The subtle but KEY difference between a short term rental and a vacation rental home

The subtle but KEY difference between a short term rental and a vacation rental home

AJ WongBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes

Work isn't a four letter word often associated with short term rental properties or vacation rental homes but probably should be. 

I reckon in the past four years, I've covered as complete spectrum of vacation rental property ownership, sales and management as just about anyone on this site or beyond..allow me to digress..

My STR story isn't exceptional or abnormal but for those considering venturing into the 'BNB' world, my experience is highly relevant to this unique, lucrative and challenging asset class.

The PROS: What you've read on Bigger Pockets and watched on IG reels is that owning an AirBNB can be highly profitable. This is true. Here on the Oregon Coast (by no means conventional) the gross revenue produced from a permittable nightly vacation rental on the Oregon Coast should be roughly 10% of the value (at the time of this writing.) 

So for example a $1M 4/3 home with an ocean view and beach access should average someone in the $100k+/- gross annual revenue range. 

I know, it sounds too good to be true, but this is a hard average from roughly 250+ Pro Forma analysis' and revenue reviews of coastal vacation rentals on the Oregon Coast from Brookings to Astoria from 2018-Present. 

The opportunity was so apparent that I dropped everything in late 2018, purchased my first Oregon Coast vacation rental home and spent the next two years completely remodeling a 800SF house from the ground up. I was under experienced, under capitalized, and under prepared for the demands of construction, furnishing and preparing a home for rental. 

My favorite areas are always the most isolated. The Oregon Coast is rugged, remote and rural. The nearest Home Depot, Costco or airport was about 3 hours away. Logistics is something I, or most people from metropolitan areas might not fully appreciate..especially in the age of Amazon. Getting people, things, appliances and furniture to and through the door is much easier on Pinterest than in the real world. And it doesn't get much realer than 25 degrees, rainy, without insulation, running hot water while waiting on windows. Did I mention I had no idea what I was doing?

Fast forward five years..I and my team (uh...fiancé) have purchased, upgraded, furnished, rented and sold three vacation rental homes on the Oregon Coast, flipped one parcel of semi developed land and recently completed a free and clear ocean view nightly vacation rental in north Baja Mexico. 

It has been a worthwhile adventure. We have made plenty of mistakes. Mostly with unexpected demands on time, costs, and energy required to turn four walls into a full time vacation rental HOME. 

There is a REAL difference between a rental and a nightly vacation rental home, primarily in the form of the tender love, care and attention needed to establish and maintain what is essentially a mom and pop hotel business. 

We've all stayed at AirBnB's and hotels that just weren't that 'nice.' Especially nowadays...it seems like everywhere we turn, we are constantly disappointed in the value of product or service provided..or is it just that I have impossibly high standards? Maybe...but maybe we all just want what we pay for. The average AirBnB now costs somewhere around $300?! That is $9,000 per month if operated at 100% capacity. To earn that type of income, should and does take a lot of effort. 

Accommodating a tenant, full time, with utilities, water, power, electric, internet, linens, towels, pots, pans, electronics and a clean, safe, functional space is hard enough to do for oneself, let alone for others, often hours or many states away. 

Not coincidentally some of the most desirable and profitable vacation rental areas are either some of the more valuable or difficult areas to reach. 

Supposedly the most profitable AirBNB in the country is a small A Frame cabin in the woods. It's a nice setting, it's not as nice to think about purchasing a vacant property, that isn't your primary residence and preparing it as a full time residence, but not the one that you'll be living in full time. 

Just moving is a lot. Upgrading, furnishing, decorating, marketing, cleaning, managing and maintaining a 300 night per year business is a also demanding. All businesses are more fun and profitable on paper than in the real world. Likewise fully operating a vacation rental property in the mountains, or an island remotely is more enjoyable on paper and forums than in actuality. 

This is not a negative. It is however a wake up call. The Las Vegas kind, the call you really don't want at 10AM after a looong night but the kind that makes sure you make your flight. 

Nightly vacation rentals are hard work. They are honest work, that can reward the effort, but it's not the vacation your occupants are hoping for.

The behind the scenes of a well executed experience, event or hosting are involved. Some of the key areas to consider beyond vacation rental permit eligibility, price, timing and financials are the intangibles such as:

- Interior Design

- Furniture and furnishings

- Vacation Rental Permit Application, process and proceedure

- Maintenance 

- Management

- Emergency support


Closing on a property is chapter one but it's the rest of the story that determines your success or failure as a vacation rental home operator/owner. 

There are many varieties of vacation rentals, but all in all, there are four walls. 

To take a property from a house to a home takes something special.. it takes tender, love, and care. Put two identical properties next to each other and available for rent on AirBNB and one will outperform the other. 

Why?

Details. The owners of the more productive vacation rental tried and cared more. That's it. Don't believe me? When you stay at a home or hotel what is it that makes you say; 'This is REALLY nice!' 

It's the 'little things.' It used to be cookies and the host's recipe, now it's just the cleanliness and how comfortable the host made it feel like home. The top producing vacation rentals are not stale or basic. They don't feel staged, or filled with IKEA furniture. 

No offense, but hotels don't use Ikea furniture, because it's not practical or comfortable. 

It doesn't look good, last and generally isn't a great investment. 

You wouldn't furnish your entire home from IKEA, why offer it to others? I mean you can, but customers can tell when they're getting more for their money or less. And so can you. Investing isn't so much about price, but it is about value. 

If investors are willing or able to make the significant commitment to a mortgage, they need to be willing to commit to the true cost and responsibility of providing a full time home for others. 

Investors can be frugal, but not cheap. Good furniture and good hosts are not cheap and cheap furniture and cheap hosts are not good. 

That's just the way the world works. You will always get what you give. Give visitors a great experience and the property will produce great results. 

Do the bare minimum and I can pretty well project your results..

On the other hand if you go above and beyond, anticipate positive metrics over the long haul. On that note, these are long term investments with long term timelines. As with opening a new hotel it can and will take time to establish traction and a consistent customer base. 

Yes, you will have instantaneous success (at least on the Oregon Coast) but you will also have unanticipated interruptions to operations and life. 

The most successful real estate investors, own their properties for a long time and take good care of their assets. 

Privately operated vacation rental properties are a newer asset with a long history of performing well when well cared for. 

Some notes that have helped our shared spaces stay in occupied: 

- Thrifts and estate sales are an excellent source to save on super high quality furniture that will impress and not need to be replaced. You would be amazed at how inexpensively you can furnish a space. 

- Logistics are something to consider when purchasing a short term vacation rental. Upgrades, movers and getting mattresses to and from hard to reach places can be well..hard. 

- Linens are the primary cleaning challenge when there is a short turnover window. For larger rentals it's essential to outsource the linens to a local laundry mat or wash and fold. The cleaners time on site will be cut by half and it will save you at least a washer or dryer per year if you have over 3+ bedrooms. 

- Block off some personal time at the property. All investors have different goals and intentions for their portfolio. One nice element about a vacation rental is that it can actually be utilized by the owner, as opposed to many asset classes that would not, or cannot..Staying at a vacation rental from time to time is a great way to gain insight into guest(s) experience. A host that is consistently assessing and improving their accommodations is likely to consistently have demand for them. 

Cheers. 

Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
6Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

@AJ Wong, this is my favorite post of yours so far.  Very nice take on STRs.  I have started down that rabbit hole myself and am learning so much more than I ever expected, but unfortunately have a vast learning curve still ahead of me.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    And this right here is what makes an average STR into an exceptional STR! There must be a heart, passion, and love for what you're doing! It's not just about the money and higher profitability. I'll admit I did mostly skim read, but this hit so close to home and is what we want to achieve with our co-hosting company!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Great post @AJ Wong. I agree with a bunch of your points.

    Especially the purchasing of used USA made quality furniture. That is what we did and after 6 season it is still all doing great! Little digs in the wood here and there but nothing major.

    Linen cleaning is another issue. I went over to the lake house to deal with our rural PO Box. Has to be renewed in person. :) Our cleaner had to leave about 2 sets of sheets and one comforter in the garage hampers for a later wash which I did while I was there along with winterizing the outside. No big deal but if I wasn't there, it could be a PITA.

    I highly recommend having a bunch of sets of sheets and comforters ready to go is the key. We can do back to backs 5x before having to wash anything from sheets to bath rugs. Just pick them up when they are on sale!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Its not an Airbnb. It's a STR listed on Airbnb.

    I believe there is a very big difference between a STR that is provided for someone to stay similar to a hotel and the quality and care that goes into a great property that is truly a vacation rental.

  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Chiofalo:

    AJ, I have a client pre-approved in an early search process for a short term rental qualified up to 750k.  Initially he was targeting property in CA, but Oregon may be a better play.  At that price point would there be options?  Look forward to hearing from you.  


     Thanks for connecting JC. It's been a long time! Full time short term vacation rentals on the Oregon Coast can be highly lucrative. On average a prime rental property can generate 10% of valuation in gross income per year. SO at $750k a well appointed property should generate $75k-80k gross. There are a few pockets in Lincoln City that are excellent value and turn-key eligible. California is a bit of a different animal..right now target areas are Ojai/Ventura and beyond. Send me an intro to the client and we'll get them pointed to the right coast :) 

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @AJ Wong, this is my favorite post of yours so far.  Very nice take on STRs.  I have started down that rabbit hole myself and am learning so much more than I ever expected, but unfortunately have a vast learning curve still ahead of me.  Thanks for taking the time to post this.

  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    3y

    Jerry, welcome to Wonderland! Thank you for the kind words. It's a weird but marvelous world, let me know when I may lend a hand. lol 

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 75 posts · 73 votes
    3y

    Aj-

    This post spoke right to my soul! I have had long term rentals and my first STR is in Lincoln City. I LOVE it.

    1. We have a management company to make sure everything is clean and comfortable for the next guest, but it's also nice to have eyes on our property more regularly than a long term rental. 

    2. I 100% agree with you on carving out personal time there. My husband and I go stay (from Boise) about 3 times a year. We always bring tools because there always seems to be something, no matter how small- to fix. 

    3. I was also of the mindset that we had to put nice, comfortable furnishings in. I LOVE when we get comments about how nice the bed is, or how cozy the couch/chairs or how nicely it's decorated. I hope it makes people want our place to be the one they always come back to.

    My biggest question for you is how are you navigating the STR restrictions along the coast counties? We ended up with a condo because we couldn't find a home to STR?
     

  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    I am really interested in buying my first STR or the Oregon Coast, but I wanted to know whether it is an uphill battle to get the STR permits. I know certain cities only provide a certain number per year, and existing business are given them first. Yachats, for instance has quite a limited number. Also, I was wondering whether you can apply for a permit, before buying a property, or whether the permit is issued based on the property? Sorry for all the questions, but I am right at the beginning of my STR journey?

    I would be grateful for any and all advice. Many thanks, Suzanne

  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Suzanne Kirkhope:

    I am really interested in buying my first STR or the Oregon Coast, but I wanted to know whether it is an uphill battle to get the STR permits. I know certain cities only provide a certain number per year, and existing business are given them first. Yachats, for instance has quite a limited number. Also, I was wondering whether you can apply for a permit, before buying a property, or whether the permit is issued based on the property? Sorry for all the questions, but I am right at the beginning of my STR journey?

    I would be grateful for any and all advice. Many thanks, Suzanne


     Hi Suzanne, you're still early ;) Most areas permits do not transfer and each area has slightly different rules as to where, when and how the permit is issued. I personally try to only consider properties that are eligible for permitting. The process can be from fairly instantaneous to up to 6-12 months depending on where. Message me directly for some options or insight. Cheers. 

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thanks so much! I sent you an email :)

  • Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Nice post @AJ Wong! Your passion is definitely illuminated in your writing. I love your comparison against hotels, and that they do certain things for a reason, and that those things are what produce long-lasting success in their business model.

    As a host, I've tried implementing "hotel quality" at all of our vacation homes but have encountered friction from those STR investors who don't understand the difference between being cheap and being frugal, much less see the value in great design, or the 'little things' that make a big difference. Great job articulating and thanks for sharing your holistic view!

  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Skinner:

    Nice post @AJ Wong! Your passion is definitely illuminated in your writing. I love your comparison against hotels, and that they do certain things for a reason, and that those things are what produce long-lasting success in their business model.

    As a host, I've tried implementing "hotel quality" at all of our vacation homes but have encountered friction from those STR investors who don't understand the difference between being cheap and being frugal, much less see the value in great design, or the 'little things' that make a big difference. Great job articulating and thanks for sharing your holistic view!


     Thank you for the kind words. I would add that not all vacation rentals need to be a 'premium' experience. However if investors are committing to a $4-5-700k+ home and anticipating a $3-4-500+ nightly rate the true costs of furnishing a high quality property with high quality furnishings will be 3-4-5% of the purchase price, with logistics, labor and likely upgrades of paint, fixtures, flooring..

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Exactly @AJ Wong. Each rental is different.

    I don't expect 1000tc sheets in a $100 a night rental but I would expect top o' the line for $1000 a night.

    Having said that, I still expect decent furniture, a well stocked kitchen and nice linens no matter what I am paying.

    The days of tossing garbage in a STR and still doing well is over.

  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 822 posts · 696 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Exactly @AJ Wong. Each rental is different.

    I don't expect 1000tc sheets in a $100 a night rental but I would expect top o' the line for $1000 a night.

    Having said that, I still expect decent furniture, a well stocked kitchen and nice linens no matter what I am paying.

    The days of tossing garbage in a STR and still doing well is over.


     Nothing worse than cheap sheets lol Never and I do mean never, buy the $15 sheets from Marshalls or Ross. It's like sleeping in tissue paper. We still buy at Ross, just a real brand and real cotton. 

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.