Vacation rental condo vs Traditional condo for STR

Vacation rental condo vs Traditional condo for STR

Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes

Hello bigger pockets forum,

If you had to buy a vacation rental property, would you buy into an association specifically for vacation rentals or a traditional condo that allows rentals?

I'm considering purchasing a vacation rental and it feels like a traditional condo might be better if things went wrong. Which one would you choose?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
5y

Neither. I'd buy a house. 

Minimum of 3 bedrooms.

I would absolutely steer clear of any HOA properties.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    5y

    Neither. I'd buy a house. 

    Minimum of 3 bedrooms.

    I would absolutely steer clear of any HOA properties.

  • Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
    5y

    Vacation rental condos or “condotels” are much harder to get loans on now. Higher rates and more money down, so be prepared for that.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y

    What @John Underwood said. NO condos. Ever. Not in the STR business. You really want other people telling you how to run your place?

  • Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    No condos whatsoever seems to be the agreement. Thank you everyone for your input and opening my eyes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.