Tips or tricks for evaluating foreclosed flip for a n00b?

Tips or tricks for evaluating foreclosed flip for a n00b?

Durango, CO · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 0 votes

Hey all! 

I am new to BP and considering my first RE investment in Durango CO. I thought I'd throw something out there and see if anyone cared to offer an opinion. 

I am curious for any pointers on how to evaluate a foreclosed home for a "live and flip."

I have found a foreclosed townhome in a small community (4 townhomes) about 15 minute drive outside of the small town of Durango. It needs major, major attention. There is mouse poop in the refrigerator, holes in the walls, some of the outside wood paneling is covered with a sheet of plywood (maybe it used to be a door? Maybe someone drove a car through it? don't know). It's got a nice, big detached garage. 

It is going for 129k. It is "2" bed and 1 bath, although the second bedroom is a bit of a joke - it's actually a really big closet. It's 940 ft^2. I think it would need 15-20k - provided no major/unanticipated issues come up.

One of the other townhomes is for sale. It's about twice the size, three bedrooms 2 bath, and they are asking 309 (dropped from 320). This one is by no means in great shape, but not bad.

How would you guys go about evaluating the potential of this home? If the nicer one sells for 300k, and I could get the foreclosed one into equal or better shape, would... 200k be a reasonable estimated sell price? 180K? Surely half the square footage doesn't equal half the price??

Any guidance for home evaluation would be much appreciated. Thanks BP!

Allie

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon HalleyPro Member
Flipper/Rehabber · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 17 votes
9y

Lets say you think that after it is all fixed up a 2/1 w a garage may be worth 180. So pretend you are a buyer and you have 180 to buy a home. What would you buy? Personally I think I would buy one of the condos for sale in town or up florida rd. So maybe to be competitive you would need to go lower... Also what freaks me out about that property is the HOA. It could be fine but just by looking around that place is not well organized and after talking around I have confirmed it. Also, the cistern water tank in the back yard that supplies the whole complex is a huge flag that screams management has a hard time making good decisions.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon HalleyPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    Lets say you think that after it is all fixed up a 2/1 w a garage may be worth 180. So pretend you are a buyer and you have 180 to buy a home. What would you buy? Personally I think I would buy one of the condos for sale in town or up florida rd. So maybe to be competitive you would need to go lower... Also what freaks me out about that property is the HOA. It could be fine but just by looking around that place is not well organized and after talking around I have confirmed it. Also, the cistern water tank in the back yard that supplies the whole complex is a huge flag that screams management has a hard time making good decisions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    I agree with Brandon. The HOA sounds like it is going to be a headache. I would look else where. If this is the condo complex on HWY 250 and 550 I would stay away. Pinon Heights has a few condos for sale and those are renting at a great price right now. They are in town and have a strong HOA that keeps up with the maitanence.

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Steve Ko @Brandon Halley

    Thanks so much for your 2 cents! I didn't have the best feeling about this place either - I'm glad to hear that confirmed. I appreciate you guys weighing in! 

    Allie

  • Brandon HalleyPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    9y

    With all that being said my best deals were places that everyone else overlooked for one reason or another. Often requiring due diligence and work most people thought was either too hard or impossible. The more you learn the better equipped you will be to find and solve the problems that can put projects out of reach for most folks. 

  • Durango, CO · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Brandon Halley Fair enough. But your first comment makes a lot of sense. Definitely a lot of red flags there. For my first potential investment, that's also kinda scary. 

    Looks like they've dropped the price 19k though - it's down to 110 now. 

    Anyway, thanks for the feedback and response!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.