Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Saunders
Votes |
LLC Setup for STR Business with Stay-at-home-spouse

Joshua Saunders
Posted Aug 12 2024, 07:35

Hello all,

I'm needing some advice on LLC Setup (or not) for a STR business. Here is my situation:

- I'm a W2 employee that earns north of $500k a year
- My wife is a stay-at-home-spouse
- I'm looking to buy ~ $1,000,000 in STR Real Estate by the end of the year (as an investment and to offset my tax bill)

I'm fairly well versed in the rules surrounding using STR to offset active income. My wife will materially participate in the business and I'll provide the financial backing.

I've talked to a couple local CPAs and done a fair bit of internet searching on legal entity setup for my situation, but haven't been able to get a straight answer. I *think* I'd like to set up an LLC to house the STRs, but I'm struggling on the implications of single-member vs multi-member. In my mind, a multi-member LLC where my wife and I are 50/50 partners make sense, but I don't know if that will cause problems at tax time with counting losses from the LLC against my active income. If I were to create a single-member llc and give my wife 100% control, that seems like I would be at risk of losing everything in case of divorce (god forbid). Any advice is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Collin H.
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Gatlinburg, TN
Replied Aug 12 2024, 08:04

Keep looking for a CPA that can properly address your questions. 

User Stats

Votes
Katie Ripp
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Aug 12 2024, 11:40

You will still be able to benefit from the losses whether its set up as a MMLLC or SMLLC since you are married.

Main thing to keep in mind from the tax side of things is that MMLLC may have a Form 1065 filing requirement each year and increase your tax prep fees. SMLLC is disregarded and does not have a separate filing requirement (gets reported straight on the Form 1040).

I can't speak to the implications of a potential divorce, I would consult an attorney. 

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Sean O'Keefe
Pro Member
  • CPA | California
Votes |
Pro Member
  • CPA | California
Replied Aug 12 2024, 11:45

If your wife is a stay-at-home mom and is involve with managing the rentals you may want to explore Real Estate Professional Status as an alternative tax strategy or along side your STR tax strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Saunders
Votes |
Replied Aug 12 2024, 12:03
Quote from @Sean O'Keefe:

If your wife is a stay-at-home mom and is involve with managing the rentals you may want to explore Real Estate Professional Status as an alternative tax strategy or along side your STR tax strategy.

That's the longer term plan once the last kid goes to school. Right now she'd struggle to meet the 750 hour requirement for REPS.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Saunders
Votes |
Replied Aug 12 2024, 12:04
Quote from @Katie Ripp:

You will still be able to benefit from the losses whether its set up as a MMLLC or SMLLC since you are married.

Main thing to keep in mind from the tax side of things is that MMLLC may have a Form 1065 filing requirement each year and increase your tax prep fees. SMLLC is disregarded and does not have a separate filing requirement (gets reported straight on the Form 1040).

I can't speak to the implications of a potential divorce, I would consult an attorney. 

Thanks for the info!

User Stats

Votes
Ashish Acharya
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • CPA, CFP®, PFS
  • Florida
Replied Aug 14 2024, 04:53

You don't need an LLC for tax benefits. However, based on new IRS audits, we recommend LLCs even with no tax benefit. It helps you establish one economic unit to meet material participation hours.
If you are in higher income tax brackets, I suggest getting a multi-member LLC for audit protection.

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Bellamy
Tax & Financial Services
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
#5 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Accountant
  • Southern California
Replied Aug 14 2024, 10:48

I would like to confirm @Katie Ripp 's input but add to it further. The MMLLC will add an extra layer of audit protection being that they are at less of an audit risk than SMLLC's. 

User Stats

Votes
Ray Williams
Lender
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Denver, CO
Replied Aug 14 2024, 12:59

I'll stay away from tax advice. Although a recent learn I had was relating to the LLC and thoughts toward insurability. So often people will want to do an umbrella policy for risk. Getting an umbrella on an LLC is challenging/expensive. What I did on my last STR acq was to increase liability to $1M (PP was ballpark). A few additional savings hacks I layered w insurance, was to move deductible up and find break even sweet spot on annual premium. Not an insurance guy, rather a mortgage broker owner always leveling up.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied Aug 15 2024, 06:18

We used Anderson Business Advisors to help set up our entities correctly and make sure we weren't paying more in taxes due to how the entity was set up. For your situation I would highly recommend reaching out to them and considering their services! It's well worth the peace of mind and saving your time to have Anderson take care of all legal aspects of a STR company!

Lastly, if divorce is in the back of your mind...or your wife's.... as an option when things get rough, don't start a business together. Do something separate until that option is not there anymore. If our mindset is on a certain option, (personal, business, etc.) it's sure to eventually play out.