Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Colorado Real Estate Q&A Discussion Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
4 Plex in Colorado using VA loan

Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Posted Dec 29 2020, 16:17

I am looking to purchase a 4 plex using my VA loan in Colorado. I would like to stay around Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo or at least within an hour of one of the cities. My plan is to buy two a year. I would like to connect with others that might be looking to sell their 4plexs to me and will take a VA financing.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Weber
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Portland, ME
Replied Dec 29 2020, 16:28

@Joseph A Gonzales I'd take a look on the marketplace here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

I'd also surf around on Craigslist and Fbook marketplace to see what you can find. I would suggest being flexible on location and be willing to look closer to that hour away from the cities as your area is super competitive and the VA loan is not the most desirable to a seller. One way to combat that and strengthen your offer will be to write into your offer that you (the buyer) are willing to fix any deficiencies with the home that are flagged by the VA appraiser. Most of these items are going to be small nit picky things but it can help to level the playing field between your offer and the offer from a conventional loan. Good luck!!

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 16:34

@Dan Weber Yes there are no Colorado properties in the market. I checked. Thanks for the other ideas. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Grazier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 16:54

@Joseph A Gonzales you would only be able to buy one property using the VA loan because you have to live in it for a year as your primary residence. And you probably wouldn't be able to get a second VA loan in the same location because you'd probably have a hard time convincing Veterans Affairs that you had to move to a different residence in the same city. You would have to prove that you had some major life change that forced you to move. The VA does not look at this program as an investment tool, they look at it as a benefit to get into a primary residence so they won't let you use it multiple times in the same location.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 16:57

@Stuart Grazier I would refinance it out of the VA loan. So my VA loan would be fully open again. The property would not be under my name anymore. It would be under an LLC after I refinancing it. I am sure there is a way. Just have to find it.

User Stats

Votes
Matt M.
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 16:59

Do they have to be quads? I've been seeing a lot of other plexes off market lately along with quads.

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Grazier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 17:27

@Joseph A Gonzales The VA will catch that very quickly and won't approve a 2nd loan in the same city. Don't try to bend the rules...that's called mortgage fraud.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 17:30

@Stuart Grazier I know what mortgage fraud is haha I am a Realtor and Mortgage Loan Originator, but believe me all you have to do is ASK the VA and they might make it happen / allowed. Just have to follow the VA Pamphlet 26-7. :)

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 29 2020, 18:58

@Stuart Grazier I just do not know how it would be fraud if the veteran lived in the property for 1 year which is required and refinanced it into an LLC loan, and freed up the VA loan to buy again...

User Stats

Votes
Michael C.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Denver
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Denver
Replied Dec 29 2020, 20:35

You would be better off just using traditional financing from the start if you plan to refi out of it. VA loan is great but it's not free.

Va funding fee is up to 3.6%. 
$500k purchase =$18k fee. Then you want to refi your $518k loan + more fees into traditional loan for a higher rate plus PMI (because you won't have 80% LTV in a year or less i.e. $650k appraisal) Then you want to pay the VA funding fee again on your next one. Your trying to get fee'd to death.

Put one propriety (if you can your biggest loan) into va, then leave it va. You only want to pay that fee once. You will have lowest rate on that loan and can be 100% leveraged. 

Use cash flow to save 20% down for next one. 

This is what I’m doing anyway- I paid around $12k va funding fee on first property.
The traditional loan I just did last month on my second property was about $2k loan cost with 20% down. 
If I’m putting money out of pocket I rather it go to paying down the property and not a fee.

User Stats

Votes
Stuart Grazier
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Parker, CO
Replied Dec 30 2020, 04:10

@Joseph A Gonzales I was specifically talking about your first post about trying to do 2 purchases inside a year, using the VA loan on both properties by trying to change title and refinance via an LLC on the first to free up your entitlement. This goes against the purpose of the VA loan.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph A Gonzales
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 30 2020, 07:09

This what I got this morning from the VA site. I asked a question:

The rules for restoring your entitlement so that you can use it on the next purchase is that you no longer own the property and that the VA loan is paid off. You can however request a one-time restoration of entitlement if you have paid the VA loan in full and still own the property and get all your entitlement back to do your next purchase. However any purchases after that using a VA loan will require that both the previous two properties are sold first before you can do another VA loan.

I replied to them if both properties are under an LLC instead of the veterans name will those properties count.

@Stuart Grazier yea sorry about that. I got a little too excited while writing the message. I meant buy the property live in it for a year then refi it into an LLC loan. Then buy another one. I am just trying to see if it is legal. I will post more the more I learn from https://www.va.gov/. I am asking the housing section.