Is STR permitted in unincorporate Jefferson County, Colorado?

Is STR permitted in unincorporate Jefferson County, Colorado?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 62 posts · 36 votes

My wife and I are looking at a property in unincorporated Jefferson County, Colorado that could work out for us as a house hack + STR. I've Googled and now that we are past New Year holiday, I will call as well, but wondering if anyone has property there that they are using as both primary and STR. One result showed that it's not permitted and another, showed that it is with permission and approval from a group. Anyone know more? TIA!

0Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 18 votes
2y

Hi there Andre! This is a great question and the answer really differs depending on which specific unincorporated municipality you're looking in. I know a handful of str owners in the jeffco + unincorporated jeffco areas that have gone through the tedious process of obtaining a license. I have a spreadsheet for regulations in most municipalities within CO let me know which one you're looking in and I'll see what info i've gathered about it lol

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    Hi there Andre! This is a great question and the answer really differs depending on which specific unincorporated municipality you're looking in. I know a handful of str owners in the jeffco + unincorporated jeffco areas that have gone through the tedious process of obtaining a license. I have a spreadsheet for regulations in most municipalities within CO let me know which one you're looking in and I'll see what info i've gathered about it lol

  • Realtor · New Castle, CO · Member since 2022 · 93 posts · 58 votes
    2y

    From what I remember when I last researched and spoke with the JeffCo planning dept. ~6 months ago, they are in the process of updating their regulations, but for now, here are the notes I made:

    - No more than 5 bedrooms 

    - rented for less than 30 days

    - ADUs not included (must be the primary structure)

    - must be 1+ acre in size

    - no owner occupancy reqs

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 62 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brittany Guimond:

    From what I remember when I last researched and spoke with the JeffCo planning dept. ~6 months ago, they are in the process of updating their regulations, but for now, here are the notes I made:

    - No more than 5 bedrooms 

    - rented for less than 30 days

    - ADUs not included (must be the primary structure)

    - must be 1+ acre in size

    - no owner occupancy reqs


     Thanks! This is helpful. Being unincorporated, it seems tricky to determine whether the same rules as JeffCo apply. Now that the planning dept. is back to work, I'll invest some time in checking and update here for other's benefit. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 62 posts · 36 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Monica Mejia:

    Hi there Andre! This is a great question and the answer really differs depending on which specific unincorporated municipality you're looking in. I know a handful of str owners in the jeffco + unincorporated jeffco areas that have gone through the tedious process of obtaining a license. I have a spreadsheet for regulations in most municipalities within CO let me know which one you're looking in and I'll see what info i've gathered about it lol

    Thanks for the offer! Just unincorporate Jefferson County at this point. We are trying to pursue this deal if it makes sense from an STR standpoint. 
  • Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 18 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Andre Galaviz:
    Quote from @Monica Mejia:

    Hi there Andre! This is a great question and the answer really differs depending on which specific unincorporated municipality you're looking in. I know a handful of str owners in the jeffco + unincorporated jeffco areas that have gone through the tedious process of obtaining a license. I have a spreadsheet for regulations in most municipalities within CO let me know which one you're looking in and I'll see what info i've gathered about it lol

    Thanks for the offer! Just unincorporate Jefferson County at this point. We are trying to pursue this deal if it makes sense from an STR standpoint. 

    Gotcha. I'm invested now lol! Feel free to message me the address privately if you still haven't found more info on it!


  • Realtor · New Castle, CO · Member since 2022 · 93 posts · 58 votes
    2y

     @Andre Galaviz I can confirm that whatever rules JeffCo has in place, they would hold true for unincorporated JeffCo. If the property was located in a city jurisdiction like Arvada or Golden, the city rules take priority. But for properties located in unincorporated JeffCo, then JeffCo rules apply. Hope that makes sense!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2020 · 48 posts · 43 votes
    2y

    I manage a STR in Unincorporated Jefferson County (Coal Creek Canyon) and lived there for a while. I'm happy to answer any questions about the licensure process for Jefferson County. They are indeed in the process of revising it. Its indeed quite a tedious and onerous process (in addition to expensive) in unincorporated Jeffco compared to other areas, but its generally friendly to non-primary residence STRs

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.