Airbnb Pinellas County St. Petersburg Florida

Airbnb Pinellas County St. Petersburg Florida

Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2018 · 110 posts · 113 votes

Hi everyone!

I am starting an Airbnb In St. Petersburg Florida and received an email from a friend realtor that really worried me. Pretty much, it was a city rules and regulations article that banned short term rentals in Pinellas County.

Does anyone run an Airbnb in St. Pete that can give me some pointers on the required paperwork so I don’t get fined? There are a LOT of listings near my house.

3Reply
61 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
6y

Plenty of people do it, but St Pete doesn't allow it. Treasure Island has areas that do, as does Dunedin, and the entire city of Gulfport just allowed it. Clearwater does not allow STR and actively pursues violators. Clearwater Beach has, IIRC, 33 properties that are grandfathered in, and of course worth their weight in gold.

Pinellas County has 24 incorporated municipalities, and then there's all the unincorporated parts that are governed by County rules. Each city will have its own rules and areas that allow STR and each has to be researched if you want to stay above board. I lean toward the State making the rules the same all over, although I agree with the cities that don't want the STate to tell them how to run their business, too.

In no particular order:

Belleair

North Redington Beach

Belleair Beach

Oldsmar

Belleair Bluffs

Pinellas Park

Belleair Shore

Redington Beach

Clearwater

Redington Shores

Dunedin

Safety Harbor

Gulfport

St. Pete Beach

Indian Rocks Beach

St. Petersburg

Indian Shores

Seminole

Kenneth City

South Pasadena

Largo

Tarpon Springs

Madeira Beach

Treasure Island

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Following as I have a similar question!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    6y
    Just because there are a lot of STR's close to your house doesn't mean they are operating legally.
    I would check with your code enforcement office and zoning/permitting office and see if you can do this legally.
    If you can't be legal you will always be worrying when you will get shut down.
  • Rental Property Investor · Port Orange, FL · Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Looked into St. Pete at one point but the city only allows 3 stays per year in certain zones. Application process is lengthy and expensive. 

    https://www.stpete.org/planning_zoning/docs/Short%20Term%20Rentals%20HANDOUT.pdf

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    This is a common theme right now throughout the country as the vacation rental industry continues to mushroom.  Municipalities everywhere are waking up to the realities.  It is quite common that neighborhoods - and even cities - are not zoned for short term rentals.  And honestly, I don't want to wake up one day and discover that half of my block has turned into a bed and breakfast.

    If the neighborhood you are looking at isn't zoned for STRs, then walk away.  If you do otherwise, you are inviting a host of problems.

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    6y

    Plenty of people do it, but St Pete doesn't allow it. Treasure Island has areas that do, as does Dunedin, and the entire city of Gulfport just allowed it. Clearwater does not allow STR and actively pursues violators. Clearwater Beach has, IIRC, 33 properties that are grandfathered in, and of course worth their weight in gold.

    Pinellas County has 24 incorporated municipalities, and then there's all the unincorporated parts that are governed by County rules. Each city will have its own rules and areas that allow STR and each has to be researched if you want to stay above board. I lean toward the State making the rules the same all over, although I agree with the cities that don't want the STate to tell them how to run their business, too.

    In no particular order:

    Belleair

    North Redington Beach

    Belleair Beach

    Oldsmar

    Belleair Bluffs

    Pinellas Park

    Belleair Shore

    Redington Beach

    Clearwater

    Redington Shores

    Dunedin

    Safety Harbor

    Gulfport

    St. Pete Beach

    Indian Rocks Beach

    St. Petersburg

    Indian Shores

    Seminole

    Kenneth City

    South Pasadena

    Largo

    Tarpon Springs

    Madeira Beach

    Treasure Island

  • Real Estate Agent · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I am not aware of St. Petersburg enforcing the short-term rental rules despite them not being allowed. I believe the Gulf Beaches, Clearwater/Clearwater Beach and Dunedin are the most strict on enforcement.

  • Real Estate Agent · Treasure Island, FL · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    I sell a lot of STR. Indian Rocks Beach allows short term all over (no minimum). As a general guideline, anything directly off Gulf Blvd is zoned hotel/nightly and most of the time to the west of gulf on the sand (but always check this is just a general guideline). I hadn't heard about Gulfport, I will have to look into that. Sunset Beach of Treasure Island has some STR otherwise the rest is 5 XS per year. And I have heard of the city enforcing this on TI and Madeira. Usually its when a neighbor complains and the city looks into it. Otherwise hard to track, but you don't want to get red flagged then you are not allowed to rent AT ALL!! So I've seen owners end up selling because they purchased the homes only for short term rental purposes. Redington is patchy with where you are allowed. Madeira is mostly 3 month minimum. Always best to check with the cities themselves and also you usually have to get a business license. I'm not sure what the process is in St Pete but for the beaches its nothing major. Like $35 to register the property as business and then also some you have to register with the DBPR.

  • Rental Property Investor · Billerica, MA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    We have a place in TI with a Monthly minimum.  We also have one in Clearwater with a nightly rental.  We've been looking for more and have found them, but one didn't even allow it to be rented and the other was long term.  Both in TI.  The nightly rental is the best up in Clearwater, but the TI one is perfect for snowbirds as well, but not consistent year round.  Anyone have a property manager near TI?  Looking for someone that can fill it 80% of the year...Thanks! Johnny

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
    6y

    I have an AirBNB at Indian Rocks Beach.  It is booked 100% for the month of January and February.  On the odd weeknights that weren't booked up, I lowered the prices to half the weekend rates.  Every night filled up with locals that just want to stay by the beach.  The key is consistent managing of the pricing.  If you aren't booked up, then lower the prices.  The cleaning fee stays the same so you can still make money on that end as well.  Some money is better than no money, is what I say.  

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hi All! I recently acquired a rental in St. Pete and have been consulting with a Management company I am very excited to partner with. With that said, and from the research I have done there are requirements Pinellas county and the City of St. Pete have defined, but there are a lack of resources for enforcement. I am a big believer in due diligence and stress testing from mistakes I have made in the past investing in real estate, so I decided to begin my due diligence process to determine whether I should convert to STR instead of LTR by booking two weeks in St. Pete and three different places through AirBnB. These properties were all in different locations (one in Historic Kenwood, one in Downtown St. Pete, and the other farther north off of 275). There did not appear to be any complications with these rentals and they all had lots of reviews which indicates a good/consistent amount of activity to me. One of the rentals I stayed at was in the process of converting the other two units on the property to STR and removing LTR. This included significant renovations as well! With all of this said, it does not mean that something could change, but from my discussions with local AirBnB owners, and Management companies the theme seems to be that there is a lack of enforcement. If we are able effectively manage our properties, and improve them through renovations as investors, we are supporting the St. Pete community through improved housing and tourism demand. I am a huge advocate for the AirBnB platform and hope to see momentum in this space in the future, and ideally become a host in the area since my recent acquisition. Thanks all!

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Michael Moskos Thanks for the info! Are you sure they are operating legally though? Everything I see and talk to around the town of St Pete downtown area and St Pete Beach area says that you are able to STR your property BUT only 3 times per year. Did you find out otherwise?

  • Rental Property Investor · CT · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 7 votes
    5y
    Hi Dan,

    Curious as to where it says STR are now allowed in Gulfport?   They have been but are restricted to 3x a year for STR.  Did that recently change to something more liberal?

    I had read the state was taking over the regulations but the most recent article I could find was last year.

    If it’s more liberal, especially now that tourism here has boomed, that would be awesome.

    TIA!


    Originally posted by @Dan Maciejewski:

    Plenty of people do it, but St Pete doesn't allow it. Treasure Island has areas that do, as does Dunedin, and the entire city of Gulfport just allowed it. Clearwater does not allow STR and actively pursues violators. Clearwater Beach has, IIRC, 33 properties that are grandfathered in, and of course worth their weight in gold.

    Pinellas County has 24 incorporated municipalities, and then there's all the unincorporated parts that are governed by County rules. Each city will have its own rules and areas that allow STR and each has to be researched if you want to stay above board. I lean toward the State making the rules the same all over, although I agree with the cities that don't want the STate to tell them how to run their business, too.

    In no particular order:

    Belleair

    North Redington Beach

    Belleair Beach

    Oldsmar

    Belleair Bluffs

    Pinellas Park

    Belleair Shore

    Redington Beach

    Clearwater

    Redington Shores

    Dunedin

    Safety Harbor

    Gulfport

    St. Pete Beach

    Indian Rocks Beach

    St. Petersburg

    Indian Shores

    Seminole

    Kenneth City

    South Pasadena

    Largo

    Tarpon Springs

    Madeira Beach

    Treasure Island

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Jake Boss - what are your sources for the 3 times per year STR requirement in St. Petersburg? Also, was this specific to downtown St. Pete and the beach front area?

    Thanks!

    Mike

  • Investor · Tallahassee · Member since 2019 · 249 posts · 93 votes
    5y

    @Michael Moskos the 3 times per year is indeed in the rules for STR. STR rules clause b. I am really interested in how people are doing airbnb though because I have heard some places in Pinellas County are less strict but I am assuming this rule pretty much applies and the city can shut you down anytime

  • Real Estate Agent · Greater Tampa Bay · Member since 2017 · 392 posts · 290 votes
    5y

    @Yu Liu Clearwater is BY FAR the most strict municipality on STR in Pinellas County. St. Pete only allows 3 stays under 30 days per 12 months. So not necessarily per year but per trailing 12 months.

    Most people continue to operate STR illegally because unless the are major complaints, code enforcement isn't shutting them down in most municipalities. St. Pete Beach is more strict than St. Pete. Smaller municipalities like Madeira Beach & Redington Beach have rules in place but they are barely enforced from my experience.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.