How would you equip 3 bedrooms for sleeping?

How would you equip 3 bedrooms for sleeping?

Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 62 votes

How would you furnish 3 bedrooms for sleeping? I am purchasing a 3 bedroom home with an ADU. My husband and I will be living in the ADU and using the main house as an STR.

The property is in a residential area and not really walk able to any restaurants/attractions. I am not sure what type of guest we will attract but I have a feeling it will be families. Looking at the numbers, being able to sleep 8-10 would be advantageous. 

Here is what I am thinking...

Bedroom 1: King bed

Bedroom 2: Queen bed

Bedroom 3: Two twin bunk beds? Two full beds? two twin XL beds?

Living room: Daybed with trundle (doubles as a couch)? Queen sleeper sofa?

I am worried that bunk beds are too child-ish and might turn off larger groups of adults. However, I'd rather cater to families than large groups of adults that might have bad intentions... In your experience, do families with lots of kids use Airbnb? Is it better to keep a more mature look?

Any insights from hosts would be appreciated!

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2016 路 541 posts 路 715 votes
6y
Originally posted by @Rachel Hughes:

How would you furnish 3 bedrooms for sleeping? I am purchasing a 3 bedroom home with an ADU. My husband and I will be living in the ADU and using the main house as an STR.

The property is in a residential area and not really walk able to any restaurants/attractions. I am not sure what type of guest we will attract but I have a feeling it will be families. Looking at the numbers, being able to sleep 8-10 would be advantageous. 

Here is what I am thinking...

Bedroom 1: King bed

Bedroom 2: Queen bed

Bedroom 3: Two twin bunk beds? Two full beds? two twin XL beds?

Living room: Daybed with trundle (doubles as a couch)? Queen sleeper sofa?

I am worried that bunk beds are too child-ish and might turn off larger groups of adults. However, I'd rather cater to families than large groups of adults that might have bad intentions... In your experience, do families with lots of kids use Airbnb? Is it better to keep a more mature look?

Any insights from hosts would be appreciated!

First thing I鈥檇 do is search for Superhosts nearby whose calendar is full & copy them. I did that in the past & it has worked quite swimmingly 馃憤

I鈥檓 sure now someone will copy me & it should work out quite well for them as well

Sometimes its good to be a leader. Other times it works just fine to copy others who have already figured it out

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor 路 Greer, SC 路 Member since 2014 路 13k+ posts 路 17k+ votes
    6y

    I have a 3 bedroom house. I have 2 Queens in each room to maximize occupancy and maximize revenue.

    I have over 100  5 star reviews on VRBO so this must be working out ok.

  • Residential Real Estate Investor and Broker 路 New Orleans, LA 路 Member since 2016 路 55 posts 路 19 votes
    6y

    As many beds as possible, while having one king, 2 queens (if possible). Doubles are good. Bunks are ok too if they have a tilted ladder (go try climbing into a bunk bed as a adult!). Sleeper sofas-good.Have some roll aways that you keep in a closet plus some queen air beds. 

     A 3 bedroom house might very well attract groups. Like me and my friends get together every year. There are 8 of us and all of us want our own bed! 

    It's going to be very hard for you to control WHO exactly rents your place. I have lots of groups of young people who are there to party in my city. They are perfectly fine in my house. I have a Noise Aware monitor and strict rules about no parties or loud noise. 

    Hard to know who is loud too. My friends (all women and all up there in age) are ridiculously LOUD. So, we book places that are not up close to other houses...we are considerate, after all. :)

    One of the loudest guests I've had was a young couple with a toddler-the child screamed constantly and banged pots/pans!

  • Investor 路 Roseville, CA 路 Member since 2016 路 893 posts 路 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Rachel Hughes  You will probably want to get a better idea on your guest pool at least a little before deciding.  But we do King, Queen and Twin over Full bunkbed for our Vacation Rental which is meant to appeal to families.  If you are going to get Corporate travelers or some other demographic then the bunks might not work well and would be better with 2 twins or some other floor combination. 

    Good luck and congrats on your purchase! 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    6y

    I would only maximize the number of beds if it's likely to suit gatherings, meaning more than one family or group. For example, I live in a tourist area where several couples or 2-3 families will try to meet for a larger vacation. That's when it's nice to have the maximum amount of sleep space. You also need to consider parking, capacity of home (water heater, # of bathrooms, square footage, etc.), additional wear and tear, etc.

    If you expect couples, singles, or a standard family, then I wouldn't try cramming in too many people. I'm thinking one King, one Queen, and a bunk bed that is Queen on the bottom and twin on top. That would sleep up to seven comfortably. You could have the sleeper sofa or futon in the living room for over-flow if you want.

    Another tip: I recommend pricing the rental based on the # of people that can sleep in beds and then charge extra for anything above that with a hard occupancy limit. In this example, you could say $200 for up to 7 people in beds and up to three more people at $XX per person per night with a maximum limit of 10 people.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2016 路 541 posts 路 715 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Hughes:

    How would you furnish 3 bedrooms for sleeping? I am purchasing a 3 bedroom home with an ADU. My husband and I will be living in the ADU and using the main house as an STR.

    The property is in a residential area and not really walk able to any restaurants/attractions. I am not sure what type of guest we will attract but I have a feeling it will be families. Looking at the numbers, being able to sleep 8-10 would be advantageous. 

    Here is what I am thinking...

    Bedroom 1: King bed

    Bedroom 2: Queen bed

    Bedroom 3: Two twin bunk beds? Two full beds? two twin XL beds?

    Living room: Daybed with trundle (doubles as a couch)? Queen sleeper sofa?

    I am worried that bunk beds are too child-ish and might turn off larger groups of adults. However, I'd rather cater to families than large groups of adults that might have bad intentions... In your experience, do families with lots of kids use Airbnb? Is it better to keep a more mature look?

    Any insights from hosts would be appreciated!

    First thing I鈥檇 do is search for Superhosts nearby whose calendar is full & copy them. I did that in the past & it has worked quite swimmingly 馃憤

    I鈥檓 sure now someone will copy me & it should work out quite well for them as well

    Sometimes its good to be a leader. Other times it works just fine to copy others who have already figured it out

  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor 路 Nashua, NH 路 Member since 2014 路 587 posts 路 477 votes
    6y

    I have a 3BR STR myself and don't think there is a one sized fits all approach here. As @Jon Crosby says, staring with the end in mind in knowing your target guest persona is really helpful in determining what types of beds you want to equip a space with. 

    To illustrate this, I'll use my own: 3BR, STR. My target market from the beginning was young couples with a small children, since this particular persona will like split costs and be amenable to a higher per night rate, as well as being the type of guests that are young enough to be vacationing in that area and looking for lodging after hiking, skiing, etc.

    For that reason I went with 1 queen, 2 doubles, 2 bunk beds. This gives me the flexibility of having a couple in the queen room, another couple (or unrelated pair) in the double room, and kids in the bunk room. Sure that bunk room鈥檚 not going to be one that most grown adults would choose, but I鈥檝e had plenty of larger families where they make it work. 

    One thing I did not expect was feedback from cleaners that bunk beds are understandable harder to turnover, extending the time and cost required for rental turnovers between guests. Some cleaners actually refused to even handle a rental with bunk beds (and those cleaners are cleaning other rentals now). 

    Again, start with the end in mind, put yourself in the shoes of your ideal guest (even if it鈥檚 not what you鈥檒l get to start), and base your bed choices off what arrangement suits them best (and your physical space allows). Personally, I鈥檓 not looking to maximize headcount and wear and tear on furnishings, but actually intentionally capping the number of folks using the space because I鈥檓 more concerned about providing a lodging experience as customized to my target market as possible. 

  • Hatfield, PA 路 Member since 2012 路 1k+ posts 路 629 votes
    6y

    This is a very simple solution. The largest bed that each room fits. Don't know why everyone keeps overthinking it. They're bedrooms. People sleep in them. It has been showing the larger the bed the higher the rate on average.

  • SD 路 Member since 2016 路 8 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    I second the thought on researching the higher producing properties and just copy them. Airdna has that information, it's a paid-for service to get this information, but you can just do your research and cancel. I'd also look at adding hideabeds in the common areas. :) Our STR is small only one bedroom and we've got a queen in the room with 2 couches that both fold-out, technically we could get 6 in there but we'd have to rearrange furniture to do that LOL!..so we say 5.

  • Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 62 votes
    6y

    @Cliff H. Good info. Thank you!!

  • Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 62 votes
    6y

    @Julie Groth Thanks for the input! Maybe you and your friends can come stay at my place this year ;)

  • Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 62 votes
    6y

    @Jon Crosby Smart! I'm thinking I should furnish it in the most economical way at first, find out who my customer is, then adjust as needed.

    @Jon Crosby

  • Investor 路 Idaho Falls, ID 路 Member since 2019 路 85 posts 路 62 votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner Thanks for the input. Parking is limited and the home only has one bathroom. I hadn't taken that into consideration. How do you manage if the guest is not honest about the # of people? 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker 路 Cody, WY 路 Member since 2010 路 28k+ posts 路 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Rachel Hughes:

    @Nathan Gesner Thanks for the input. Parking is limited and the home only has one bathroom. I hadn't taken that into consideration. How do you manage if the guest is not honest about the # of people? 

    Short of driving by ever few hours, it's pretty hard to verify and enforce. However, you should have a penalty in place so that you can whack them if they do get caught.

    One thing you could consider is a RING doorbell or something similar that allows you to monitor the main entrance of the home. This would allow you to see who comes and goes. You can sell it to the tenants as a security device or a way for them to reach you upon check-in if they have questions, etc. Just make sure you disclose it.

    Even that isn't fool-proof because they can just sneak someone in through the back door or a side window. But it helps.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • New Bern, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 246 posts 路 173 votes
    6y

    @Jon Crosby

    My husband and I gave the same set up in our two STRs - king, queen, and twin over full bunk. We do tend to attract lots of families and have had great guests so far.

    We do not have pull out sofas in the living room because we are trying to cater to the small family since we are in a quiet neighborhood. Fun bonus, we put pool tables (and portable A.C. and heaters) in the garages. That gets us great reviews.

    I love STRs! Super rewarding!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA 路 Member since 2016 路 8k+ posts 路 7k+ votes
    6y
    I will buck the trend a bit. We have a King in the master and a queen futon in the sitting area. Each of the other bedrooms has a single queen. The kids bunkroom is just that, a pair of bunkbeds and setup for kids.

    We do have a queen hid-a-bed as well, but it is not advertised as a sleeping space. If they have a couple who visits, we allow that for an overnight at no charge.

    I personally don't want to share a bedroom with another couple if we are traveling together so I surmised that most others wouldn't as well.
  • Investor 路 Orlando, FL 路 Member since 2012 路 312 posts 路 165 votes
    6y

    If you can squeeze in larger beds to each room that would be better

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.