Ocean City STR investor

Ocean City STR investor

Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes

Hi BP community! 

As my investing career has been advancing I wanted to start a thread for people interested in short term (or long term) rentals in Ocean City, Maryland and the Delaware beaches.

I have two STR's in Ocean City that are doing very well. I also have one in Bethany Beach and Lake Harmony, PA. So far, Ocean City has been my favorite market. I am also a realtor in MD & DE and have been helping other people get STR's in that area.

My goal is to acquire another property this year, but I am struggling to build capital fast enough to amount to a down payment. I have used hard money for my last two purchases and rates are so high right now that it kills most deals. What are others doing to raise capital?

5Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Heather Carrow when you say hard money loan, are you more referring to just a private loan in general, or specifically a short-term/bridge loan (i.e 6-18 months) that is used either for the purchase + rehab or the home, or just the purchase of the home (but on a tight time frame) with an interest rate of around 9%-11% and 1-3% in origination fee? Trying to understand if you're referring to a DSCR loan or a true "hard money loan."

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    Hi BP community! 

    As my investing career has been advancing I wanted to start a thread for people interested in short term (or long term) rentals in Ocean City, Maryland and the Delaware beaches.

    I have two STR's in Ocean City that are doing very well. I also have one in Bethany Beach and Lake Harmony, PA. So far, Ocean City has been my favorite market. I am also a realtor in MD & DE and have been helping other people get STR's in that area.

    My goal is to acquire another property this year, but I am struggling to build capital fast enough to amount to a down payment. I have used hard money for my last two purchases and rates are so high right now that it kills most deals. What are others doing to raise capital?


     Have you thought about partnering? You have the experience and team in the market, it sounds like you just need a $$ partner. yes you would give up some of the equity but it would help you scale faster if that's your goal.


     I would love a partner. It would make it a lot easier to scale. I have partnered in the past, and it went well, but I would need someone that can bring some capital to the table. Do you have any tips on getting a partner?

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    Hi BP community! 

    As my investing career has been advancing I wanted to start a thread for people interested in short term (or long term) rentals in Ocean City, Maryland and the Delaware beaches.

    I have two STR's in Ocean City that are doing very well. I also have one in Bethany Beach and Lake Harmony, PA. So far, Ocean City has been my favorite market. I am also a realtor in MD & DE and have been helping other people get STR's in that area.

    My goal is to acquire another property this year, but I am struggling to build capital fast enough to amount to a down payment. I have used hard money for my last two purchases and rates are so high right now that it kills most deals. What are others doing to raise capital?


     Have you thought about partnering? You have the experience and team in the market, it sounds like you just need a $$ partner. yes you would give up some of the equity but it would help you scale faster if that's your goal.


     I would love a partner. It would make it a lot easier to scale. I have partnered in the past, and it went well, but I would need someone that can bring some capital to the table. Do you have any tips on getting a partner?


     Be as specific as you can about your goals and then try and find a partner to fill the gaps. I just went through my first partnership with a great friend of mine back in PA. It definitely helps ease the burden as everything is split 50/50.

    What size property size are you looking for in OCMD? What St? I grew up vacationing in OCMD and know the area well from OCMD to Rehoboth. Some great memories from that area!

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    @Lauren Kormylo How is the market in Rehoboth for STR's? I have one in Bethany and the off-season is so tough compared to Ocean City. Ocean City does so much to drive tourism year-round and I have found that Bethany does not do this as much. Summer is great in both markets though!
     
    @Sarah Kensingerundefined I like this idea. Would you be willing to share a bit about how you found hosts to allow you to co-host for them?

    @Michael Baum I do have equity built up due to appreciation so that Is an option. & I did a DSCR for 2 of my properties in the past. I enjoyed the process, but rates are very high right now.

    @Robin Simon one is a second home loan with a great rate and the other is a hard money DSCR loan also with a great 30 year fixed rate (thanks to the covid rates).

    @Account Closed agreed it is a scary time. I am seeing listings sit longer in this market and competition is lower. I think that if you can get a deal that makes sense and then refi down the Road when rates lower it could put you in a good position when everyone else wants to start buying again. 

    Sure! There are many different ways to find potential hosts to co-host for. I found some local people here through biggerpockets, then we also have a website and blog, I heard one lady gained several properties through social media marketing, and calling listings for rent by owner to see if they would be interested in switching to STR (hopefully I didn't just open a can of worms). With this option you need to know the STR numbers of the area, and that the owner would have a significant increase of monthly rent. My favorite is going to REI meetups!

    Your opinion on refinancing reminded me of what a realtor recently told me...you marry the house and date the interest rate. I thought that was a pretty good analogy to remember!


     Just curious, how did you find some cohost clients through bigger pockets?

    By consistently adding value and actually bring some fresh/new ideas to BP STR forum. :) Seriously though the more you show up and add value, people realize you can help them out.
  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    Hi BP community! 

    As my investing career has been advancing I wanted to start a thread for people interested in short term (or long term) rentals in Ocean City, Maryland and the Delaware beaches.

    I have two STR's in Ocean City that are doing very well. I also have one in Bethany Beach and Lake Harmony, PA. So far, Ocean City has been my favorite market. I am also a realtor in MD & DE and have been helping other people get STR's in that area.

    My goal is to acquire another property this year, but I am struggling to build capital fast enough to amount to a down payment. I have used hard money for my last two purchases and rates are so high right now that it kills most deals. What are others doing to raise capital?


     Have you thought about partnering? You have the experience and team in the market, it sounds like you just need a $$ partner. yes you would give up some of the equity but it would help you scale faster if that's your goal.


     I would love a partner. It would make it a lot easier to scale. I have partnered in the past, and it went well, but I would need someone that can bring some capital to the table. Do you have any tips on getting a partner?


     Be as specific as you can about your goals and then try and find a partner to fill the gaps. I just went through my first partnership with a great friend of mine back in PA. It definitely helps ease the burden as everything is split 50/50.

    What size property size are you looking for in OCMD? What St? I grew up vacationing in OCMD and know the area well from OCMD to Rehoboth. Some great memories from that area!

    I think being specific about goals is definitely key! 

    I am looking anywhere in OC as long as the unit/house would make sense as a solid rental. I also love the area! I have found that units with a good view and solid amenities make for the best rentals in my experience. 

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Sarah Kensinger:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    @Lauren Kormylo How is the market in Rehoboth for STR's? I have one in Bethany and the off-season is so tough compared to Ocean City. Ocean City does so much to drive tourism year-round and I have found that Bethany does not do this as much. Summer is great in both markets though!
     
    @Sarah Kensingerundefined I like this idea. Would you be willing to share a bit about how you found hosts to allow you to co-host for them?

    @Michael Baum I do have equity built up due to appreciation so that Is an option. & I did a DSCR for 2 of my properties in the past. I enjoyed the process, but rates are very high right now.

    @Robin Simon one is a second home loan with a great rate and the other is a hard money DSCR loan also with a great 30 year fixed rate (thanks to the covid rates).

    @Account Closed agreed it is a scary time. I am seeing listings sit longer in this market and competition is lower. I think that if you can get a deal that makes sense and then refi down the Road when rates lower it could put you in a good position when everyone else wants to start buying again. 

    Sure! There are many different ways to find potential hosts to co-host for. I found some local people here through biggerpockets, then we also have a website and blog, I heard one lady gained several properties through social media marketing, and calling listings for rent by owner to see if they would be interested in switching to STR (hopefully I didn't just open a can of worms). With this option you need to know the STR numbers of the area, and that the owner would have a significant increase of monthly rent. My favorite is going to REI meetups!

    Your opinion on refinancing reminded me of what a realtor recently told me...you marry the house and date the interest rate. I thought that was a pretty good analogy to remember!


     Just curious, how did you find some cohost clients through bigger pockets?

    By consistently adding value and actually bring some fresh/new ideas to BP STR forum. :) Seriously though the more you show up and add value, people realize you can help them out.

    I need to spend more time on the BP STR forum again. I haven't been on in a long time! I found the realtor for our first STR here on the BP forums and now we own 2 properties. Time flies when you take action! Appreciate the insight!

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    Hi BP community! 

    As my investing career has been advancing I wanted to start a thread for people interested in short term (or long term) rentals in Ocean City, Maryland and the Delaware beaches.

    I have two STR's in Ocean City that are doing very well. I also have one in Bethany Beach and Lake Harmony, PA. So far, Ocean City has been my favorite market. I am also a realtor in MD & DE and have been helping other people get STR's in that area.

    My goal is to acquire another property this year, but I am struggling to build capital fast enough to amount to a down payment. I have used hard money for my last two purchases and rates are so high right now that it kills most deals. What are others doing to raise capital?


     Have you thought about partnering? You have the experience and team in the market, it sounds like you just need a $$ partner. yes you would give up some of the equity but it would help you scale faster if that's your goal.


     I would love a partner. It would make it a lot easier to scale. I have partnered in the past, and it went well, but I would need someone that can bring some capital to the table. Do you have any tips on getting a partner?


     Be as specific as you can about your goals and then try and find a partner to fill the gaps. I just went through my first partnership with a great friend of mine back in PA. It definitely helps ease the burden as everything is split 50/50.

    What size property size are you looking for in OCMD? What St? I grew up vacationing in OCMD and know the area well from OCMD to Rehoboth. Some great memories from that area!

    I think being specific about goals is definitely key! 

    I am looking anywhere in OC as long as the unit/house would make sense as a solid rental. I also love the area! I have found that units with a good view and solid amenities make for the best rentals in my experience. 


     I agree, views definitely help! I grew up staying in rentals on the bayside (im assuming due to cost) but after having kids, Beach side is more attractive and also more $$$. Fenwick would be great due to taxes but good properties that cash flow are few and far between. Fixer Uppers are the way to go to force appreciation.

  • Real Estate Agent · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    Where are you guys finding deals in OC? All on market? 

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brooks Rothschild:

    Where are you guys finding deals in OC? All on market? 


    If they are on market, value add is going to be the best way to get good COC return. I would recommend networking with some local realtors as well to stay ahead of the curve and maybe find some pocket deals. I like the DE side a little better. I wish there were more SFH beach side in OC but they are becoming more rare with development.

  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y

    Right now it is a little tough with the interest rates and the prices still being pretty high, but I think that prices will only continue to go up, so my strategy has shifted a little bit. I am accepting slightly less cash flow, with my eye on the appreciation potential. I do agree that if you can find something you can fix up and add value add it would be ideal. I am a realtor in Ocean City by the way! If anyone wants to be on my list for pocket listings send me a message. I am happy to send them. 

  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y

    @Bob LettYes, would definitely partner with the right person. I have done that in the past and it has worked out well for me.

    I think to find a co-host, you should put it out there on BP or look for the active hosts in your area that are killing it & ask them if they would be interested in co-hosting for you. 
     

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New Jersey/Eastern PA · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Heather Carrow - hi Heather, hit me up. We are getting out of a 15 year LTR and looking to do a 1031 exchange for a STR in OCMD. Closing in late May so timing is a bit of an issue. We haven't been in the STR market, so can use the local expertise.

    Thanks!

    Frank

  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Frank Esposito:

    @Heather Carrow - hi Heather, hit me up. We are getting out of a 15 year LTR and looking to do a 1031 exchange for a STR in OCMD. Closing in late May so timing is a bit of an issue. We haven't been in the STR market, so can use the local expertise.

    Thanks!

    Frank


     Happy to help and looking forward to chatting with you about your next move! 

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    @Bob LettYes, would definitely partner with the right person. I have done that in the past and it has worked out well for me.

    I think to find a co-host, you should put it out there on BP or look for the active hosts in your area that are killing it & ask them if they would be interested in co-hosting for you. 
     


     I will definitely reach out! I would love to chat about properties in OCMD.

  • Realtor · Ocean City, MD · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    @Bob LettYes, would definitely partner with the right person. I have done that in the past and it has worked out well for me.

    I think to find a co-host, you should put it out there on BP or look for the active hosts in your area that are killing it & ask them if they would be interested in co-hosting for you. 
     


     I will definitely reach out! I would love to chat about properties in OCMD.


     Sounds great!! Happy to help in any way that I can!

  • Rockford, MI · Member since 2018 · 97 posts · 26 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:
    Quote from @Bob Lett:
    Quote from @Heather Carrow:

    @Bob LettYes, would definitely partner with the right person. I have done that in the past and it has worked out well for me.

    I think to find a co-host, you should put it out there on BP or look for the active hosts in your area that are killing it & ask them if they would be interested in co-hosting for you. 
     


     I will definitely reach out! I would love to chat about properties in OCMD.


     Sounds great!! Happy to help in any way that I can!


     Great! I sent you a PM!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.