemnt  Lock Entered & Disposed of Over $10,000 of Building Materials and Other Supplies; etc That Were Securely Stored in My Basemnt (Bsmt Was NOT Part of The Lease).. Then They Set Up Laundry & Play Area For Kids In The Basement And ALL My Personal Effects Went Missing. Vanished.. They Did NOT Asked.. & Got NO Permission But STILL Set Up Washer & Dryer For A Large Family of Over 10 People.. 

This Is A VERY Nice 3 Bedrooms ..  2  1/2 Bathroom Over 2200sq Ft Home in A VERY Decent Quiet Part of Town. Cops were Called To The Home Over 40 Times In 2 Years.. up To Sept. 2021. The Police Chief KNOWS Them By Names.. They REFUSED To Allow Manager, Insurance Person, Even Called Cops on The Realtor Who Called and Spoken To  Them Prior To  The Visit..


There's Always  Commotion In Home And I Live About 3 hours away. I Have A NEW Property Manager. I Went There To Service The Furnace in Sept. 2021 With A Work Man. The MAIN Tenant Called The Cops and Reported That BLACK PEOPLE Were At Her Home and She Didn't Know Who They Were. They WERE Notified By Priority Mail  2 Weeks B4 The Visit. Section8 KNOWS.. But Nothing is Done

The Case is in EVICTION Court For OVER A Year.  These Tenants Have The BEST (FREE) Lawyers Who Take All Their Lies And Present Them As True in Court. I Have A PAID Lawyer. 

The Tenants Applied To ERAP.. Which Is "Emergency Rent Assist Program".. A Covid "Eviction Prevention" in New York For Those Adversely Affected By Covid & NEED HELP With Rent.

These Tenants Did NOT Qualify as They Already HAVE Section8 To PAY Their RENT (Subsidized: LESS Than Market Value).  The Tenants Have NOT Paid Their VERY Small Portion of Rent Since Sept. 2019.. Yet REFUSE To Move. They Got NOTICE To Remove In December 2019.. And Again in Sept. 2020.  Section8 IS  Aware.

They Were Scheduled To LEAVE In March 2020 When The Lease EXPIRED.. But NEVER Did. Then Came Carona Virus.. 


IT TOOK 7 MONTHS FOR ERAP TO Review & DENY Their Case.. I Think That The Judge  Would ORDER An EVICTION. But NO.. These Tenants Now Want JURY TRIAL Set For Thur. AUGUST 25th. 2022.


I Have A Lawyer Who Is NOT An Eviction Specialist.. I Hereby Call On Bigger Pockets FORUM To Help ME Find Affordable LEGAL HELP In The Kingston New York Area.   I've Received Threats (TEXTS) From These Tenants That They Know Where I Live So I Should Watch Out.. Section8 KNOWS. Police Report was Made 


Please HELP ME To Find A Lawyer in That Region Who IS An EVICTION Specialist. 

Thanks..   I Am Most Grateful.

0Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Suzanne PlayerPro Member
    Attorney · New York City / Long Island, NY · Member since 2020 · 597 posts · 248 votes
    4y

    Just saw this.  I hope you found good representation in the area.  Please keep us updated.    

  • Rental Property Investor · Prince George's County, MD · Member since 2022 · 177 posts · 187 votes
    4y

    Geezus Kryst.

    My first and second homes were in (decent) communities that had a couple Section 8 renters.  You could point those homes out without seeing anyone, as those properties were the worst-kept in the neighborhood.  I made the decision not to rent to Section 8 tenants when the time came, as to avoid my property being destroyed or tenants being a nuisance to neighbors.  (Yes, I'm generalizing, I understand not all Section 8 renters are trashy.) 

    You mentioned your home is in a "VERY decent quiet part of town..." I can't help but wonder why your PM didn't select a better caliber of tenant.  This sounds like an example of when more stock is placed on "guaranteed money" (Section 8) rather than carefully selecting the best-caliber tenant, it will turn into a situation you'll regret.

    I sympathize with you, and wish you the best of luck in this situation.

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Suzanne Player:

    Just saw this.  I hope you found good representation in the area.  Please keep us updated.    


     Thank you so Very Much.  I Truly appreciate your Time and Kindness. I  Have A Lawyer but Those Tenants Continue To Play games. They Asked for a JURY Trial.. Then Canceled & Went Back To ERAP.. Which DENIED Them in The Past.. HOW Can They Apply For ERAP TWICE Just To AVOID An Eviction. Can't The Court See The Antics That's Going On?  I Will WAIT  Patiently.  Thanks Again..

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Malkia Ra:

    Geezus Kryst.

    My first and second homes were in (decent) communities that had a couple Section 8 renters.  You could point those homes out without seeing anyone, as those properties were the worst-kept in the neighborhood.  I made the decision not to rent to Section 8 tenants when the time came, as to avoid my property being destroyed or tenants being a nuisance to neighbors.  (Yes, I'm generalizing, I understand not all Section 8 renters are trashy.) 

    You mentioned your home is in a "VERY decent quiet part of town..." I can't help but wonder why your PM didn't select a better caliber of tenant.  This sounds like an example of when more stock is placed on "guaranteed money" (Section 8) rather than carefully selecting the best-caliber tenant, it will turn into a situation you'll regret.

    I sympathize with you, and wish you the best of luck in this situation.

    Dear Fellow Member.. Thanks for Sharing your Experience. I Truly Appreciate Your Opinion.  The MAIN Tenant Said "They Paid Good $ To MY Manager ($1K).. To Put Them in The Home.. So The Manager Played Us Both".. He Told Me He Did A Thorough Background Check on Them.. NOT True.. He No Longer Work For me.. Tenants & Section8 KNEW Since Oct  2019 That The Lease Would NOT Renew In March 2020.. Then Came Covid.. Now It's 2  1/2  Years Later And STILL NO Eviction. The LAW is The LAW.. So I WILL Simply Wait. We Live and We Learn.  Thanks for Sharing.  I'm Most Grateful. 
  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Joy Lambert:

    Hello.. My Name is JOY.. I live on Long Island in New York. I'm A Former Real Estate Agent who Now Work as A Nurse and SMALL INVESTOR / Property Owner.. I Have A House Hack on Long Island & A ONE Family Home in Kingston. New York. My Primary Home is FINE.. NO Tenant Problem There.. 

    But AT MY RENTAL HOME IN Upstate KINGSTON NEW YORK There is A BIG Problem with VERY Agressive  Section8 Tenants.. Who Were Put in The Home By A Property Manager in Kingston.  N.Y.

    There Were BIG Problem B4 Carona Started.. Their Lease EXPIRED in March 2020. And They Knew Since October 2019  The Lease Would NOT Renew.. Section8 KNOWS Too. 

    Some Of The Problems are They KEEP The Home In VERY Filthy Condition. They Flush Baby Wipes Down The Drain Causing Plumbing Expenses.. They Used The Carona ERA To Do BAD Things.. They Changed ALL Locks on The Doors.. So That Property Manager & I Are Locked Out.. They Refused ANY Inspection & ALL Work Men Entry; They Broke The Bsemnt  Lock Entered & Disposed of Over $10,000 of Building Materials and Other Supplies; etc That Were Securely Stored in My Basemnt (Bsmt Was NOT Part of The Lease).. Then They Set Up Laundry & Play Area For Kids In The Basement And ALL My Personal Effects Went Missing. Vanished.. They Did NOT Asked.. & Got NO Permission But STILL Set Up Washer & Dryer For A Large Family of Over 10 People.. 

    This Is A VERY Nice 3 Bedrooms ..  2  1/2 Bathroom Over 2200sq Ft Home in A VERY Decent Quiet Part of Town. Cops were Called To The Home Over 40 Times In 2 Years.. up To Sept. 2021. The Police Chief KNOWS Them By Names.. They REFUSED To Allow Manager, Insurance Person, Even Called Cops on The Realtor Who Called and Spoken To  Them Prior To  The Visit..


    There's Always  Commotion In Home And I Live About 3 hours away. I Have A NEW Property Manager. I Went There To Service The Furnace in Sept. 2021 With A Work Man. The MAIN Tenant Called The Cops and Reported That BLACK PEOPLE Were At Her Home and She Didn't Know Who They Were. They WERE Notified By Priority Mail  2 Weeks B4 The Visit. Section8 KNOWS.. But Nothing is Done

    The Case is in EVICTION Court For OVER A Year.  These Tenants Have The BEST (FREE) Lawyers Who Take All Their Lies And Present Them As True in Court. I Have A PAID Lawyer. 

    The Tenants Applied To ERAP.. Which Is "Emergency Rent Assist Program".. A Covid "Eviction Prevention" in New York For Those Adversely Affected By Covid & NEED HELP With Rent.

    These Tenants Did NOT Qualify as They Already HAVE Section8 To PAY Their RENT (Subsidized: LESS Than Market Value).  The Tenants Have NOT Paid Their VERY Small Portion of Rent Since Sept. 2019.. Yet REFUSE To Move. They Got NOTICE To Remove In December 2019.. And Again in Sept. 2020.  Section8 IS  Aware.

    They Were Scheduled To LEAVE In March 2020 When The Lease EXPIRED.. But NEVER Did. Then Came Carona Virus.. 


    IT TOOK 7 MONTHS FOR ERAP TO Review & DENY Their Case.. I Think That The Judge  Would ORDER An EVICTION. But NO.. These Tenants Now Want JURY TRIAL Set For Thur. AUGUST 25th. 2022.


    I Have A Lawyer Who Is NOT An Eviction Specialist.. I Hereby Call On Bigger Pockets FORUM To Help ME Find Affordable LEGAL HELP In The Kingston New York Area.   I've Received Threats (TEXTS) From These Tenants That They Know Where I Live So I Should Watch Out.. Section8 KNOWS. Police Report was Made 


    Please HELP ME To Find A Lawyer in That Region Who IS An EVICTION Specialist. 

    Thanks..   I Am Most Grateful.


     There Must Be LEGAL LOOPHOLES That Can Be Used To Weed Out BAD Tenants Who ABUSE The System. Heaven Help Us. The Law Is The Law.. I Will Simply Wait.. & Pray for This Ordeal To End. Thanks for your Interest & Concern.  Most Grateful.. Joy Lambert..

  • Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Malkia Ra:

    Geezus Kryst.

    My first and second homes were in (decent) communities that had a couple Section 8 renters.  You could point those homes out without seeing anyone, as those properties were the worst-kept in the neighborhood.  I made the decision not to rent to Section 8 tenants when the time came, as to avoid my property being destroyed or tenants being a nuisance to neighbors.  (Yes, I'm generalizing, I understand not all Section 8 renters are trashy.) 

    You mentioned your home is in a "VERY decent quiet part of town..." I can't help but wonder why your PM didn't select a better caliber of tenant.  This sounds like an example of when more stock is placed on "guaranteed money" (Section 8) rather than carefully selecting the best-caliber tenant, it will turn into a situation you'll regret.

    I sympathize with you, and wish you the best of luck in this situation.

    Hello.. Thanks for your Kind Words.  The Manager Was Referred To Me That He Can Find 'Good Tenants'. My Mistake was Working with Him. Yes; There ARE Some 'GOOD' Section8.. But This Is A VERY BAD BATCH..

    Also, Section8 Inspects The Home B4 Tenants Move IN. They Should Do The SAME When Tenants Move OUT.

    I May Accept Section8 In The Future, But I WILL Do The SELECTION & Interviews & ALL The Necessary "ON BOARDING" In Person.  Picking The WRONG TENANTS CAN BE VERY COSTLY & TIME CONSUMING.

    I Have LOST  $1000s Over The Past 3 Years & I'm STILL Counting.  SAD..

    I Now PRAY For An END To This Dilemma.  Thanks For your Time & Effort. I'm Truly Grateful.  (Joy Lam)
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.