Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Review my AirBNB listing (thanks in advance!)

Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Posted Mar 9 2024, 12:16

Please review my listing!

We rent a four-bedroom house in Harwich, MA, as an STR. The house is on Cape Cod, a beach community that is wildly popular in July/August. We are always fully booked for around $600 per night in July/August.

The problem is:  We need more bookings in the spring and fall when demand is lower. I'm open to changing the listing, updating our pricing, adding amenities, or anything else that would lead to more spring and fall bookings.

We allow pets, so that's been a big draw for this house. The house isn't exactly walkable to the beach. When I walk to the beach, it's about a mile away. However, there are restaurants, bars, family activities (mini-golf, go-carts, etc.), and a wonderful supermarket that is close by and walkable (2-3 blocks away).

The reviews are excellent, and we are currently superhosts. We expect to lose superhost status in April because we had to cancel a booking (my mistake).

Thank you in advance for your feedback on my listing...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/614622614795146757

https://www.vrbo.com/2796499

Also, the VRBO/AirBnB ranking stats are concerning. I think conversion is low because most people are looking for a weekend stay in July/August, but we have a 7-night minimum stay in July/August, so they bounce off our listing page (just a guess). We get 1 or 2 inquiries per day for weekend stays in July/August that we can't accommodate.

- Dale

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 9 2024, 12:18

The VRBO ranking stats for our STR are concerning:

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 9 2024, 12:23

Our AirBnb stats:

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 9 2024, 12:29

Also, we've never tried instant book. We're afraid we'll get parties.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 9 2024, 14:01

Hey @Dale Bertrand. So have you tried using Pricelabs to automatically adjust pricing?

Is there any particular reason for the 7 night minimum stay?

I also don't use instant book. I want to chat with folks to see if they are on the up and up.

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 9 2024, 16:41

@Michael Baum We are using pricelabs, but I noticed today that every day is priced the same. So I need to make sure it's working.

The 7 night stay is to ensure that we rent 100% of the nights during the high season. Also, it tends to ensure much better renters--families on vacation, not groups of eight partying for the weekend.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 9 2024, 17:12

Hmmm. I would get in communication with Pricelabs and see what they say.

We have a 3 night minimum and usually have no trouble filling up. We are also a seasonal rental from late April to Oct. Otherwise just Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year.

You should be able to adjust the nightly rates for the off season.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan M kiefer
  • Rental Property Investor
  • south carolina and michigan
Votes |
  • south carolina and michigan
Replied Mar 10 2024, 05:26
Quote from @Dale Bertrand:

Please review my listing!

We rent a four-bedroom house in Harwich, MA, as an STR. The house is on Cape Cod, a beach community that is wildly popular in July/August. We are always fully booked for around $600 per night in July/August.

The problem is:  We need more bookings in the spring and fall when demand is lower. I'm open to changing the listing, updating our pricing, adding amenities, or anything else that would lead to more spring and fall bookings.

We allow pets, so that's been a big draw for this house. The house isn't exactly walkable to the beach. When I walk to the beach, it's about a mile away. However, there are restaurants, bars, family activities (mini-golf, go-carts, etc.), and a wonderful supermarket that is close by and walkable (2-3 blocks away).

The reviews are excellent, and we are currently superhosts. We expect to lose superhost status in April because we had to cancel a booking (my mistake).

Thank you in advance for your feedback on my listing...

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/614622614795146757

https://www.vrbo.com/2796499

Also, the VRBO/AirBnB ranking stats are concerning. I think conversion is low because most people are looking for a weekend stay in July/August, but we have a 7-night minimum stay in July/August, so they bounce off our listing page (just a guess). We get 1 or 2 inquiries per day for weekend stays in July/August that we can't accommodate.

- Dale

Not a big fan of VRBO but is location specific. Our stats suck as well, we have 3 day minimum and we have no problem filling up in busy season, more and more people want the freedom to pick their vacation durations.

other than that it looks great to me except doesn't really show outside until you start clicking through the listing. It always feels to me like an apartment view when you start with interiors, just my opinion. 

your house is awesome though and looks like you take great care of it and the guests 

User Stats

Votes
Dale Bertrand
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Mar 10 2024, 07:01
Quote from @Michael Baum:

Hmmm. I would get in communication with Pricelabs and see what they say.

We have a 3 night minimum and usually have no trouble filling up. We are also a seasonal rental from late April to Oct. Otherwise just Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year.

You should be able to adjust the nightly rates for the off season.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think dropping the 7 night min would help us?  IOW, our acceptance rate would go up.

User Stats

Votes
Wilson Vanhook
  • Oklahoma City
Votes |
  • Oklahoma City
Replied Mar 10 2024, 11:01

Remove the couple of blurry photos from the listing. Add photo descriptions. Have chat gpt refactor your listing description - use bullet points for most of the information as it’ll be easier to read.

Priecelabs offers training videos, watch a bunch and dial in your pricing strategy. They also have technical reps that will do a 1-on-1 call to help with your pricing settings.

On Airbnb, add length of stay pricing discounts to guests for 3, 4, 5, 7, and 30 nights. Tier up the discount the longer guests book with you. On VRBO, apply weekly and monthly discounts.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Olympia, WA
Replied Mar 10 2024, 12:44

Hey @Dale Bertrand, I would try 3 day stay minimum. It will keep the local party folks away and get some of those folks looking for mid week 3 or 4 night stays. We get a lot of those folks.