Does Anybody Rent a Room in Their Primary Residence?

Does Anybody Rent a Room in Their Primary Residence?

Rental Property Investor · Delray Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 169 votes

Does anybody rent a room in their own house that they currently live in? I don't mean a separate rental you own. I mean your current primary residence. 

I just bought a new 3/2 primary. I'm a single guy, so I basically have a guest bed and guest bath that are going to be fully furnished yet never get used otherwise. I do work during the week and I'm not sure about having strangers in my house when I'm not home, but I was considering the idea of trying to open up the room for weekends and holidays when I'd be home. 

Any pros/cons I should consider from people who have done this? Was it weird to have other people in your house while you are home (not home?)?

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I assume you mean short-term only? I did for a while. I loved it but there were some logistical problems. 

    Pros: It's like having a roommate but you get more money and share your house for fewer nights. E.g. a roommate would have paid me $600 per month/30 days, but I could get $600 if I rented a room on Airbnb for 15 days. 

    Pros: Visitors spend more time out in the evenings than a regular roommate. Few people want to stay inside a STR all day. This means you don't feel like you are sharing as much and your house will be empty most evenings.

    Pros: Your house stays really clean and you get paid for cleaning your own house! 

    Pros: You meant some cool people and sometimes get small gifts. 

    Pros: People sharing a space with you will be more considerate than a STR without you present.

    Cons: People are idiots and you have all your worldly possessions in the same space. My one house rule was to lock the door when leaving the house. Lots of people did not lock the door??? 

    Cons: You most likely will want to meet and greet the guests and that requires flexible working if you have a regular job. You can use features like smart locks/key pads for separate units but you might not want to do that if they are sharing a space with you.

    Cons: It's not for the prudish. Most couples on holiday like to celebrate it. 

    Cons: Airbnb can be a fickle platform and you have to have thick skin when dealing with Airbnb and with guests. Will you be able to handle an undeserved 1* review? 

    Cons: It can be stressful to have to turn over a room after a day at your regular job. 

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    7y
    Keep in mind that many areas, renting out any rooms short term is considered as specifically B&B and is illegal. In spite of what airbnb claims. 

    I am in a permissive area, but I can only rent my WHOLE place with me not in it. 

    Originally posted by @Jason L.:

    Does anybody rent a room in their own house that they currently live in? I don't mean a separate rental you own. I mean your current primary residence. 

    I just bought a new 3/2 primary. I'm a single guy, so I basically have a guest bed and guest bath that are going to be fully furnished yet never get used otherwise. I do work during the week and I'm not sure about having strangers in my house when I'm not home, but I was considering the idea of trying to open up the room for weekends and holidays when I'd be home. 

    Any pros/cons I should consider from people who have done this? Was it weird to have other people in your house while you are home (not home?)?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.