Trip Advisor Tips, Tricks or general strategy that works to generate more bookings?

Trip Advisor Tips, Tricks or general strategy that works to generate more bookings?

Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes

Has anyone had any significant success using TripAdvisor as an OTA for their short term rentals? 


We recently started experimenting with it across all of our rentals and got one booking over the last 6 months but nothing beyond that.  There are some great features that I actually like over the major OTA´s (including a way better fee structure) but we are not generating any views, let alone bookings.  There isn´t much information out there and obviously I am aware that the renter base is much smaller compared to the big boys but, I am curious if anyone has some insight.  Thank you in advance! 

Would love to provide complementary few nights stay at one of our places in Cabo San Lucas, Oaxaca or Puerto Vallarta if anyone can really bring the heat on the Trip Advisor secrets! Thanks in advance,

Alex 

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Alex Scattareggia, TripAdvisor doesn't really put much marketing into their STR side.

    I don't think I have ever seen a Trip Advisor ad anywhere. AirBNB and VRBO all the time. Now Booking.com as well.

    As a side note, you should do a post about investing in those markets. @Mike Lambert is one guy who really knows the market in Mexico but it would be nice to see the properties and talk about how you went about setting them up and managing them.

    There are pretty regular questions about investing in Mexico.

  • Alex ScattareggiaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes
    3y

    Thanks for the response Michael. 

    We cross list on all of the platforms you mentioned above as well as direct book etc.  The appealing part about TripAdvisor is the fee structure which is significantly better than the big 3.  I would love to start pushing business there.  In one of my main markets, they do a significant amount of business, but it is a black box as far as the algorithm and what generates views. 

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about TripAdvisor or know of anyone that uses it for a STR bookings. Would definitely be something to check into!

  • Alex ScattareggiaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Cabo San Lucas, Mexico · Member since 2023 · 150 posts · 139 votes
    3y

    Just wanted to give this a bump. 

    Is anyone out there getting 10%+ of their reservations through TA? Or does anyone have any insight into the algorithm/ tricks and tips to generate more bookings through the platform. 

    As I have repeated a lot here, it is the most owner friendly platform and I am constantly trying to get more business there, but we are averaging about 2 bookings/ month across a big portfolio, so not really making a dent. 

    Any insight would be appreciated.  

    If you have some inside secret and don´t want to share on a public forum I would be willing to pay for an hour of your time, just DM me!  Cheers

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.