Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 187 votes
This is one of the reasons I would be very hesitant to allow an arbitrager access to my property. The home owner, not that arbitrager, is stuck with the fine. Even if the home owner wins a judgment against the arbitrager, it will be hard to recoup $180,000.
"The city arrived at the $180,000 fine based on a $500-a-night penalty for each of hundreds of nights it tracked as booked at Tao's property, according to documents submitted to the City Council."
Real Estate Agent · Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 630 posts · 303 votes
2y
Yes, especially here in the Clearwater and Tampa Area of Florida. The rules are very strict. You have to know if your property is allowable or not. It's crazy that the arbitrager probably knew that the homeowner was responsible and still did it.
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y
Not sure how Las Vegas operates but when I get a code violation of any sort I get certified mail delivered to my personal house and multiple other regular mail attempts. I find it hard to believe they did not contact the owner and he had no idea. I would be curious to see how this plays out in the end.
Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2022 · 184 posts · 75 votes
2y
If they knew what the tenant was doing, then it is a shared blame. It is unfortunate, though. When we look for arbitrage units for our clients to sublease, we are upfront and honest, as well as explain the risks to both parties of this model.
Not sure how Las Vegas operates but when I get a code violation of any sort I get certified mail delivered to my personal house and multiple other regular mail attempts. I find it hard to believe they did not contact the owner and he had no idea. I would be curious to see how this plays out in the end.
Exactly, more than likely both are at fault by not paying attention or caring. Or the landlord had jacked the rent up since it was an arbitrager and didn't want to lose that extra LTR income.
Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2020 · 459 posts · 305 votes
2y
There are a lot of owners who are playing the illegal Airbnb game. The people from the city will make a reservation on Airbnb to catch you and find you $1000 per day based on the amount of time it’s been on Airbnb.