STR starting out in Cranberry/Wexford/Pittsburgh area

STR starting out in Cranberry/Wexford/Pittsburgh area

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hoping to connect with some people with experience in the area with 

- property managers 

- cleaners 

- successful properties there 

I am currently considering purchasing a property to list a a short term rental near Pittsburgh in the cranberry/Wexford area. 

Currently I believe it could be a great market for STR. What have your experiences been? How much slower are the winter months compare to summer? Any regulations in the area? Roadblocks you've run into?

2Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Sarah KensingerPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

We have dabbled in the Pittsburg market, and we're located not too far from there, so I know a bit about the area. Right now, there are no regulations but, in a few months, once an ordnance goes into effect you'll need to pay for a yearly permit. 

There is a draw of people throughout most the year. Here in eastern Ohio, Pittsburgh is the place to go for all the bachelor and bachelorette parties. Not to mention the football games, other sports, conferences, etc. If you can find a 5/4 in a good area of South Side flats...within the city of Pittsburg....and have an eye-catching design with plenty of amenities, you could bring in a decent profit. I don't know about north of Pittsburgh since that is outside city proper....although a quick search on Airdna showed that Wexford is better than Cranberry!

If I can help you further, please feel free to reach out!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Title Representative · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 82 posts · 51 votes
    3y

    Cranberry/Wexford are very nice areas to own property in. I don't personally know how a short term rental holds up, but I can try and connect you with some investors that I know own property in northern Allegheny County and Butler County who have better insight.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    We have dabbled in the Pittsburg market, and we're located not too far from there, so I know a bit about the area. Right now, there are no regulations but, in a few months, once an ordnance goes into effect you'll need to pay for a yearly permit. 

    There is a draw of people throughout most the year. Here in eastern Ohio, Pittsburgh is the place to go for all the bachelor and bachelorette parties. Not to mention the football games, other sports, conferences, etc. If you can find a 5/4 in a good area of South Side flats...within the city of Pittsburg....and have an eye-catching design with plenty of amenities, you could bring in a decent profit. I don't know about north of Pittsburgh since that is outside city proper....although a quick search on Airdna showed that Wexford is better than Cranberry!

    If I can help you further, please feel free to reach out!

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Check some market specific fb groups out 

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scotty Pugmire:

    Hoping to connect with some people with experience in the area with 

    - property managers 

    - cleaners 

    - successful properties there 

    I am currently considering purchasing a property to list a a short term rental near Pittsburgh in the cranberry/Wexford area. 

    Currently I believe it could be a great market for STR. What have your experiences been? How much slower are the winter months compare to summer? Any regulations in the area? Roadblocks you've run into?


    I would recommend checking out HostWise - they are a STR management company specializing in the Pittsburgh market and they know their stuff well

    https://www.hostwise.co/where-...

  • Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    What @Sarah Kensinger said above is correct about the City of Pittsburgh, but it does not apply to anything beyond the city limits. Each borough will differ on how they treat STR or ignore them. I've heard many stories of hosts being regulated out of business after they spent time investing and setting up their STRs in townships just outside of the city.

    Be sure to look up the specific regulations of the township you're looking in. If I remember correctly, I believe someone on the BP forums fought a losing battle with Cranberry Township for their STR some years ago.


    I personally live in Harmony, just north of Cranberry, but own and operate a portfolio of STRs in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't really consider Wexford or Cranberry to add to my portfolio unless the specific property was something really special. The purchase prices are simply too high while being that far removed from the city.

  • Realtor · Cranberry Township · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Mercer:

    What @Sarah Kensinger said above is correct about the City of Pittsburgh, but it does not apply to anything beyond the city limits. Each borough will differ on how they treat STR or ignore them. I've heard many stories of hosts being regulated out of business after they spent time investing and setting up their STRs in townships just outside of the city.

    Be sure to look up the specific regulations of the township you're looking in. If I remember correctly, I believe someone on the BP forums fought a losing battle with Cranberry Township for their STR some years ago.


    I personally live in Harmony, just north of Cranberry, but own and operate a portfolio of STRs in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't really consider Wexford or Cranberry to add to my portfolio unless the specific property was something really special. The purchase prices are simply too high while being that far removed from the city.

    I agree, I wouldn't consider these areas as a STR or MTR areas. Better off going to the City of Pittsburgh for these rental types. Much more demand and attractions that make the deals more lucrative. Cranberry/Wexford are residential dense areas vs. City being rental dense.

  • Alex HilemanPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2023 · 224 posts · 147 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andrew Mercer:

    What @Sarah Kensinger said above is correct about the City of Pittsburgh, but it does not apply to anything beyond the city limits. Each borough will differ on how they treat STR or ignore them. I've heard many stories of hosts being regulated out of business after they spent time investing and setting up their STRs in townships just outside of the city.

    Be sure to look up the specific regulations of the township you're looking in. If I remember correctly, I believe someone on the BP forums fought a losing battle with Cranberry Township for their STR some years ago.


    I personally live in Harmony, just north of Cranberry, but own and operate a portfolio of STRs in Pittsburgh. I wouldn't really consider Wexford or Cranberry to add to my portfolio unless the specific property was something really special. The purchase prices are simply too high while being that far removed from the city.


    I agree, check the township website first. Some townships don't allow STR at all, some limit you to only being able to host guests 14 days per month in order to discourage full time STRs. I recommend Hubbard Cleaning, 412-482-4213.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    STRs can be a touchy subject when it comes to local laws and regulations, yet it can definitely be a worth-while endeavor if tackled correctly. I can attest to that. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.