AirBnB Income Calculation Spreadsheet

AirBnB Income Calculation Spreadsheet

Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes

AirBnB Income Calculations

Starting out in 2018 I rented out rooms in my house. I got continuous traffic, albeit small potatoes, but besides the joy of meeting interesting people and hosting, the greatest benefit was 5 months of data and good reviews (thanks to my Tito’s Margarita recipe!). In 2019 I decided to only rent my house while I was out of town, sometimes working around my guests stay (i.e. sleeping in my truck or taking leave to get out of town and go camping) I even considered getting a trailer and living on base part time, but I instead opted to buy another house to do a live and flip. I will be doing full time AirBnB on this house starting the end of the month and expect to gross $2000/mo, if I average between 15-20 days booked. I will continue to clean the house when I am able, but I will try to hand over the cleaning responsibility to a company I trust and can rely on to get in and out on an atypical schedule. If you decide to read any further, you’ll see that my calculations are pretty simple, but they will lead you to a product that can give you a quick synopsis of your short term rental situation, and whether the best route to go is AirBnB or traditional Long-term rental.

First rule of any spreadsheet calculation is: ‘garbage in = garbage out.’ Identifying your independent variables and making sure that they are not garbage is step numero uno. For my AirBnB Income Calculation spreadsheet, I take the average of the area (no filter) through a quick AirBnB search without dates, then I take a filtered average of the area (specific to my rental: i.e. number of rooms, bathrooms, beds, pets allowed, etc.) and use the average of both minus 10% of the Max of the averages (because I want to be competitive in the market and to provide conservative estimates). This will give you the expected average value of one night in your house, the AirBnB Avg Nightly Price.

Table 1. Calculated AirBnB Avg Nightly Price.

Now I have my nightly income. The second step in my spreadsheet is to calculate the total costs of my house: Mortgage, Insurance, Taxes, Utilities, Cleaning Services, Lawn Care Services, and add them up for a Monthly Property Cost.

Table 2. Calculated Monthly Property Costs.

Here’s where the magic happens. I create a Day Count from 1 to 30 in a Row, or Array, corresponding with each numbered cell I calculate the Monthly ROI (Return on Investment) showing you that under, or next to, cell 15 that for 15 nights I have an ROI of $293.93 and cell 12 that for 12 nights I have an ROI of -$84.67.

Table 3. Array of days occupied to see AirBnB ROI.

This is extremely valuable for estimating AirBnB income in any area and determining if the juice is worth the squeeze. It can be used to find a breakeven point and even compare that to the Long-term Rental Averages in the area. Using the same formulas and procedures above create another array from 1 to 30 of for a Long-term Rental Monthly ROI broken down by night. Assuming the property will not need the utilities and cleaning services, your Monthly Property Costs will be lower for Long-term Rentals. This is huge! If you cannot beat the Long-term Rental Monthly ROI after 15 days, it is probably not worth putting on AirBnB in an average market.

However, you can see your potential AirBnB earnings can reach 2x or 3x your earnings for a long-term rental with a total of just 20 days booked. To visualize this, take the AirBnB Monthly ROI Data (and Annual ROI Data) and the Long-term Monthly ROI (and Annual ROI Data) and plot them versus your day count array on a line graph.

Graph 1. ROI for Days Occupied. Line Graph of AirBnB Annual and Monthly Income and Long-term Rental Annual and Monthly Income.

You can see points of interest, where the Annual data lines overlap and Monthly data lines overlap, this is the break-even point for AirBnB and Long-term rentals. If you're in a "hot market" you can conservatively assume you will hit an average of 20 nights a month booked on AirBnB. However, in a standard market, the AirBnB calculator on their website will spit out a "What you could make" estimate based on 15 nights rented out. This might be a good estimate off the bat, but leaves something to be desired. It doesn't tell you that you might need to pay HOA fees, or that your mortgage is too high, or that your neighborhood is sketchy and no one wants to rent out your house because you're in the sticks. As you test the waters, modify the calculations, or better yet, compare your actuals to the predicted data. If you find you're not making what you thought you would, change up your AirBnB tactics (i.e. find a cheaper cleaning service, get professional photos taken, have a minimum of 2-nights per stay, make your cancellation policy more stringent/less stringent, minimize pricing, spruce up your house, etc.) or cut-rope and rent out with long-term leases.

I'm a huge spreadsheet geek. I graduated from the University of Texas (Hook’em!) with an Aerospace Engineering degree and I can’t imagine getting through college without Excel! My works or art may not have the same elegance as other spreadsheets, but they are simple and I have confidence in them to show me an accurate story of my investments. Below is my actual data from AirBnB that shows my gross income for 2018 and 2019, as you can see I made more money in 2019 even though my nights booked were nearly a third the amount the previous year. My average nightly price crept up as I got better reviews, but it wasn’t until I made this spreadsheet that I realized I was charging way less than what I should. My last month of 2019 I grossed $1600 for 13 nights booked ($123/night) – a number which I got to with my handy-dandy AirBnB Income Calculator. In April I took a break from AirBnB and rented out my rooms to a couple roommates, $1200/mo total, and was able to justify the price based on the AirBnB income. This break has allowed me to spruce up my place with a DIY patio and a planter/screen in the backyard to provide more privacy and outdoor seating area. It also gave me time to recharge and revector so that I can optimize my life. But now I’m ready and raring to hit the market again! More data to come, hopefully verifying my predictions!

Table 4. Actual AirBnB data for 2018 and 2019.

None of this is Rocket Science, I’m sure plenty of you out there use similar tools, probably prettier and fancier, please make suggestions and critiques if you have them! This is my first post, please let me know if you have questions, comments, or suggestions for the future! 

P.S. I know my tables are janky, if you would like the spreadsheet, just reach out to me on BP.

25
Topic locked
326 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

I keep it even simpler.  My minimal rental is one week.  I don't fool around with a daily rate.  Most of my tenants stay a month or two, they are refinery contractors.

My cleaning lady does the work for free.

6
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    i find the 2-3× rent a fantasy for the most part.

    i make more converting to high cost furnished rentals,  adjusted for str additional costs, than as a str in a popular tourist town

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    @Ken Latchers Yeah Ken, you might not be able to see the numbers, but the average did come out to 3x the LTR expected income (guesstimated at $94/mo). I'm sure this is not an accross the board phenomoena, I only have 6 months of Data, and every area is defferent (I would not call Shreveport a popular tourist town - more like people are driven from the downtown hotels because of the high crime rates...no. 18 on the Murder Capital List of 2018 nbd), but if you're doing well with what you're doing then keep doing what you're doing, dude! 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @William M.:

     people are driven from the downtown hotels because of the high crime rates...no. 18 on the Murder Capital List of 2018 nbd)

    We had 5 homicides in my town of 9500 in '17.  That puts us right behind Baltimore and Chicago on a per capita basis.  I live in Hades Kansas (Coffeyville).

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu You have a 1 in 16 chance of being a victim of a violent crime here.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @William M.:

    @Paul Sandhu You have a 1 in 16 chance of being a victim of a violent crime here.

    The town next to me is South Coffeyville Oklahoma.  A few years ago I had 63 contractors as tenants.  I kept track for 28 days of who had interactions with the police.  One guy had interaction with my home town police, hit & run.  The other 62 had none.  But in South Coffeyville, 16 out of 63 had police interactions.  That's basically a 1 in 16 chance of being shaken down by a corrupt police department and court system.  South Coffeyville police are corrupt, and so is their court system.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    6y

    @Paul Sandhu You should run for Mayor!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    Paul as mayor.  Everyone who comes into his office will be queried whether they need housing.  There are 23 units available in the cooler part of Hades, but they are all air conditioned.

    2
    Topic locked
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Ken Latchers:

    Paul as mayor.  Everyone who comes into his office will be queried whether they need housing.  There are 23 units available in the cooler part of Hades, but they are all air conditioned.

    They have to pass a drug screen too.  That's my official day job.  If they pass the screen, they get a pen or a calendar of scantily clad women. Both with my advertising on it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Augustine, FL · Member since 2018 · 102 posts · 58 votes
    6y
    Great stuff here. I would love to check out your spreadsheet too!
    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hi,  

    @William McAdams Lenoir

    I'm just getting started with my first Airbnb and would like to use your air bnb calculator.  I would like to forcast my profits and can't seem to find a short term rental calculator. 

    Thank you in advance

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Hello @William M. - great stuff. Would you be willing to share the spreadsheet? Also, when you are calculating the area average do you just use the neighborhood or the city/town (for example, for properties that are closer to the ocean or other amenities)? Thanks

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    William, I'm considering purchasing property in Las Vegas as an Airbnb rental and would really appreciate access to this spreadsheet. 

    Best, Andy

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    This is golden. It's good that you've had the data from your own property to build the model for your own. Agree on the Garbage-in and Garbage-out part. Having accurate data should be the starting point. 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Hi William! I am trying to run numbers to see if my wife and I should move forward with our plans to buy a particular lake property for Airbnb. I ran across your article and could really use your sheet. How can I get a copy?

    Thanks!

    Charlie 

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    UPDATE:

    To be honest I've been a bit overwhelmed with everyone requesting my spreadsheet. So I've cleaned it up, putting it through some testing, and will be selling it to anyone who wants to download it from my Etsy Shop for $10! My intention is to provide any Real Estate Owners the opportunity to compare potential Vacation Rental (VR) Income to Long Term Rental (LTR) Income. Additionally I will have a month-by-month break-out of Income and Expenses so that you can compare your actuals to the predicted income values. Potentially, this could be used to capture seasonal patterns as well. 

    Thanks everyone for your support! I'm glad that this endeavor will be helping people make big decisions about their Real Estate Investment options.

    Stay tuned for the Link to download the Spreadsheet!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    Ok yall! I have uploaded a Spreadsheet to my Etsy Store, just $10, instant download! https://www.etsy.com/WLSignatu...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2021 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @William M. This is great and very visual. Was thinking on doing similar. Do you mind sharing your spreadsheet? Thank you

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Alpine, TX · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 30 votes
    5y

    @Gerardo Azpeitia thanks for the comment! I am selling a new and improved version on Etsy for $10

    Excited to share this item from my #etsy shop: Vacation Rental Income Estimator https://etsy.me/2LNxP9o

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Agent · Tulsa OK / San Diego CA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Hey William and all,

    Inspired by this post and my clients in need of a solid way to analyse Airbnbs, I completely reworked a property analysis template and wanted to include it here for everyone. I have implemented the same cool graphs and data ranges that you see here while improving upon the income and expense assumptions you can make to accurately gauge your property. This spreadsheet allows you to estimate accurate monthly income by including a way to account for various price discounts. With this spreadsheet, you can also count for Airbnb rental arbitrage alongside your traditional, buying and Airbnb-ing the property.

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Posted on the Google Drive link above, it is the master copy for you to simply download or copy and save to your own Drive. This meant that any bug-fixes and improvements that are made will be automatically updated to the link. Download, change, then comment back with improvements you've made so we can keep making it better. Have fun!

    2
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    That is pretty creative. Love the grind!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Chattanooga TN · Member since 2021 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    5y
    Nice work, Thanks!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    William, are you able to share that spreadsheet?

    Thanks!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    William, are you able to share that spreadsheet?

    Thanks!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    William, would love a copy of your spreadsheet. Just getting started and trying to run the numbers is overwhelming.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Montgomery, TX · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Sounds like an awesome tool. I would love to get a copy if you could send it to me via a link since BP won’t allow posting of emails.  Did you end up trying any AirDNA or dynamic pricing services?

    0
    Topic locked