I am in the process of renovating a 5 bedroom home just across the border from DC. For now, my long-term plan is to rent to a RAL company, but it takes a long time to get a property approved for such use. In the meantime, I am exploring the possibility of doing STR or renting to travel nurses, or other strategies.
I would love to get some advice from people doing STRs in Prince George's County MD or the other options I mentioned. It's a large house with a large, fenced yard and lends itself to various uses.
Well non-owner occupied properties in PG county are limited to 90 days per year. So a short term rental strategy isnt really viable in PG County.
Well non-owner occupied properties in PG county are limited to 90 days per year. So a short term rental strategy isnt really viable in PG County.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
So @Paul Georgia, you are out of luck with a less than 30 day stay.
You said traveling nurses. That usually means 30+ day stays.
@Russell Brazil, is there a minimum days of stay beyond 30? Some places have a minimum of 90 days, some 180.
If the length of stay is 30 days minimum, you could look at doing a MTR. That is just a long term rental with a shorter lease period.
Sounds like in your location you may have trouble keeping it fully occupied unless you can tap into just the right niche for both your property type/location and your regulations. Most traveling medical professionals operate on 13 week contracts so you could probably land some leases that fit your 90-day requirement. However, a 5 bedroom home isn't really the right configuration for this guest type. You might have success with rent-by-room, it's just not what most medical professionals prefer. What about working with Realtors on relocations to your area? Or corporate rentals, which tend to be longer leases. Or construction companies?
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post I had some similar questions for the DMV metro area and the discussion was very helpful to me.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
In order to obtain a rental license to rent your home as Short-Term Rental, the property must; (1) be your principal residence; (2) be deeded in your name (the name of an individual, not a company); and (3) be free of any code violations.
The Baltimore City Council passed Ordinance 19-217 (Council Bill 18-0189) establishing several requirements for Short-Term rentals, including the licensing of such units. These requirements can be found in the Baltimore City Code Article 15, Licensing and Regulation, Subtitle 48, Short-Term Residential Rentals.
All Short-Term rentals must be licensed. about Short-Term rentals and how to obtain a new Short-Term rental license."
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
In order to obtain a rental license to rent your home as Short-Term Rental, the property must; (1) be your principal residence; (2) be deeded in your name (the name of an individual, not a company); and (3) be free of any code violations.
The Baltimore City Council passed Ordinance 19-217 (Council Bill 18-0189) establishing several requirements for Short-Term rentals, including the licensing of such units. These requirements can be found in the Baltimore City Code Article 15, Licensing and Regulation, Subtitle 48, Short-Term Residential Rentals.
All Short-Term rentals must be licensed. about Short-Term rentals and how to obtain a new Short-Term rental license."
Thanks. I meant to write 90 days in my original comment not 30. Ive found this language in all of the DMV counties I have researched for STR ordinances except for Frederick County MD so far which makes it challenging to start up a Medium Term Rentals business in the DMV area but could possibly still work with 90 day or longer bookings. Are you familiar if there are any counties near the DMV that are STR or MTR friendly in terms of ordinances. I have been doing my own research county by county for all MD, DC, and VA counties I have only found 1 or 2 so far and they are pretty far out.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
In order to obtain a rental license to rent your home as Short-Term Rental, the property must; (1) be your principal residence; (2) be deeded in your name (the name of an individual, not a company); and (3) be free of any code violations.
The Baltimore City Council passed Ordinance 19-217 (Council Bill 18-0189) establishing several requirements for Short-Term rentals, including the licensing of such units. These requirements can be found in the Baltimore City Code Article 15, Licensing and Regulation, Subtitle 48, Short-Term Residential Rentals.
All Short-Term rentals must be licensed. about Short-Term rentals and how to obtain a new Short-Term rental license."
Thanks. I meant to write 90 days in my original comment not 30. Ive found this language in all of the DMV counties I have researched for STR ordinances except for Frederick County MD so far which makes it challenging to start up a Medium Term Rentals business in the DMV area but could possibly still work with 90 day or longer bookings. Are you familiar if there are any counties near the DMV that are STR or MTR friendly in terms of ordinances. I have been doing my own research county by county for all MD, DC, and VA counties I have only found 1 or 2 so far and they are pretty far out.
City of Alexandria, not to be confused with Alexandria Fairfax County, allows short term rentals.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
In order to obtain a rental license to rent your home as Short-Term Rental, the property must; (1) be your principal residence; (2) be deeded in your name (the name of an individual, not a company); and (3) be free of any code violations.
The Baltimore City Council passed Ordinance 19-217 (Council Bill 18-0189) establishing several requirements for Short-Term rentals, including the licensing of such units. These requirements can be found in the Baltimore City Code Article 15, Licensing and Regulation, Subtitle 48, Short-Term Residential Rentals.
All Short-Term rentals must be licensed. about Short-Term rentals and how to obtain a new Short-Term rental license."
Thanks. I meant to write 90 days in my original comment not 30. Ive found this language in all of the DMV counties I have researched for STR ordinances except for Frederick County MD so far which makes it challenging to start up a Medium Term Rentals business in the DMV area but could possibly still work with 90 day or longer bookings. Are you familiar if there are any counties near the DMV that are STR or MTR friendly in terms of ordinances. I have been doing my own research county by county for all MD, DC, and VA counties I have only found 1 or 2 so far and they are pretty far out.
City of Alexandria, not to be confused with Alexandria Fairfax County, allows short term rentals.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
Baltimore City has the same laws. I rent mine on a MTR basis and love it. Typical nursing contract is 13 weeks so 90 day requirement is fine
Hi Sara and Bonnie. Quick question. I am in process of performing due diligence to set up a similar MTR business model in MD near hospitals and traveling nurses, doctors, caregivers will be my ideal customer. So that I understand correctly, as long as the bookings are greater than 30 days the STR limitations and permitting etc. do not apply because a booking of longer than 30 days is no longer an STR do you agree?
In order to obtain a rental license to rent your home as Short-Term Rental, the property must; (1) be your principal residence; (2) be deeded in your name (the name of an individual, not a company); and (3) be free of any code violations.
The Baltimore City Council passed Ordinance 19-217 (Council Bill 18-0189) establishing several requirements for Short-Term rentals, including the licensing of such units. These requirements can be found in the Baltimore City Code Article 15, Licensing and Regulation, Subtitle 48, Short-Term Residential Rentals.
All Short-Term rentals must be licensed. about Short-Term rentals and how to obtain a new Short-Term rental license."
Thanks. I meant to write 90 days in my original comment not 30. Ive found this language in all of the DMV counties I have researched for STR ordinances except for Frederick County MD so far which makes it challenging to start up a Medium Term Rentals business in the DMV area but could possibly still work with 90 day or longer bookings. Are you familiar if there are any counties near the DMV that are STR or MTR friendly in terms of ordinances. I have been doing my own research county by county for all MD, DC, and VA counties I have only found 1 or 2 so far and they are pretty far out.
I would guess Ocean City and near Deep Creak and areas like that might be more STR friendly, but I don't own anything there so I haven't done the research.. The problem with OC is rising insurance rates and a lot of competition in the summer months when you make most of your money. The problem (I've heard) about Deep Creak is the prices went up so much it's hard to cash flow now.
For medium term rentals, 90 days minimum isn't crazy for a travel nurse or young/corporate traveler like a consultant or someone staying in the city to be near family at one of the hospitals and need a longer term stay vs. a hotel. It's a strategy I've been considering for my next rental.
Short-term rentals (STRs) offer the perks of higher income and flexibility, but come with the challenges of regulatory requirements, increased management responsibilities, and different tax considerations. On the other hand, renting to travel nurses provides stable income, longer leases, and less wear and tear, yet presents the hurdles of a limited tenant pool, deciding on furnishings, and potential vacancy periods. Navigating these aspects thoughtfully will help you decide which rental strategy aligns best with your preferences and overall objectives.
We are in Fairfax County and City of Alexandria. The strategy that seems to work for us is MTR but occasionally we get gaps of 2-3 weeks. Having the opportunity to do STR to fill those gaps drew us to City of.
In a small test we ran, the top-line revenue is higher with STR but the work and expenses of turnaround make the bottom line equivalent to MTR. However, a friend in DC makes much more with STR than MTR.
I'd recommend running Airbnb market research and comps to set conservative expectations in terms of revenue
Short-term rentals (STRs) offer the perks of higher income and flexibility, but come with the challenges of regulatory requirements, increased management responsibilities, and different tax considerations. On the other hand, renting to travel nurses provides stable income, longer leases, and less wear and tear, yet presents the hurdles of a limited tenant pool, deciding on furnishings, and potential vacancy periods. Navigating these aspects thoughtfully will help you decide which rental strategy aligns best with your preferences and overall objectives.
We are in Fairfax County and City of Alexandria. The strategy that seems to work for us is MTR but occasionally we get gaps of 2-3 weeks. Having the opportunity to do STR to fill those gaps drew us to City of.
In a small test we ran, the top-line revenue is higher with STR but the work and expenses of turnaround make the bottom line equivalent to MTR. However, a friend in DC makes much more with STR than MTR.
I'd recommend running Airbnb market research and comps to set conservative expectations in terms of revenue
We are in Fairfax County and City of Alexandria. The strategy that seems to work for us is MTR but occasionally we get gaps of 2-3 weeks. Having the opportunity to do STR to fill those gaps drew us to City of.
In a small test we ran, the top-line revenue is higher with STR but the work and expenses of turnaround make the bottom line equivalent to MTR. However, a friend in DC makes much more with STR than MTR.
I'd recommend running Airbnb market research and comps to set conservative expectations in terms of revenue
I'm not aware of any restrictions on arbitrage in FF county for MTR. AFAIK, all restrictions relate to STR. MTR is equivalent to LTR in the eyes of the county, for now.
For City of, no restrictions on STR regarding abitrage come to mind. But, we don't look for arbitrage opportunities, we're strictly interested in buy and hold. I'd definitely recommend some additional digging to verify.
That's not good at all. PG County is horrible!
Are there exceptions for things like traveling nurses?
What is so horrible about the county?