Fine associated with renting out illegal ADU in San Jose

Fine associated with renting out illegal ADU in San Jose

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 42 votes

What are the consequences of renting out illegal ADU? Are there any daily fine associated with it? How much is it?

Thank you! 

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
5y

@jin This is the best article I've seen which actually gives advice on how to rent out illegally. :> https://www.redoakrealty.com/p...

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    5y

    In San Diego, I am unaware of any local jurisdiction enforcing owner occupied on a traditional ADU when rented for a long term rental (for example a traditional ADU that was built when OO was required). I suspect this is true of San Jose, but I would recommend you go to a local RE meetup and get feedback from local investors if no one can provide a definitive answer here.


    By traditional ADU, these are ADUs that are not Junior ADUs. Junior ADUs require owner occupancy.


    Good luck

  • Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @jin This is the best article I've seen which actually gives advice on how to rent out illegally. :> https://www.redoakrealty.com/p...

  • Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Jim Weller Thanks for sharing that article! An interesting read.

  • Real Estate Agent · Bay Area, CA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Honestly, you shouldn't be worried about the fines associate with renting out an illegal ADU. Your real liability is when your tenant files a lawsuit against you. Do you know if the ADU is completely illegal, or is it just non-conforming use? My recommendation would be to speak with a local real estate lawyer, I can connect you with one if you'd like.

    Also, I recently had a client that had tenants in two separate illegal add-ons on one parcel. They were eventually forced by the city(Menlo Park) to remove their tenants and acquire permits for every change that they made. When it was all set and done, they ended up at a huge loss for their illegal units. 

    That being said, many people successfully operate illegal units, especially here in the Silicon Valley. But, I'd make sure you're in a good position with your neighbors and vet, vet, vet, those tenants. 

    I currently live in San Jose and primarily operate in the South Bay. Reach out to me privately if you have anymore San Jose related questions. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.