Best Practices on cancellation credit card chargebacks?

Best Practices on cancellation credit card chargebacks?

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Lately, we have been inundated with last minute cancellations, with the guest disputing the charge with their credit card company.  We are losing our appeals.  

We are able to demonstrate seemingly everything that the credit card company is asking for - the reservation details, the fact that the guest accepted our terms and conditions, and timestamps for all, including IP address.

However, the credit card companies are taking it one step further now.  Here is the new response:  

"The Terms and Conditions were not properly displayed for the cardholder during the order process or on the same screen as the checkout screen before the final checkout. The merchant also failed to provide proof that the cancellation policy was properly disclosed to the cardholder."

Frankly, it seems that the credit card companies have created a mountain too tall for us to climb. I don't know how we would ever prove, to their satisfaction, the above.  Many of our reservations are made through VRBO, and one would think that VRBO has screenshots of all of this.  They used to, and would forward them to us upon request.  NOT ANYMORE.  VRBO is completely uncooperative in this.

I am contemplating just turning each of these over to an attorney, sue for the chargeback plus legal fees, and let it go. I'm not sure what else to do. 

But if this is the new normal, it could jeopardize our very business. Any thoughts on this from the STR community?

4Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
1y

Not sure if this will help you at this point or not but VRBO clearly spells it out.  I went into two of my listings (one with a flexible cancellation policy and one with non-refundable) and it is pretty clear what the terms are BEFORE booking.  See attachments.  Perhaps you can use something like this from your listing to show that the guest was in fact notified during booking?  I recently started using OwnerRez and have the guest sign my ow rental agreement otherwise the booking is cancelled.  There terms are clearly spelled out in my rental agreement.  They have 2 days to sign it or the booking is automatically cancelled.  That said, I have never received a charge back...knocking on wood here.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    From what I read in other groups for hosts, Vrbo will only help you dispute a chargeback the first time.  If you win but the guest then appeals it, Vrbo washes their hands of it and you lose.  From what I hear, Vrbo is much worse than Airbnb in this respect. The only times I've heard of a host prevailing with the CC company has been when they require a guest to sign their own rental agreement, where everything is spelled out.  Vrbo's agreement is not enough proof for the the CC company.  It also isn't enough proof for a judge in small claims court, if you decided to file on the guest there - you'll need your own rental agreement. I have heard of hosts taking that route and winning too.  Even the threat of court has caused some guests to pay up.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y

    Require travel insurance that you can make a claim on?

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Require travel insurance that you can make a claim on?


     I could, but the $$ fallout in lost reservations would probably be greater than any gains. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Require travel insurance that you can make a claim on?


     I could, but the $$ fallout in lost reservations would probably be greater than any gains. 


     I don't think the insurance is very expensive. 

  • Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    Merchants rarely win chargeback disputes. I’ll fight them 100 percent, but the deck is way stacked against you. I chalk it up as the cost of doing business.

    What changed:)

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Require travel insurance that you can make a claim on?


     I could, but the $$ fallout in lost reservations would probably be greater than any gains. 


     I don't think the insurance is very expensive. 


     It's not. I'm an authorized reseller for Generali (for our guests that book off-platform) and it's something like $59 for the guest, and you can buy it on their behalf, but I'm not sure that it covers chargebacks. I went through the training module and didn't see that as a submittable claim, but it's a good question - I'll have to ask my rep about that. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    Lately, we have been inundated with last minute cancellations, with the guest disputing the charge with their credit card company.  We are losing our appeals.  

    We are able to demonstrate seemingly everything that the credit card company is asking for - the reservation details, the fact that the guest accepted our terms and conditions, and timestamps for all, including IP address.

    However, the credit card companies are taking it one step further now.  Here is the new response:  

    "The Terms and Conditions were not properly displayed for the cardholder during the order process or on the same screen as the checkout screen before the final checkout. The merchant also failed to provide proof that the cancellation policy was properly disclosed to the cardholder."

    Frankly, it seems that the credit card companies have created a mountain too tall for us to climb. I don't know how we would ever prove, to their satisfaction, the above.  Many of our reservations are made through VRBO, and one would think that VRBO has screenshots of all of this.  They used to, and would forward them to us upon request.  NOT ANYMORE.  VRBO is completely uncooperative in this.

    I am contemplating just turning each of these over to an attorney, sue for the chargeback plus legal fees, and let it go. I'm not sure what else to do. 

    But if this is the new normal, it could jeopardize our very business. Any thoughts on this from the STR community?


     It's just more ******** that hosts are having to put up with all across the board. I think there's going to be a serious thinning out of STRs because of the overall market and interest rates, and people just getting fed up with the platforms, unless one of the newer no/low fee platforms takes off. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    I don't manage short-term any more, but can't you include this in a written rental agreement that the guest signs at the time of booking? It's been a while, but I had a few guests contest charges and I won every time.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @JD Martin:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    Require travel insurance that you can make a claim on?


     I could, but the $$ fallout in lost reservations would probably be greater than any gains. 


     I don't think the insurance is very expensive. 


     It's not. I'm an authorized reseller for Generali (for our guests that book off-platform) and it's something like $59 for the guest, and you can buy it on their behalf, but I'm not sure that it covers chargebacks. I went through the training module and didn't see that as a submittable claim, but it's a good question - I'll have to ask my rep about that. 


     What about a claim for a last minute cancelation?

  • Rental Property Investor · The Villages, FL · Member since 2017 · 341 posts · 398 votes
    1y

    This is interesting, I have also had more cancellations over the last few months than usual. I have not had any chargebacks. Most of my cancellations were within the cancellation period and I charge a cancellation fee for my direct bookings. If I have a direct booking outside of the cancellation period I and can get the house  rebooked, I will refund the cost of nights rebooked as a courtesy. I also have every guest sign a rental agreement, whether on or off the OTA's, that states the specifics including the cancellation policy, so I know they have read it outside of the booking information. So as you mentioned the information the credit card company's asked you for, maybe this would work for me in that regard.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    1y

    Not sure if this will help you at this point or not but VRBO clearly spells it out.  I went into two of my listings (one with a flexible cancellation policy and one with non-refundable) and it is pretty clear what the terms are BEFORE booking.  See attachments.  Perhaps you can use something like this from your listing to show that the guest was in fact notified during booking?  I recently started using OwnerRez and have the guest sign my ow rental agreement otherwise the booking is cancelled.  There terms are clearly spelled out in my rental agreement.  They have 2 days to sign it or the booking is automatically cancelled.  That said, I have never received a charge back...knocking on wood here.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    We haven't had anything like that happen but it sure is disturbing.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I get about 1 a month on average.  I am around 50% win rate.  What it appears matters most is who the issuing bank is.  I am above 50% on standard Visa/MC, below 50% on Amex, and about 0% with anything that is like a local credit unions.  It is unfortunate, you can get an attorney/collection agent if it is truly fraudulent.

  • Investor · OR · Member since 2020 · 61 posts · 32 votes
    1y

    Are any of you who use a separate rental agreement willing to share a copy? I have rental agreements for my LTR but couldn't imagine using that for my STR. Thanks

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I know of a host that took a guest to court over a false chargeback on a large booking. He made sure to use the court in the state they were in, and not the guest since it made things harder for the guest. Other than that, I'm not sure what to recommend except maybe team up with Lynnbrook for payments outside Airbnb. They would help walk you through chargebacks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.