Vacation Home + Part-Time Rental in Downtown Memphis

Vacation Home + Part-Time Rental in Downtown Memphis

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 19 votes

My wife & I are looking to purchase an apartment that we can use in Downtown Memphis when we visit, but also use as a short-term rental to help provide supplemental income when we aren't there (Airbnb, private website, etc). Ideally we're looking for something Downtown, South Main, or the Pinch District.

We're seeing a lot of units listed on Airbnb, however, when we look at units in the same or surrounding properties we're seeing that a majority of the condo associations require at least a 6 month leases.

Clearly people are listing their places on Airbnb so I'm wondering how they're getting around this. The obvious answer is they either they aren't telling the condo association or the condo association / property management doesn't actually care enough to take action. 

We haven't had experience with a condo before so I'm looking to hear from others who have invest in either a condo, Memphis, or both. What action can a condo association take if you are "caught" renting your apartment for a shorter timeframe?

1Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Sarah KensingerPro Member
Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

Don't have an answer to your question but one thing I do want to throw out there is.... You don't get anywhere doing underhanded things. Even if everyone else is getting away with it for now, doesn't mean they won't do something to stop the STR in that complex sometime.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I would find out the rules to be legal and follow them.

    Is it even permitted to have a STR in downtown Memphis? Do you have to have a special permit or license?

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Don't have an answer to your question but one thing I do want to throw out there is.... You don't get anywhere doing underhanded things. Even if everyone else is getting away with it for now, doesn't mean they won't do something to stop the STR in that complex sometime.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Matt Rutter. Here are the regs on Memphis STRs - https://memphis.granicus.com/M...

    Once you get through the rigamarole of those, then you need to drill down on the unit. So many condo units don't allow under 30 day rentals.

    There is always a chance that the condo board could disallow STRs after you buy and get started.

    Like @Sarah Kensinger said, you don't want to be that guy who breaks the rules and makes everyone's life hard.

  • Attorney · Memphis, TN · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 104 votes
    3y

    @Matt Rutter Some HOAs are more active/lenient than others. But I think most HOAs would catch a STR sooner or later. Probably as soon as the neighbors started complaining.

    As far as getting caught - they'd probably hit you with fines. A good closing attorney will read through the HOA documents to look for leasing prohibitions. Just make sure you include in your offer that the offer is contingent upon being able to operate a STR.

  • James WachobBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 887 votes
    3y

    @Matt Rutter I have a client who has some SFR STRs. He gets a lot of clients who need a furnished home to house traveling nurses or construction workers for the Blue Oval project. If you want more information, I'll be happy to talk to you offline.

  • Member since 2023 · 122 posts · 68 votes
    3y

    With Blue oval project being more near Stanton are Memphis investors hosting their workers?

  • Member since 2023 · 122 posts · 68 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matt Rutter:

    My wife & I are looking to purchase an apartment that we can use in Downtown Memphis when we visit, but also use as a short-term rental to help provide supplemental income when we aren't there (Airbnb, private website, etc). Ideally we're looking for something Downtown, South Main, or the Pinch District.

    We're seeing a lot of units listed on Airbnb, however, when we look at units in the same or surrounding properties we're seeing that a majority of the condo associations require at least a 6 month leases.

    Clearly people are listing their places on Airbnb so I'm wondering how they're getting around this. The obvious answer is they either they aren't telling the condo association or the condo association / property management doesn't actually care enough to take action. 

    We haven't had experience with a condo before so I'm looking to hear from others who have invest in either a condo, Memphis, or both. What action can a condo association take if you are "caught" renting your apartment for a shorter timeframe?


     I wouldn't risk it. Look for an apartment in the pinch or uptown area in Memphis. I saw a five unit available in the uptown area on 712 fifth st for $599k

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.