Future/status of STR property management contract when unit is sold?

Future/status of STR property management contract when unit is sold?

Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hi folks -
Purchasing an STR condo in FL that is currently managed by Vacasa.  The seller tells me they have a 90-day notice w/ Vacasa, which they apparently have not given Vacasa yet. I got a hold of the Vacasa local sales rep and was told
"I can't share the current owners contract, but states a 90 day notice will be given - terms forward with you would be 90 days after signing and you could terminate after 90 days."

There are only bookings out to just a few days past closing, which I'm happy to keep. But given the past performance and reviews (and general Vacasa sentiment here and other forums) of the unit I'm not leaning towards continuing using Vacasa.

Am I obliged to honor anything w/ Vacasa? There is nothing in our closing docs/addendums that indicates I am taking over any contract nor have/will I sign anything w/ Vacasa.  I have read that Vacasa will charge fees/etc for any future booking if you cancel, but what if there are not any bookings? 

I understand that Vacasa "owns" the airbnb/etc listing itself and that will be removed and I have to start all over.

thanks!
0Reply
69 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

Awesome, best of luck!

There is nothing they can do to you or your property only to the seller.  I honestly would not even honor 1 booking from them as if there are any issues during that time period it may be very difficult to get any assistance from them.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    This is always an interesting discussion.

    Leases for tenants traditionally remain in effect through change of ownership.

    PM contracts typically end with change of ownership.

    Why the difference?

    Seems like Vacasa is trying to go against the grain. 

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Depending on how it is written (and how I would look at it as a FL based PM) is the contract is terminated once the property sells.  Vacasa cannot force you to stay on based on the agreement the previous owner signed.  There likely is a penalty in the contract that could be applied to the owner for not giving the proper notice to Vacasa.  Vacasa then has the right to exercise the penalty of waive it.

    Curious where in FL is the condo?

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

    Depending on how it is written (and how I would look at it as a FL based PM) is the contract is terminated once the property sells.  Vacasa cannot force you to stay on based on the agreement the previous owner signed.  There likely is a penalty in the contract that could be applied to the owner for not giving the proper notice to Vacasa.  Vacasa then has the right to exercise the penalty of waive it.

    Curious where in FL is the condo?


    My understanding of Vacasa's contracts in general is 90 days and if you terminate it you owe any booking fees and any costs they take to move the guests (ie, to a higher rate property).

    The seller is aware of this, and I've told them to tell Vacasa to stop taking bookings on it as I don't intend to continue using Vacasa.  Seems they did not do that <shrug>.

    The prop is up the coast from you - Fort Walton Beach area.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Awesome, best of luck!

    There is nothing they can do to you or your property only to the seller.  I honestly would not even honor 1 booking from them as if there are any issues during that time period it may be very difficult to get any assistance from them.

  • Arvada, CO · Member since 2023 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    3y

    I can't answer this question, but wanted to mention Avery Carl covers this and similar STR property transfer issues in her book on Short Term rentals. Might be worth getting ahold of a copy. Sounds like it can get pretty messy.

  • Investor · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2019 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Hey Michael,

    We ran into the same problem in the past. I am not an attorney and I am not providing legal advice but happy to share our experience. 

    We had an attorney review our docs and they confirmed we had no commitment beyond close. The agreement went with the seller, not the property. Yes, you'll need to start over with a new listing but it's completely worth it imo. All upside from there!

    We are located in northeast Florida and offer full-service Airbnb property management. I'd be happy to offer a free property analysis and tell you more about our company. Where's the property located?

    Ben  

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    3y

    I've handled this a few times with buyers and Vacasa. A couple of times the revenue from future bookings made it worthwhile since my buyers were concerned about generating cash flow from day one, so they kept what was in place and submitted a cancelation on day one. That gave them the 90 days to create their own marketing plan and have another PM in place to book out after the 90 days was up.

    Another scenario was that we negotiated the price with seller to cover the costs of canceling the bookings in place, which worked out for both sides.

    If there is not enough revenue past just a few bookings, make sure you have an addendum signed that you have no intentions or obligations to the seller's current contract with them. That puts any cancellation charges back on the seller. 

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Be sure to have your lawyer read over it 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Green:
    Hi folks -
    Purchasing an STR condo in FL that is currently managed by Vacasa.  The seller tells me they have a 90-day notice w/ Vacasa, which they apparently have not given Vacasa yet. I got a hold of the Vacasa local sales rep and was told
    "I can't share the current owners contract, but states a 90 day notice will be given - terms forward with you would be 90 days after signing and you could terminate after 90 days."

    There are only bookings out to just a few days past closing, which I'm happy to keep. But given the past performance and reviews (and general Vacasa sentiment here and other forums) of the unit I'm not leaning towards continuing using Vacasa.

    Am I obliged to honor anything w/ Vacasa? There is nothing in our closing docs/addendums that indicates I am taking over any contract nor have/will I sign anything w/ Vacasa.  I have read that Vacasa will charge fees/etc for any future booking if you cancel, but what if there are not any bookings? 

    I understand that Vacasa "owns" the airbnb/etc listing itself and that will be removed and I have to start all over.

    thanks!
    Definitely ask an attorney, rather than taking advice here to the bank. My assumption (BUT NOT LEGAL ADVICE) is that the seller is held to that contract and not you, the buyer. They signed the agreement and you did not, and the agreement does not lawfully convey with the home. It's likely the sellers will be penalized somehow. But again- ask an attorney.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.