New to the STR Game. .... What to do?

New to the STR Game. .... What to do?

Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes

Hi,

My wife and I started flipping homes in 2015. We did pretty well. Six months ago we sold our last flip for $300,000. It was on a very busy road 8 miles from Holden Beach and we did not like the ranch layout of the home at all. It had too many walls, bathrooms too small, no open floor plan, etc.

After digging online for the past six months we found a home that is 400 sq. ft. bigger, open floor plan, very nice floors, walls, ceilings, new roof and HVAC, 3 car garage, etc. ..... It is so much better and it is only 2.5 miles from Holden Beach, NC. ..... So basically we took the money from one sale sitting in the bank and purchased this place for the exact same price, so we own it outright, or will in about 30 days at the closing. ..... I am a licensed plumber, but have knowledge in carpentry, electrical, drywall, painting, and usually do 90 percent of the rehab work on our flips myself.

Since this is a heavy tourist area, we are thinking about doing a STR. I am thinking that I would mow the grass, maintain the home, clean the home, and handle the marketing, ( VRBO / Airbnb ), at the beginning and see if I can handle it.

After going to VRBO online last night, I noticed that the nightly rental fees are all over the place. I saw a single wide mobile home 8 miles from the beach for $175 per night, then I saw a super nice beach cottage, 1 mile from the beach for $160.00. I saw doublewides 5 miles from the beach for $250.00 per night. So, I kept researching and found the same thing over and over. It's like some prices or homeowners were stuck in 2015 or something. ..... The home that we are buying is really nice. It is .6 acres, plenty of parking for boats and cars, no HOA, no restrictions, big side yard for volley ball net / badminton, horse shoes, corn hole, or whatever. The entire back yard has a chain link fence for small kids / pets.

This home went on the market. Four hours later we went to see it. While we were there other cars started showing up. The realtors said "With this price and location, it will go fast". We made an offer and got it under contract that evening. We pretty much met their price before a bidding war started. We were not going to get involved in a bidding war. I am wondering if we acted too fast and should have done this or that, but doublewides are going for $200,000 - $250,000 in this area with land half the size. There is just nothing worth buying except junk stick built homes or manufactured under $300,000 around here. We will own this home outright. We need to furnish it, set up the playground area, do some landscaping, etc. It will be a really nice weekly STR when we are done. Pricing it is the main concern right now. If it is too low, it might bring in the wrong type of people. ( Drunks, Druggies, or people who won't take care of it ) If we price it too high it may not rent. .... How do we know how to price it properly?

Our overhead or sweat labor will be Taxes, Insurance, Lawn maintenance, Cleaning every week, and General upkeep. I can repair pretty much of anything that goes wrong except HVAC, since I have never been to tech school in that career field.

Thanks!

0Reply
56 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mississippi Gulf Coast · Member since 2022 · 206 posts · 168 votes
3y

Price is important but so is competition.  There are many more vacation rentals on the market now than five years ago and ABB estimates at least a 4% growth next year.  Many people do not know how to market or price their properties.  They jump in and when their property is not 80% full they start tinkering with a price.  This is why you see so many prices out there.

The more they drop the price, the more they are exposing themselves to poor-quality guests.  I always tell my clients that you can charge $50 per night and rent the property all year or you can charge $100 per night and rent it half of the year.  At the end of the year, the income is the same.  One has less wear and tear than the other.  

With an STR there are only so many ways to market. List on VRBO, ABB, and your own excellent site. Write great blog articles, post on the property on social media, and focus on obtaining 5-star ratings. This is about all you can do. My company does some other things too but that's our secret. Get that price up to the sweet spot. And, hope that some of those STRs sell to full-time residents.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi,

    My wife and I started flipping homes in 2015. We did pretty well. Six months ago we sold our last flip for $300,000. It was on a very busy road 8 miles from Holden Beach and we did not like the ranch layout of the home at all. It had too many walls, bathrooms too small, no open floor plan, etc.

    After digging online for the past six months we found a home that is 400 sq. ft. bigger, open floor plan, very nice floors, walls, ceilings, new roof and HVAC, 3 car garage, etc. ..... It is so much better and it is only 2.5 miles from Holden Beach, NC. ..... So basically we took the money from one sale sitting in the bank and purchased this place for the exact same price, so we own it outright, or will in about 30 days at the closing. ..... I am a licensed plumber, but have knowledge in carpentry, electrical, drywall, painting, and usually do 90 percent of the rehab work on our flips myself.

    Since this is a heavy tourist area, we are thinking about doing a STR. I am thinking that I would mow the grass, maintain the home, clean the home, and handle the marketing, ( VRBO / Airbnb ), at the beginning and see if I can handle it.

    After going to VRBO online last night, I noticed that the nightly rental fees are all over the place. I saw a single wide mobile home 8 miles from the beach for $175 per night, then I saw a super nice beach cottage, 1 mile from the beach for $160.00. So, I kept researching and found the same thing over and over. It's like some prices were stuck in 2014 or something. ..... The home that we are buying is really nice. It is .6 acres, plenty of parking for boats and cars, no HOA, no restrictions, big side yard for volley ball net / badminton, horse shoes, corn hole, or whatever. The entire back yard has a chain link fence for small kids / pets.

    This home went on the market. Four hours later we went to see it. While we were there other cars started showing up. The realtors said "With this price and location, it will go fast". We made an offer and got it under contract that evening. We pretty much met their price before a bidding war started. We were not going to get involved in a bidding war. I am wondering if we acted too fast and should have done this or that, but doublewides are going for $200,000 - $250,000 in this area with land half the size. There is just nothing worth buying except junk stick built homes or manufactured under $300,000 around here. We will own this home outright. We need to furnish it, set up the playground area, do some landscaping, etc. It will be a really nice weekly STR when we are done. Pricing it is the main concern right now. If it is too low, it might bring in the wrong type of people. ( Drunks, Druggies, or people who won't take care of it ) If we price it too high it may not rent. .... How do we know how to price it properly?

    Our overhead or sweat labor will be Taxes, Insurance, Lawn maintenance, Cleaning every week, and General upkeep. I can repair pretty much of anything that goes wrong except HVAC, since I have never been to tech school in that career field.

    Thanks!

     It sounds like a worthwhile risk.  You can figure out how to price it by listing on VRBO and utilizing their comparison tools.  It will take a while to find the sweet spot.  Price it too cheap at first and then start increasing until you find an equilibrium.

    The old “pricing it too cheap brings in drunks” adage is complete nonsense.  No one yet has been able to demonstrate that to me.  I’ve owned and managed vacation rentals since 2005.

    This is a long term play, so mis-pricing it some early on isn’t going to impact the deal.

  • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi,

    My wife and I started flipping homes in 2015. We did pretty well. Six months ago we sold our last flip for $300,000. It was on a very busy road 8 miles from Holden Beach and we did not like the ranch layout of the home at all. It had too many walls, bathrooms too small, no open floor plan, etc.

    After digging online for the past six months we found a home that is 400 sq. ft. bigger, open floor plan, very nice floors, walls, ceilings, new roof and HVAC, 3 car garage, etc. ..... It is so much better and it is only 2.5 miles from Holden Beach, NC. ..... So basically we took the money from one sale sitting in the bank and purchased this place for the exact same price, so we own it outright, or will in about 30 days at the closing. ..... I am a licensed plumber, but have knowledge in carpentry, electrical, drywall, painting, and usually do 90 percent of the rehab work on our flips myself.

    Since this is a heavy tourist area, we are thinking about doing a STR. I am thinking that I would mow the grass, maintain the home, clean the home, and handle the marketing, ( VRBO / Airbnb ), at the beginning and see if I can handle it.

    After going to VRBO online last night, I noticed that the nightly rental fees are all over the place. I saw a single wide mobile home 8 miles from the beach for $175 per night, then I saw a super nice beach cottage, 1 mile from the beach for $160.00. So, I kept researching and found the same thing over and over. It's like some prices were stuck in 2014 or something. ..... The home that we are buying is really nice. It is .6 acres, plenty of parking for boats and cars, no HOA, no restrictions, big side yard for volley ball net / badminton, horse shoes, corn hole, or whatever. The entire back yard has a chain link fence for small kids / pets.

    This home went on the market. Four hours later we went to see it. While we were there other cars started showing up. The realtors said "With this price and location, it will go fast". We made an offer and got it under contract that evening. We pretty much met their price before a bidding war started. We were not going to get involved in a bidding war. I am wondering if we acted too fast and should have done this or that, but doublewides are going for $200,000 - $250,000 in this area with land half the size. There is just nothing worth buying except junk stick built homes or manufactured under $300,000 around here. We will own this home outright. We need to furnish it, set up the playground area, do some landscaping, etc. It will be a really nice weekly STR when we are done. Pricing it is the main concern right now. If it is too low, it might bring in the wrong type of people. ( Drunks, Druggies, or people who won't take care of it ) If we price it too high it may not rent. .... How do we know how to price it properly?

    Our overhead or sweat labor will be Taxes, Insurance, Lawn maintenance, Cleaning every week, and General upkeep. I can repair pretty much of anything that goes wrong except HVAC, since I have never been to tech school in that career field.

    Thanks!

     It sounds like a worthwhile risk.  You can figure out how to price it by listing on VRBO and utilizing their comparison tools.  It will take a while to find the sweet spot.  Price it too cheap at first and then start increasing until you find an equilibrium.

    The old “pricing it too cheap brings in drunks” adage is complete nonsense.  No one yet has been able to demonstrate that to me.  I’ve owned and managed vacation rentals since 2005.

    This is a long term play, so mis-pricing it some early on isn’t going to impact the deal.

    Thank You for your response!

    As I do plumbing around here in all of these rentals from Sunset Beach to Holden Beach, the cheaper the weekly rental, the more people destroy things that I have to repair or the renters leave them much more dirty / messy. The more high end homes get taken care of much more. I have been working on the same homes for 25 years now. ...... I need to set it up so it will charge their credit card if they destroy things, right? ...... That's what most of the property management companies do here that I work for on the beaches.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi,

    My wife and I started flipping homes in 2015. We did pretty well. Six months ago we sold our last flip for $300,000. It was on a very busy road 8 miles from Holden Beach and we did not like the ranch layout of the home at all. It had too many walls, bathrooms too small, no open floor plan, etc.

    After digging online for the past six months we found a home that is 400 sq. ft. bigger, open floor plan, very nice floors, walls, ceilings, new roof and HVAC, 3 car garage, etc. ..... It is so much better and it is only 2.5 miles from Holden Beach, NC. ..... So basically we took the money from one sale sitting in the bank and purchased this place for the exact same price, so we own it outright, or will in about 30 days at the closing. ..... I am a licensed plumber, but have knowledge in carpentry, electrical, drywall, painting, and usually do 90 percent of the rehab work on our flips myself.

    Since this is a heavy tourist area, we are thinking about doing a STR. I am thinking that I would mow the grass, maintain the home, clean the home, and handle the marketing, ( VRBO / Airbnb ), at the beginning and see if I can handle it.

    After going to VRBO online last night, I noticed that the nightly rental fees are all over the place. I saw a single wide mobile home 8 miles from the beach for $175 per night, then I saw a super nice beach cottage, 1 mile from the beach for $160.00. So, I kept researching and found the same thing over and over. It's like some prices were stuck in 2014 or something. ..... The home that we are buying is really nice. It is .6 acres, plenty of parking for boats and cars, no HOA, no restrictions, big side yard for volley ball net / badminton, horse shoes, corn hole, or whatever. The entire back yard has a chain link fence for small kids / pets.

    This home went on the market. Four hours later we went to see it. While we were there other cars started showing up. The realtors said "With this price and location, it will go fast". We made an offer and got it under contract that evening. We pretty much met their price before a bidding war started. We were not going to get involved in a bidding war. I am wondering if we acted too fast and should have done this or that, but doublewides are going for $200,000 - $250,000 in this area with land half the size. There is just nothing worth buying except junk stick built homes or manufactured under $300,000 around here. We will own this home outright. We need to furnish it, set up the playground area, do some landscaping, etc. It will be a really nice weekly STR when we are done. Pricing it is the main concern right now. If it is too low, it might bring in the wrong type of people. ( Drunks, Druggies, or people who won't take care of it ) If we price it too high it may not rent. .... How do we know how to price it properly?

    Our overhead or sweat labor will be Taxes, Insurance, Lawn maintenance, Cleaning every week, and General upkeep. I can repair pretty much of anything that goes wrong except HVAC, since I have never been to tech school in that career field.

    Thanks!

     It sounds like a worthwhile risk.  You can figure out how to price it by listing on VRBO and utilizing their comparison tools.  It will take a while to find the sweet spot.  Price it too cheap at first and then start increasing until you find an equilibrium.

    The old “pricing it too cheap brings in drunks” adage is complete nonsense.  No one yet has been able to demonstrate that to me.  I’ve owned and managed vacation rentals since 2005.

    This is a long term play, so mis-pricing it some early on isn’t going to impact the deal.

    Thank You for your response!

    As I do plumbing around here in all of these rentals from Sunset Beach to Holden Beach, the cheaper the weekly rental, the more people destroy things that I have to repair or the renters leave them much more dirty / messy. The more high end homes get taken care of much more. I have been working on the same homes for 25 years now. ...... I need to set it up so it will charge their credit card if they destroy things, right? ...... That's what most of the property management companies do here that I work for on the beaches.


    We manage tiny budget cabins to McMansion cabins, and have never found any correlation of damage to the rental amount.  However, large, multi-family properties have more damage, just from simple math that you have a bunch of folks confined to a relatively small space for several days.  

    As for damages, you can charge a deposit.  I do not believe that the listing platforms will allow you to arbitrarily charge the guest's card for damages.  But I would forgo the damage deposit.  This is a large added cost to the rental amount and folks are suspicious that they will never get the money back.  You will lose in the end by charging a damage deposit.

    A few things damaged per year are just the cost of doing business.  Build it into your repairs and maintenance budget, which should be 10 percent of your annual rents.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You have to price competitevily if you want to get bookings.  But competitively does not mean the other homes in the area are $160/night therefore I need to be around $160/nt.  It means compared to other "like" properties.  Bigger homes = more $, more bedrooms = more $, more amenities = more $.  So you have to compare apples to apples to get your price right.  It is ok to be the most expensive house on the block IF you have more to offer than the other homes.

    I don't think it is necessarily the lower price that brings in worse guests - I think it is a lower price point for a given property.  There are tons of lower cost rentals that get booked and are not always getting trashed.  But I have noticed for my properties, when the price drops below a certain point, my odds definitely go up of dealing with problem guests.  But that price point is different for each property it seems.

    But like @Collin Hays said have your price lower to start, get some traction and reviews and then you can slowly start raising your price till you find where it needs to be.

    Best of luck to you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mississippi Gulf Coast · Member since 2022 · 206 posts · 168 votes
    3y

    Price is important but so is competition.  There are many more vacation rentals on the market now than five years ago and ABB estimates at least a 4% growth next year.  Many people do not know how to market or price their properties.  They jump in and when their property is not 80% full they start tinkering with a price.  This is why you see so many prices out there.

    The more they drop the price, the more they are exposing themselves to poor-quality guests.  I always tell my clients that you can charge $50 per night and rent the property all year or you can charge $100 per night and rent it half of the year.  At the end of the year, the income is the same.  One has less wear and tear than the other.  

    With an STR there are only so many ways to market. List on VRBO, ABB, and your own excellent site. Write great blog articles, post on the property on social media, and focus on obtaining 5-star ratings. This is about all you can do. My company does some other things too but that's our secret. Get that price up to the sweet spot. And, hope that some of those STRs sell to full-time residents.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Sounds like a good property. At the very least it sounds like a safe appreciation bet, so even if you break even on expenses over the course of the next 5 years you will probably do quite well, especially given the growth that the Carolinas are seeing. 

    As you look at the price of competing listings, their asking price is mostly irrelevant without taking occupancy into consideration. Check their calendars and see how booked out they are for the next few weeks and months. If their calendars are wide open, especially during peak season, then they are charging too much relative to the quality of the property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    3y

    Do some underwriting and figure out where you need to price it to make money. Then start there. You’ll know if it’s priced too high or too low based on how fast you book or don’t book. Definitely look on Airbnb and VRBO and see what comparable properties are charging that are close to yours with the same amenities. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Account Closed, like others said, hit AirBNB and VRBO and see what others are renting for. Seeing as there is a wide variety of home types, try to stick with homes more like yours and go from there.

    Also, Awning.com has a free estimator. It is a decent little tool that shows you all the stuff in the general area. Usually it is quite a wide array of properties, but it can help give you a general idea of what you can expect.

    Sounds like a cool place! I would definitely farm out the yard work and maintenance stuff. You are more valuable than that!

  • Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    3y


     Thanks Everyone for your great suggestions! :)

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 55 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Determine the right price, research similar rentals, consider peak/off-peak seasons, evaluate unique features, factor in expenses, test pricing initially, and seek professional advice if needed. Find the balance between affordability and profitability. Good luck!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Hi,

    My wife and I started flipping homes in 2015. We did pretty well. Six months ago we sold our last flip for $300,000. It was on a very busy road 8 miles from Holden Beach and we did not like the ranch layout of the home at all. It had too many walls, bathrooms too small, no open floor plan, etc.

    After digging online for the past six months we found a home that is 400 sq. ft. bigger, open floor plan, very nice floors, walls, ceilings, new roof and HVAC, 3 car garage, etc. ..... It is so much better and it is only 2.5 miles from Holden Beach, NC. ..... So basically we took the money from one sale sitting in the bank and purchased this place for the exact same price, so we own it outright, or will in about 30 days at the closing. ..... I am a licensed plumber, but have knowledge in carpentry, electrical, drywall, painting, and usually do 90 percent of the rehab work on our flips myself.

    Since this is a heavy tourist area, we are thinking about doing a STR. I am thinking that I would mow the grass, maintain the home, clean the home, and handle the marketing, ( VRBO / Airbnb ), at the beginning and see if I can handle it.

    After going to VRBO online last night, I noticed that the nightly rental fees are all over the place. I saw a single wide mobile home 8 miles from the beach for $175 per night, then I saw a super nice beach cottage, 1 mile from the beach for $160.00. So, I kept researching and found the same thing over and over. It's like some prices were stuck in 2014 or something. ..... The home that we are buying is really nice. It is .6 acres, plenty of parking for boats and cars, no HOA, no restrictions, big side yard for volley ball net / badminton, horse shoes, corn hole, or whatever. The entire back yard has a chain link fence for small kids / pets.

    This home went on the market. Four hours later we went to see it. While we were there other cars started showing up. The realtors said "With this price and location, it will go fast". We made an offer and got it under contract that evening. We pretty much met their price before a bidding war started. We were not going to get involved in a bidding war. I am wondering if we acted too fast and should have done this or that, but doublewides are going for $200,000 - $250,000 in this area with land half the size. There is just nothing worth buying except junk stick built homes or manufactured under $300,000 around here. We will own this home outright. We need to furnish it, set up the playground area, do some landscaping, etc. It will be a really nice weekly STR when we are done. Pricing it is the main concern right now. If it is too low, it might bring in the wrong type of people. ( Drunks, Druggies, or people who won't take care of it ) If we price it too high it may not rent. .... How do we know how to price it properly?

    Our overhead or sweat labor will be Taxes, Insurance, Lawn maintenance, Cleaning every week, and General upkeep. I can repair pretty much of anything that goes wrong except HVAC, since I have never been to tech school in that career field.

    Thanks!

     It sounds like a worthwhile risk.  You can figure out how to price it by listing on VRBO and utilizing their comparison tools.  It will take a while to find the sweet spot.  Price it too cheap at first and then start increasing until you find an equilibrium.

    The old “pricing it too cheap brings in drunks” adage is complete nonsense.  No one yet has been able to demonstrate that to me.  I’ve owned and managed vacation rentals since 2005.

    This is a long term play, so mis-pricing it some early on isn’t going to impact the deal.

    I agree that the Vrbo pricing tools are very good for determining where you should set your pricing. Set it a little under market to start with so that you can get those 5 star reviews rolling in.
  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You need to plug your property into Pricelabs! It's worth the money to know your priced competitive and not leaving money on the table!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.