Last minute Airbnb rental STOLE and DAMAGED everything

Last minute Airbnb rental STOLE and DAMAGED everything

Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes

The Friday night before Memorial Day, I got a ping. My Airbnb just got a whole weeks booking! Great…guest paid $8,824 for an 8 day stay. I was grateful! Because it was a late night (8:20 PM) booking, I replied to confirm that check in was actually for that night. She replied “Yes. I’m just looking for a place for me and my family to rest our heads.”  I asked for 2 hours so that I could make sure it’s ready…and for the inconvenience I gave them an extra night free.

I didn’t know why my intuition was antsy but it was the whole time. I discreetly stayed around to watch them check in. A small SUV with children arrived first…an hour later a red pickup truck pulled up. At this time they all went in. 

My camera signal was low so I didn’t want to keep opening the app for it to die…but I was able to screenshot it and zoom in from my phone screen. It was a holiday week. They had over 40 people in and out of my home. Majority of them looked like junkies. One night, I saw something that appeared to be my master bedspread on the front lawn but I was like naw it couldn’t be. 

When they left, the camera showed a loaded truck bed with luggage stacked high….as the whole week they loaded the truck bed every single night. It didn’t dawn on me that they were loading the truck with my items.

They stole 2 55” TVs out of my gaming room, EVERYTHING out of my kitchen cabinets including the dishes, glasses, small appliances: Ninja blenders, toasters, air fryers and more. They put cigarettes out on my sofa, nightstands, and carpets. Vomit everywhere! I found drug paraphernalia everywhere. The home reeked of all sorts of odors. 

I’m glad I kept all communication on the site. It was a devastating experience!

Currently, I’m waiting for Airbnb to refund me. No one has said anything yet, but I bet that credit card was stolen too. Has anyone else been scammed like this before? What is the purpose of going through these platforms if they aren’t really verifying the guests as they say they are?

11Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y

Wait a minute....you say you saw them with 40 people in your house, plus your stuff out on the front lawn....? And you did nothing? 

And accepting a same day, late night reservation is a no-no anyway.....

Sorry for the issues, and yes people are jerks, but it seems like a lot of this is on you.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Wait they spent $9000 to rip off 2 TVs and your dishes? 

    If I was a crook I’d like to think I’d be better at it than that. Didn’t they lose money? 

    I’m sorry this happened! 

    I’m very obvious that if they bring extra people or make noise after 9:30 they’re not welcome in my home. Doesn’t mean jerks don’t squeak their way in occasionally. 

    I’m sorry! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Wait they spent $9000 to rip off 2 TVs and your dishes? 

    If I was a crook I’d like to think I’d be better at it than that. Didn’t they lose money? 

    I’m sorry this happened! 

    I’m very obvious that if they bring extra people or make noise after 9:30 they’re not welcome in my home. Doesn’t mean jerks don’t squeak their way in occasionally. 

    I’m sorry! 


    that was my first thought but the OP thinks the CC was stolen.. and I suspect that was the case. Will air bnb cover all this damage and loss's or does someone turn this into the police and insurance ?
  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Wait they spent $9000 to rip off 2 TVs and your dishes? 

    If I was a crook I’d like to think I’d be better at it than that. Didn’t they lose money? 

    I’m sorry this happened! 

    I’m very obvious that if they bring extra people or make noise after 9:30 they’re not welcome in my home. Doesn’t mean jerks don’t squeak their way in occasionally. 

    I’m sorry! 

    Exactly!…which led me to believe the credit card was stolen as well. I was actually able to replace the TVs for $900. Definitely a bunch of lowlifes
  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Wait they spent $9000 to rip off 2 TVs and your dishes? 

    If I was a crook I’d like to think I’d be better at it than that. Didn’t they lose money? 

    I’m sorry this happened! 

    I’m very obvious that if they bring extra people or make noise after 9:30 they’re not welcome in my home. Doesn’t mean jerks don’t squeak their way in occasionally. 

    I’m sorry! 


    that was my first thought but the OP thinks the CC was stolen.. and I suspect that was the case. Will air bnb cover all this damage and loss's or does someone turn this into the police and insurance ?

     Even though Airbnb said I didn’t have to file a police report…I did so the next morning. I put an $11,000 claim into Airbnbs claims department, currently waiting for the final outcome. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Wait a minute....you say you saw them with 40 people in your house, plus your stuff out on the front lawn....? And you did nothing? 

    And accepting a same day, late night reservation is a no-no anyway.....

    Sorry for the issues, and yes people are jerks, but it seems like a lot of this is on you.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    That is awful. Sorry this happened to you.

    I'm interested to know the outcome of this. 

    Something I do of every guest is require them to send me a copy ofntheir Drivers license.

    I have this built into the automated messages that Vrbo and Airbnb provide. 

    It says " In order to confirm your reservation please send a copy of your driver's license to confirm your identity and  that you are over 25" They email or text it to me.

  • Nicole ArochaBusiness Member
    Lead Product Designer at BiggerPockets · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 88 posts · 51 votes
    3y

    Oh no! Hopefully Airbnb does the right thing here.

    What area are you in? 

    We just had a strange/unsettling experience with an Uber driver when we left our Airbnb to head to the airport in Kissimmee, FL - got grilled on if the place was an airbnb and if anyone was staying there by the driver. Felt like we had to lie and say that the place belonged to a relative who lived there full-time and we were just visiting.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Last week something similar happened to another host in our mastermind. In their case it was later figured out the women committed identity fraud and stole the valuables from the Airbnb. I hope everything turns out ok for you!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:

    Last week something similar happened to another host in our mastermind. In their case it was later figured out the women committed identity fraud and stole the valuables from the Airbnb. I hope everything turns out ok for you!


    seems like a new scam a brewing  by the bad guys.
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Sorry to hear that! 

    Were they ID Verified on Airbnb? Be prepared for a struggle with Airbnb unfortunately.

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Wait a minute....you say you saw them with 40 people in your house, plus your stuff out on the front lawn....? And you did nothing? 

    And accepting a same day, late night reservation is a no-no anyway.....

    Sorry for the issues, and yes people are jerks, but it seems like a lot of this is on you.

    Wow didn’t know last-minute, same day reservations were a part of the scam. It’s so much scam going on. 

    One of the camera batteries was dying so I didn’t want to drain it completely by repeatedly checking the rings. We didn’t know all of those people were actually in the house until we went through the footage. If we’d known all of those people were there we would have definitely handled the situation differently. 

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    3y

    This is horrible. It certainly seems like he was plotting on something. I’m in New Jersey. Glad you got out of there safely!

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y

    Sorry this happened!

  • Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    That is awful. Sorry this happened to you.

    I'm interested to know the outcome of this. 

    Something I do of every guest is require them to send me a copy ofntheir Drivers license.

    I have this built into the automated messages that Vrbo and Airbnb provide. 

    It says " In order to confirm your reservation please send a copy of your driver's license to confirm your identity and  that you are over 25" They email or text it to me.

    Actually I thought I had it set for them to provide their IDs. I do know both sites always shows “identity verified “ after booking. I’m definitely going to take you advice
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I hope everything works out in the end @Kimbi Slice. The last minute booking late at night would have been a red flag for me as well.

  • Member since 2023 · 243 posts · 199 votes
    3y

    I’m very surprised AirBnB said not to file a police report. Hopefully it’s because they will do it but they won’t supply them with all the possible info.

    Filing a report is required to get any investigation started. The footage, phone number, card number, fingerprints, make/model of the vehicle, etc can all be traced. Give them everything. Gas station cameras where the truck got gas can then be used.

    Also, this may be a bigger operation where feds may already be involved. Sounds like a detailed yet sloppy operation. They will get caught only if the investigation occurs based on the report. If only a few are caught, they will tell about the others when serious charges are in their face.

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    I'm so sorry this happened to you! It sounds like an unfortunate reminder to trust your gut... I have a very good friend who just went through something similar and Airbnb did not investigate the case further. I hope filing that police report on your end will force them to take action, and give you a favorable outcome!

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Wait a minute....you say you saw them with 40 people in your house, plus your stuff out on the front lawn....? And you did nothing? 

    And accepting a same day, late night reservation is a no-no anyway.....

    Sorry for the issues, and yes people are jerks, but it seems like a lot of this is on you.


     Newbie here. What course of action would you have taken if you saw this?

  • Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 13 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kimbi Slice:

    The Friday night before Memorial Day, I got a ping. My Airbnb just got a whole weeks booking! Great…guest paid $8,824 for an 8 day stay. I was grateful! Because it was a late night (8:20 PM) booking, I replied to confirm that check in was actually for that night. She replied “Yes. I’m just looking for a place for me and my family to rest our heads.”  I asked for 2 hours so that I could make sure it’s ready…and for the inconvenience I gave them an extra night free.

    I didn’t know why my intuition was antsy but it was the whole time. I discreetly stayed around to watch them check in. A small SUV with children arrived first…an hour later a red pickup truck pulled up. At this time they all went in. 

    My camera signal was low so I didn’t want to keep opening the app for it to die…but I was able to screenshot it and zoom in from my phone screen. It was a holiday week. They had over 40 people in and out of my home. Majority of them looked like junkies. One night, I saw something that appeared to be my master bedspread on the front lawn but I was like naw it couldn’t be. 

    When they left, the camera showed a loaded truck bed with luggage stacked high….as the whole week they loaded the truck bed every single night. It didn’t dawn on me that they were loading the truck with my items.

    They stole 2 55” TVs out of my gaming room, EVERYTHING out of my kitchen cabinets including the dishes, glasses, small appliances: Ninja blenders, toasters, air fryers and more. They put cigarettes out on my sofa, nightstands, and carpets. Vomit everywhere! I found drug paraphernalia everywhere. The home reeked of all sorts of odors. 

    I’m glad I kept all communication on the site. It was a devastating experience!

    Currently, I’m waiting for Airbnb to refund me. No one has said anything yet, but I bet that credit card was stolen too. Has anyone else been scammed like this before? What is the purpose of going through these platforms if they aren’t really verifying the guests as they say they are?


     Sorry, this happened to you! Please let us know the outcome with Airbnb!

  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    3y

    Protip y'all, get a doorbell camera. No excuse nowadays to not have one. Record their faces, how many come in and out, only $100,and it's high quality. Wires into your doorbell so you don't run out of batteries ever. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Tyler Sherman:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Wait a minute....you say you saw them with 40 people in your house, plus your stuff out on the front lawn....? And you did nothing? 

    And accepting a same day, late night reservation is a no-no anyway.....

    Sorry for the issues, and yes people are jerks, but it seems like a lot of this is on you.


     Newbie here. What course of action would you have taken if you saw this?


     Called them and let them know that I knew, asked them politely to get the people out of my house. Called ABNB to report the infraction. Followed up an hour later. Called local LE if necessary.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kimbi Slice:

    The Friday night before Memorial Day, I got a ping. My Airbnb just got a whole weeks booking! Great…guest paid $8,824 for an 8 day stay. I was grateful! Because it was a late night (8:20 PM) booking, I replied to confirm that check in was actually for that night. She replied “Yes. I’m just looking for a place for me and my family to rest our heads.”  I asked for 2 hours so that I could make sure it’s ready…and for the inconvenience I gave them an extra night free.

    I didn’t know why my intuition was antsy but it was the whole time. I discreetly stayed around to watch them check in. A small SUV with children arrived first…an hour later a red pickup truck pulled up. At this time they all went in. 

    My camera signal was low so I didn’t want to keep opening the app for it to die…but I was able to screenshot it and zoom in from my phone screen. It was a holiday week. They had over 40 people in and out of my home. Majority of them looked like junkies. One night, I saw something that appeared to be my master bedspread on the front lawn but I was like naw it couldn’t be. 

    When they left, the camera showed a loaded truck bed with luggage stacked high….as the whole week they loaded the truck bed every single night. It didn’t dawn on me that they were loading the truck with my items.

    They stole 2 55” TVs out of my gaming room, EVERYTHING out of my kitchen cabinets including the dishes, glasses, small appliances: Ninja blenders, toasters, air fryers and more. They put cigarettes out on my sofa, nightstands, and carpets. Vomit everywhere! I found drug paraphernalia everywhere. The home reeked of all sorts of odors. 

    I’m glad I kept all communication on the site. It was a devastating experience!

    Currently, I’m waiting for Airbnb to refund me. No one has said anything yet, but I bet that credit card was stolen too. Has anyone else been scammed like this before? What is the purpose of going through these platforms if they aren’t really verifying the guests as they say they are?


     I was scammed like this before but in car rental business. This is a methodolgical operation that they try to hunt the house/car that has value. Usually they do this for drugs or identity theft. You should report to the police instead rather than Airbnb. Make this as big noise to Airbnb.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    That is awful. Sorry this happened to you.

    I'm interested to know the outcome of this. 

    Something I do of every guest is require them to send me a copy ofntheir Drivers license.

    I have this built into the automated messages that Vrbo and Airbnb provide. 

    It says " In order to confirm your reservation please send a copy of your driver's license to confirm your identity and  that you are over 25" They email or text it to me.


     Just checking their Driver License is not enough my friend because they're professional criminal. Once you receive DL do heavy background check on them is necessary sometimes. They could even create fake Driver License. These criminals are pro. 

    Honestly I was able to figure it how they operated because I found their cell and laptop and how they plan to attack every car/house is very sophisticated. This identity theft ring and theft operation is very scary actually.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I'm sorry to hear this happen to you. 

    I would most definitely file a police report as stealing is very much....criminal. The police should pursue these people for stealing. Completely separately from anything else they should get involved.

    I'm curious how airbnb is going to handle this because my experience with their customer service has been absolutely terrible. 

    Please keep us updated. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Todd Jones:

    I’m very surprised AirBnB said not to file a police report. Hopefully it’s because they will do it but they won’t supply them with all the possible info.

    Filing a report is required to get any investigation started. The footage, phone number, card number, fingerprints, make/model of the vehicle, etc can all be traced. Give them everything. Gas station cameras where the truck got gas can then be used.

    Also, this may be a bigger operation where feds may already be involved. Sounds like a detailed yet sloppy operation. They will get caught only if the investigation occurs based on the report. If only a few are caught, they will tell about the others when serious charges are in their face.

    Airbnb doesn’t want it reported because they don’t want the bad PR.
    They made an announcement this spring that all guests’ identities would now be verified. (Most people thought they already were doing that!). So this is another black eye for their management skills. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.