Which credit card do you use for your STR expenses

Which credit card do you use for your STR expenses

Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 32 votes

Hi all-

Just curious which credit cards everybody uses to charge all of their STR expenses? We just finished up our first summer with an STR and would like to streamline everything moving forward with a credit card dedicated to this STR.

Thanks!

0Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

Capital One Spark Business. 2% back on everything. 

I use a credit  card of some sort for almost everything I buy. I pay the bills off in full each month no matter what I put on it. I'd buy a house on it if they'd let me.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I prefer debit cards and cash. But there is a school of thought that says to have 2 cards, 1 that gathers airline miles and the other that gains redeemable points.

  • Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
    4y

    I just use a citizens double cash card that gets me 2% back. Probably should transition to an actual business card at some point though.

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
    4y

    I just got an offer from AMEX for a business card that gets 2% cash back and $500 bonus in first year for certain spend levels. Think I’ll probably get it.

  • Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Thank you for all of the suggestions! We already have a travel card for our other business so I'm thinking a cash back card as well since the categories we purchase from don't usually line up with rewards cards.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Capital One Spark Business. 2% back on everything. 

    I use a credit  card of some sort for almost everything I buy. I pay the bills off in full each month no matter what I put on it. I'd buy a house on it if they'd let me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Wrentham, MA · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 104 votes
    4y

    I use a fidelity visa. I get 2% cash back on every purchase with no limits and no annual fee. My analysis should it to be better than any of the travel cards.  I put everything possible on the card. Pays me over $100/month. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    4y

    Discover Miles. I think most people should at least look at it for the first year double-miles bonus, which comes out to 3%. We've always liked Discover for the customer service but the miles pile up nicely and redemption is easy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff I’m with you. My life is simpler without credit cards. Though I do wonder if I could actually use our normal biz spending to generate reduced flight costs, ie travel rewards. Not sure it’s worth the hassle.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 66 votes
    4y

    @Pam Smith

    Might want to check out the “All the Hacks”podcast. They had a recent episode along these lines.

  • Property Manager · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 728 posts · 596 votes
    4y

    @Pam Smith

    Lowes as they give 5٪ back on all purchases.

  • Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    Thanks @Account Closed I'll also take a look at the Lowe's credit card as we get a ton of stuff there for our place. 

    We also always pay off our bills every month in full so it makes the most sense to get something back for our money!

  • Ryan MoyerBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Orlando Kissimmee Davenport Salt Lake City, Park City · Member since 2019 · 991 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I am one of those CC points hoarding freaks that spends my free time reading about how to maximize credit card rewards.

    I think really you have 3 options.

    1) Amex Blue Business Preferred - 2 membership rewards points on all purchases.  Note that Membership rewards points are roughly twice as valuable as equivalent cash by most points site's valuations.  Most of these sites value 1 MR point = 2 cents.  So getting 2% back in MR points on any purchase means you're essentially getting 4% back on all purchases once you factor in the value of a MR point.

    2) Capital One Spark Business - 2% back.  This is "cash" which is not as valuable as MR points, but the nice thing here is you can redeem them AFTER a purchase to "erase" that purchase.  That means you can still pay for an expense to use for tax purposes, and then "wipe" it afterwards.  So IE if you needed to book a flight to check on one of your properties and you spend $500 on that, if you booked that flight with your MR points you would have nothing to write-off as an expense.  With this card you would book for $500, expense it, and then redeem the miles against that purchase later.


    3) Chase Business Ink Cash - 5% on a lot of common STR utlities like cable/internet/etc. Only 1% on everything else so you'd have to do the math whether the 5% categories make up the difference on that or not. If you have a premium ultimate rewards card you can transfer these points to that UR account which effectively doubles their value (similar to the AMEX membership rewards points) so it's almost like you're earning 10% in those utility categories and 2% on everything else.

    IMO the flexibility of membership rewards and Chase Ultimate rewards far outweighs actual cash back because with a little bit of effort you can get a lot more back in redemption.  For instance I just booked a flight to Hawaii for our family where the ticket cost was $1200, but I was able to book it for 50,000 points I transferred out of my Chase ultimate rewards to those airline miles instead.  If I had redeemed those 50,000 points for cash I would have only gotten back $500 on them.

    Cosmic Vacations4.9174 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 32 votes
    4y

    @Ryan Moyer thank you so much! We have the suite of products for chase ultimate rewards for my other business and personally and we love it. I've been thinking about adding the Amex MR to our suite so perhaps we'll do this for the STR. Our cleaners allow us to charge their cleaning bills to our credit card for no fee so this is where we really rack up the points!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.