Rental Property Investor · RI · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
We just bought our first investment property, a 2-unit home on the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico. Interviewing property managers and caretakers and looking for some sort of checklist that would help us in knowing what to ask and look for in a good property manager. We're figuring things out as we go, but was hoping to see what others with vacation rentals do if they don't live close to the property.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y
I Googled vacation cleaning checklist and found some when I was starting out. I never ended up using them because I have always found great cleaning people who knew what they were doing without a checklist.
He is the master. He hears thunder and farts lightning. Follow his advice and you'll be drinking a Jack and cola while doing the wango tango all the way to the bank. Keep your wheels spinning and your women grinning.
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
7y
I Googled vacation cleaning checklist and found some when I was starting out. I never ended up using them because I have always found great cleaning people who knew what they were doing without a checklist.
Rental Property Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 52 votes
7y
@David Stebner the Hospitality Guide from The Distinguished Guest has this info, including questions to ask a potential property manager and additional info on helping you to decide if a property manager or self managing is best for you.
Real Estate Agent · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 219 posts · 275 votes
7y
@David Stebner I manage my own vacation rentals in Fort Walton Beach/Destin, FL and also manage a number of properties for others. I would strongly suggest you "test" any companies you are thinking of hiring from the point of view of a potential guests. If they have other properties they manage, read through guest reviews. If they have other properties listed for rent maybe call in or message as a customer and see what response you get and how soon. There are a number of larger property management companies that do really glitzy advertising of their services, but then you end up on hold for hours.
If at all possible, maybe consider a property manager that also has some experience with their own rentals. They can relate to your needs better. Also, may be do a bit of "behavioral interviewing", like many companies do. Ask them to describe a situation where there was a "crisis" and how they handled it. Or to describe what steps they've taken in the past to increase property revenue. If they give you general "provide top notch service", that's not really helpful. But if they tell you they added a second king bed instead of a queen and made space for that by removing the second night stand, which was not needed, that really is a point of specific experience. Just an example.
Good luck with your new property! Very exciting time for you!