STR Investors! Do you also regularly use your/other STRs?

STR Investors! Do you also regularly use your/other STRs?

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 137 posts · 106 votes

Just curious to learn how many investors are avid users compared to those that are solely looking at the market as an asset class.

If you own STRs do you find yourself staying in other STRs or even your own on a regular basis?

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 22 votes
3y

I LOVE sharing our STRs with others, and I LOVE staying in STRs.

The best one was back in 2012 when my bride and I were on our honeymoon.  We rented the top floor of a farmhouse overlooking the lake in Interlachen, Switzerland.  This was back before a lot of the automations that we all use today.  The instructions to get to the house was:

"Arrive via train and ask a local which one is Lake Brienz.  Take the bus road that runs parallel to the lake until you hear the bells of our cows.  Go to the second floor and make yourself at home."

That whole week, we were terrified we were in the wrong spot!

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I have never in my life used an Airbnb aside from mine. I have a wyndham time share and for what it is, it serves all my vacation/travel. I have condos at Snowshoe and use them twice a year.  

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Andres Murillo

    Yep, that’s why we bought it. But in reality, we only stay at the cabin in Branson a couple times a year. Lol

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    If/when I purchase my first STR, the location I do purchase in will certainly be an area that would consider staying in for a weekend or briefly. I feel like that's a must.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Andres Murillo:

    Just curious to learn how many investors are avid users compared to those that are solely looking at the market as an asset class.

    If you own STRs do you find yourself staying in other STRs or even your own on a regular basis?


     yes, stay in hawaii 3 weeks out of 3-4 months.

  • Professional · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 126 posts · 123 votes
    3y
    I stay in both mine and others when i travel, and i book travel for several bands that i manage, and try to book str whenever i can for those as well!
  • Realtor · Pigeon Forge, TN · Member since 2018 · 230 posts · 111 votes
    3y

    Yes, We share our cabins with friends and family often including condo in Destin! I love visiting the properties for off season especially when there is less traffic and so much quieter! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y

    All of my STRs are in the town where I live, but I still stay in my first one (originally a vacation property for myself before I stumbled into Airbnb hosting 9 years ago after having been an Airbnb guest for awhile).  I like to stay in it near my birthday, but that's close to Memorial Day, so I flex the date to be sure I get the holiday renters.

    I usually end up doing several small projects to improve my place(s), so it's not truly a "vacation" for me, but I'd say that's true for any owner.  No one is going to love your baby like you do, so it's good to stay in your own places periodically to get the vibe, see what needs to be done, and dream up new amenities or sweet touches that your next guests will love.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.