Thoroughly pleased guest but still left 4 star review :(

Thoroughly pleased guest but still left 4 star review :(

Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 29 votes

We are off to a great start on our new rental.  9 reviews to date and ALL 5 star wtih glowing comments.  Just had our 10th guest this year and they wrote publicly and privately very nice and complimentary descriptions of their stay.  gave 5 stars on all sub categories (on AirBnb) except "location" which was 4 star.  Cleanliness, communication, value, etc. all 5 star.

But they gave the over all rating as 4 star.  

Likely not much I can do, and sure some people just have a thing about not giving 5 stars, but man that hurts.  We are still at 4.9 over all but one more 4 star and we could jeopardize Super Host status which we will qualify for on the April 1st review barring no more 4 stars.

Frustrated.

1Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Luke CarlPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Sean Wilt

I call it “Hotel Syndrome” they think they were rating it on a scale of 1-5. If you didn’t have mints on the pillows, slippers, and ducks in a pond in the lobby - you’re a 4.

Just leave a nice response and move on!

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Share RossBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    Oh man, That is frustrating! I hope your next guest gives you a 5 star. You can always reach out and ask them to update it ... but that can be tricky. Hope you get your Super Host status! 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt I have over 80 reviews on Homeaway. I have two that are 4 stars and they had no derogatory comments.

    Like you said some people can't give 5 stars. Maybe they are Teachers and find it hard to give a 100?

  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Underwood:

    @Sean Wilt I have over 80 reviews on Homeaway. I have two that are 4 stars and they had no derogatory comments.

    Like you said some people can't give 5 stars. Maybe they are Teachers and find it hard to give a 100?

     John we're at 40 on Homeaway...all 5's so far.    Worried about that first one that won't be, and as you echoed...maybe some folks just can't do "5"!

  • Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Share Ross

    I didn't think you could update it once it's published???

  • Share RossBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    Ahhh. Yes, I think you might be right. Ugh. Well, I hope your next review is back to 5 stars! 

  • Share RossBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    actually they can edit it if it's the first 48 hours since they wrote it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2018 · 49 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt, it is very frustrating, but keep in mind your low aggregate count.  You're clearly conscientious and probably run a meticulous property.  As such, it was probably bad luck of the draw, and you hit your four star before you had quite as many five stars to buffer.  It's a numbers game so just remember you now have many, many five star reviews in front of you since you got the four star out of the way so early...

  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    I've been hosting on Airbnb for a while (+5 years) and the location category is definitely the one I get hurt on the most. I think it's partly because people don't understand how to grade the location and Airbnb doesn't do anyone favors in this regard. In order to make "location" less ambiguous, I've seen hosts try to explain what it means in their listing descriptions. Not sure how well it works however.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt

    I call it “Hotel Syndrome” they think they were rating it on a scale of 1-5. If you didn’t have mints on the pillows, slippers, and ducks in a pond in the lobby - you’re a 4.

    Just leave a nice response and move on!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Share Ross Reviews can not be edited once they are published. They can be edited for 48 hours IF both parties have not left a review. Once it’s on the internet it cannot be changed. Assuming we’re talking AirBnB. Vrbo is a different story.

    That would not apply in this case because the the OP wouldn’t know he revived 4 stars. At that point it’s too late. 

  • Share RossBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boynton Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 135 votes
    7y

    Thx @Luke Carl for the clarification!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Luke Carl:

    @Sean Wilt

    I call it “Hotel Syndrome” they think they were rating it on a scale of 1-5. If you didn’t have mints on the pillows, slippers, and ducks in a pond in the lobby - you’re a 4.

    Just leave a nice response and move on!

    Lucas this is a great attitude, and I hope I can remember it the first time I see that "4"!   But it isn't a cause to lose sleep over if we've done everything right and corrected any issues the may have had (That they told us about!).  Plus the higher amount of ratings we get I'm thinking it may be a slight relief (?) to get that first 4 out of the way so I can stop worrying...

  • Specialist · Livonia, MI · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    After checkout, I send a message like this and people tend to respond with a 5 star review. They need to know what 5 stars mean. To a lot of people if means crystal chandeliers. I do get some 4 star for location, but I understand; the most common way into the neighborhood is literally "turn right at the liquor store".

    --

    I trust you enjoyed your stay and would appreciate you taking a couple minutes to leave us a 5-star review.

    Five stars to indicate that we met your expectations. We aim to please in every category. …

  • Investor · Savannah, GA · Member since 2018 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Luke Carl, @Robert Purcell

    Lucas, Yeah, I did leave a nice response and moved on as you said.  Life is too short I suppose to get too caught up in it.  I was thinking I might send a private note to "educate" the guest though.  she just joined AirBnb in February when she booked my space and had no reviews so this was likely her first experience and maybe just didn't understand.

    Robert, will definitely do that more religiously now.  I have in the past writen something similar, but will do it all the time now.  And, Will do it the morning of check out so they get my note before they get the AirBnb notification to write us a review.

    Thanks all.... I wasn't looking for a silver bullet on how to fix, just wanted to vent to like minded peeps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clarksville, TN · Member since 2017 · 73 posts · 99 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt we have over 400 airbnb reviews, average a 4.9 and am a super host. We we'll periodically get 4 stars and even 3 stars! They never say anything bad or what they complain about is already in the listing description or notes! I've had 2 guests before leave a 1 star because they were questioned about smoking. We recently started using Smartbnb to automate messages with our guests. We send a message after the first night saying something like, "We hope you've settled in and are having a 5 star stay. Let us know if you need anything". After check out is also sends them a message mentioning the 5 stars again. The idea is to prompt guests to give you a 5 star review. We've only been using it for a week and so far we like it.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Same boat as Asury, have 130+ reviews.  The occasional non-5 gets lost in the mix after a while.  Had one give a glowing commentary but put 1 star for everything.  I responded asking why the low rating and her daughter profusely apologized for her mom's "computer illiteracy", unfortunately, once it was posted, not much you could do.  I've been a Super Host since the first review period 2 years ago.  The lower rating would hurt more initially (when you only have 10 like the OP has), but after a while, a mistake like that doesn't matter.  We contacted Airbnb and they basically told me "too bad".

    Just keep up the service level and it'll wash out. I've never had a 3 star, just occasional 4 for something random.  One person was adamant that my queen bed was only a double. Reviews don't allow you to post a picture of the invoice from when I purchased the bed though... not much you can do, I'm not going to argue with the guest and make it look worse.  Just move on to the next guest experience and make sure they are happy.

    Some guests just want something to complain about in life. I figure it must be what gives them joy, so I'll let them do it and I'll focus on what I can control.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt ... the situation is similar to a college professor I encountered 30 years ago.  He stated that he does NOT believe in giving an " A " in his course.  I remember thinking he was joking ... and he wasn't.

    Now there is rate my Professor, blah blah,... and people have an idea prior to registering for the courses.

    That is exactly the way some people are with VR reviews.  There will be more (guaranteed) and even better like shake downs for a refund.  Having doing this approx 10 years the VR world is a hospitality business wrapped around a piece of real estate.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Campbell, CA · Member since 2017 · 419 posts · 499 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt I’d ask if it was intentional. I get a few that think they gave 5 and five 4 by mistake. If that’s the case, YOU can call Airbnb and explain the situation and ask them to contact the guest on your behalf and they will call the guest and the guest can authorize the removal of the rating completely. They won’t be able to review again, but it will disappear and you’ll go back to 5*

    This is all dependent on it being a mistake.

  • Seth RouchPro Member
    Specialist · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 85 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt

    We have been dealing with the same thing. People are just picky. I like some of the suggestions here though about telling the client what a 5 star rating means.

    We Air BnB a 100+ year old architecturally amazing apartment. Very well kept and a historical building in Kansas City. Last person gave us a 4 star because it was “old”. ?!?! I feel your frustration. Especially when things are very clear in description etc.

    We are also finding the market becoming supersaturated. -Best of luck!

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    The 4 star rating happens to other landlords too.  So don't feel singled out. It happens to other landlords.  If you've ever taken a class in statistics, you'll know that a 4 star rating every now and then will happen.  And it happens to other people.  The only way to offset it is to have more 5 star reviews.

  • Lender · Everett, WA · Member since 2019 · 55 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt keep doing what your doing. The smallest thing could have set this off. The good news - your averaging 4.9%! Keep striving for perfection, everything will work out, and keep investing.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 512 posts · 301 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt I saw a friend filling out a survey and although he loved his job he filled out everything in the middle. His explanation “gotta keep em on their toes”

    But all kidding aside sometimes that just how people are. It’s all relative

    Remember keep doing what your and if your doing a good job the law of averages will be in your favor and show that you are on top.

    Let it go for sure

    Don’t sweat it

    I highly doubt you’ll lose any potential booking and if you do they are clearly idiots. Yes reviews can be annoying in any industry but people on the other side also understand

  • Joseph ODonovanPro Member
    Property Manager · Ridley, PA · Member since 2017 · 427 posts · 449 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt Had the same thing happen to me. Guest had great comments such as your house was beautiful, loved the little extras, I would love to come back. And boom, 4 rating. Luckily, I'm still superhost status. Like other BP'ers have stated, there are some people who just can't give that A+ grade, or 100, or in our case a 5 rating. Going forward expect anywhere from 5 - 10 % of guests to do the same. Don't lose sleep over it as you have no control over these type of people. Just don't marry one of them!

  • Realtor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Hate when that happens and we always feel that way early on with new listing, especially when you know you’re giving it your all and going over and beyond 🤦🏽‍♀️😩

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Sean Wilt. I started adding in a leave a review message the day they leave and at the bottom saying something like: We strive for 5 star service and that anything below 5 stars is essentially a negative review because it effects our ratings pretty quick! I have it worded way better than that...but basically at the bottom explain that 4 stars actually hurts! Especially if your a new host trying to get super host status! Airbnb sucks more and more every tear. This was the worst slow season and all my savings is gone! Aggg...I’m a co-host so I don’t own any properties. I just virtually manage them and cleaners.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.