Which MLS to join for a new investor in CA with a RE license

Which MLS to join for a new investor in CA with a RE license

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to REI, so please bear with me!

So, I already have my real estate license, but I have zero experience (I don't want to be an agent). I'm looking to do my first REI deal soon, most likely buying a distressed SFR and doing light rehab to flip, but I'm open to other ideas. Researching like crazy, but still a total newb. I do have some savings, and I want to start off with relatively small/safe investments. Since I'm living in Oakland, CA, that means going out of town. I'm looking at some nearby markets (Sacramento, etc), but the Bay Area itself seems like it's out of my league - not just in terms of home prices, but in terms of finding a GC and getting work done in a reasonable amount of time.

That said, I'm trying to decide which MLS to sign up for, and I'm having trouble getting detailed info about the differences in options. I've hung my license with REeBrokers, and to sign up for an MLS, they're giving me the following choices in the photo below.

Any advice or info would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

0Reply
30 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 189 votes
    7y

    Go with the one you think you'll be active in @Nicholas Henry. Also it doesn't make THAT much of a difference. All the bay area MLS's have reciprocity data access but if you are looking at the Sacramento area prob best go with Metrolist. Double check or ask them about access to other MLS.

  • Nic WilliamsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Nicholas Henry if you have any plans of doing anything in the greater Sacramento area, I would definitely go with Metrolist. As previously mentioned, you often get access to different areas through your MLS, and Metrolist gives you Sacramento, Placer, Yolo, Yuba, Sutter, and Nevada counties. And through Metrolist you also get most of the Bay Area from what I can tell.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    From what I've heard, you can also join more than one board (it's called joining a secondary board). That's what I'm going to do because I do business in SoCal but will also be doing some business in Central CA. I read that joining the board as a secondary is cheaper than if you were joining just that board alone.

  • Real Estate Agent · Porterville, CA · Member since 2013 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I used to be a member of MLS Listings when I lived in Monterey County from 2008-2014. They had access to the central coast, the bay area, some Northern CA Counties, LA and San Diego.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.