Does anyone provide bonuses to STR cleaners for 5 star reviews?

Does anyone provide bonuses to STR cleaners for 5 star reviews?

Real Estate Agent · Atlanta GA · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 4 votes

Hello, I own several STRs in Hilton Head and am struggling with the cleaning not being done to the standard of a 5 star review.  With very limited options for cleaners, I was thinking of offering the current cleaners a bonus after receiving great reviews.  Has anyone had luck with this strategy?  If so, I love to hear your approach!  I pay between $135 and $165 per cleaning of my condos and not sure what would be motivating to the cleaner and also not leave me broke by paying even more for cleaning out of pocket.  Any insight would be appreciated.  

3Reply
114 views

Most Popular Reply

Travis TimmonsPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y

I've found that they are either a good cleaner or they are not. Offering extra money for 5 star review may help a bit in the short term, but water eventually finds it's level. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I've found that they are either a good cleaner or they are not. Offering extra money for 5 star review may help a bit in the short term, but water eventually finds it's level. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    We have not done this, but I'd like to hear from others.  I like the concept.  I pay performance bonuses in my other business; seems like top performance from housekeeping is something worth rewarding.  Great idea!

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I agree with @Travis Timmons.  They either take pride in their work or they don't.  No cleaners are perfect however, they are human just like the rest of us.  My cleaners are awesome and although we do not give them bonuses for every 5 star review we do forward them any reviews that reference the cleanliness.  They like to see that, but from time to time we do different things, like take them out to a nice restaurant when we are in town, give them gift cards to let them know we appreciate them, we send them something extra for Christmas etc and basically let them know they are part of our team and we appreciate them.  We do this on a regular basis.

    But its like any other job.  The normal clean should be a 5 star clean, period.   That is what the job calls for.  If any of the rest of us showed up to work and just did 4 star work, we wouldn't be there long or at least moved to the bottom of the pack in large companies.  In my experience the larger the cleaning company, the worse performance you will get.  If you can find a small setup with just a handful of people with the owner being the primary cleaner, you will usually get your best service.

    I would look for other cleaners, and set out the expectations ahead of time with them.  You might have to cycle through several cleaners until you find a good one.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta GA · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    I heard about this on a recent Bigger Pockets podcast #665.  I guess I should DM him for more info!

  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    I think it's a great idea! But the questions I have are...

    1. Where exactly are your current cleaners not meeting expectations?

    2. Why are these cleaners not cleaning the properties to your standards?

    I had a similar issue with the cleaners that my property manager hired. It ended up being an easy fix.. just taking the time to meet with the cleaners to set expectations on exactly the way that I expected the properties to look after guest checked out, and why those were the expectations.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    4y

    I’ve found it’s a manual process to do this. Just pay them well and fire fast 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I would not, it sets a bad precedent. People should operate at a high level and just do their jobs when they're being paid as such. Now if you're underpaying them, I don't know, maybe they feel like they're being underpaid?

    You'd be sending a mixed message IMHO. What you're saying is - "We agreed on an amount of $165 for you to clean my unit to a certain standard. Yet you usually don't. But when you finally do, I will pay you more".

    WTF?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    A good job for fair pay is an expectation.

  • Realtor · Pocono Pines, PA · Member since 2019 · 183 posts · 108 votes
    4y

    Yes, I love @Travis Timmons response, if the cleaners are continuously not being very great and it is reflecting on your review performance, you should seriously consider dropping them.

    I work with a property management company with over 200 STR properties managed and we have after going through many cleaning teams, found a few that genuinely do great work, and instantly our reviews went up. I suggest possibly talking to other hosts nearby to your area and see how their cleaners are and start using them.

    Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

    Live Free, 

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 280 votes
    4y

    We give our cleaners a holiday tip/bonus at the end of the year.

    The amount of the bonus factors in the yearly performance such as compliments on cleaning, complaints on cleaning, and going above-and-beyond when needed.

    Mike

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Our cleaner and her family get to use the house a couple of times a year. They will be there mid Oct for 5 days. All she has to do is clean it.

    She used it in May as well. She has a long drive round the lake to get to our house. It is pretty much a whole day thing to do a back to back at our home. We get regular comments on how clean the house is.

    I plan on doing a little bonus at Christmas this year as well.

  • TX · Member since 2018 · 154 posts · 92 votes
    4y

    It’s not necessarily about taking pride in their work, it’s about getting them to care about your job. I pay a $30 bonus (25%) and that seems to work. Gives them a bit more extra motivation and to give me great service. I feel good knowing our interests align and it’s not just about a job.

  • TX · Member since 2018 · 154 posts · 92 votes
    4y

    It’s not necessarily about taking pride in their work, it’s about getting them to care about your job. I pay a $30 bonus (25%) and that seems to work. Gives them a bit more extra motivation and to give me great service. I feel good knowing our interests align and it’s not just about a job.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    For my newest rental, I started my cleaner off by raising her wages by $10 a clean and setting communication + cleanliness expectations. I let her know that if cleanliness is up to par on the reviews over the next 2 months, I would be raising her wages another $10 a clean. 

    There have been some private comments made by guests but I now have the 5 star reviews I need. For any comments, I immediately have a conversation with my cleaner and also discuss if any additional supplies are needed. 

    Like others, I do holiday and birthday bonuses. 

  • Gregory MillerPro Member
    Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    @Sarah Sass I had an acceptable (not great) cleaner, when I told her I'd give a bonus for 5 star reviews, her performance declined until I eventually had to fire her.

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    @Michelle L Irastorza

    Are you asking your guests for 5 star reviews? I mention in my check in message my goal is to provide a 5 star experience and if anything doesn't meet that expectation to let me know and I will address it immediately. Sometimes that means calling my cleaner and sending them back to the house. In my check out message I ask for the 5 star review and a quick sentence on how 5 star reviews impact my business. What I found is that "minor issues" that would have dinged me to a 4 star previously is either mentioned in a private note and the public review is a 5 OR they message me during their stay, I resolve the issue, they appreciate it, and they give me a 5 star review.

    I found people love to be online critics but if you very briefly mention why 5 star reviews are important and promptly address issues as they come up it has a positive impact.

  • Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    We are in process of hiring a cleaner (1099) and training them in our processes. The bonus is something that we are kicking around since they will be working directly for us and not as a part of another cleaning company. 

    We are looking at setting KPI's and then providing a monthly bonus based on performance. For example, average 5 stars in the "Cleanliness" category. 10% bonus on hours worked (paying hourly, not per job) each month. 

    As others have mentioned, this will be a manual process until I can come up with a way to automate. Which is a downside. But I see it as a fairly small investment that will hopefully encourage the employee to take ownership and feel invested in the process. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    I communicate directly with guests before during and checkout. I always ask for the 5 star review. I tell them we live on those.

    I also do a mid stay check in to make sure everything is copacetic. Some guests don't want to reach out if there is an issue. Especially if they think it is dumb. I tell them right off don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions. 

  • Specialist · Southeast · Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    Yeah, this is a pretty common problem. I have found a way to overcome it in our Hilton Head STR's. Big fan of this route.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hilton Head Island · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 25 votes
    3y

    Hey Michelle, I am local on HHI & have been through many different cleaners on my properties. Have you ever heard of MaidForYou HHI? Top notch cleaning company that has ability to sync to your airbnb & vrbo calendars.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta GA · Member since 2021 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Thank you!  

  • Rental Property Investor · south carolina and michigan · Member since 2023 · 348 posts · 226 votes
    3y

    Agree with a lot of the posts. It's a difficult thing but just pay them good all the time(make sure they're worth it) and the 5 stars come.

    we pay $415 for cleaning and linens for a 4 bed 4 bath house. 27 4.97 star reviews. Maybe package the linens for more accountability I find that has helped

    nathan

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    3y

    I will give them a bonus just randomly from time to time. I think the pay should be sufficient for them to truly care about the work they are doing (plus they have to actually care)

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 34 posts · 23 votes
    3y

    I had a cleaner and was paying about $150.  They were not doing well.  I spent a few sessions with them going over everything I expected and even offered to compensate more if they felt it was needed to get the all the extra things I needed done, done. That said, there was nothing needed, but I still presented to them with the idea "I was being picky" but was willing to pay for it. 

    Well long story short, even more money didn't help. If you are not detail orientated, you just aren't going to get it done.  There is no amount of list you can make to ensure a cleaner will complete all to expectations as everything can't be put on a check list.  I

    I have found a great cleaner now that I pay $200 per clean.  I pass that along to customer.  She is so good, I normally bonus her here and there just to say thank you as it would be terrible if I lost her.  I find a good cleaner is the only thing that determines the 5 start ranking.  My current cleaner will even go to the store to pick up any supplies, will paint, fix small things etc.  amazing and I keep paying for it.   

    In summary. Keep searching for a cleaner and consider what increasing your price may do to your reviews, if it will increase your bookings, and if that is worth it to your bottomline.  I am willing to pay more, to ensure 5 start reviews and a consistently fully booked cal.

  • Attorney · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 17 votes
    3y

    I can totally relate to your struggle with finding top-notch cleaners for your STRs. I haven't tried offering bonuses for good reviews personally, but I've heard some folks have had success with that strategy.

    Maybe you could start by offering a small bonus (like $20 or so) for each 5-star cleaning review they get. This could be a good incentive without breaking the bank. If you notice a consistent improvement in cleaning quality, you could consider upping the bonus or working out a tiered system to keep them motivated.

    Also, communication is key! Let your cleaners know what's important for you and your guests, and maybe even provide them with a checklist of specific tasks to focus on. That way, they'll know exactly what you expect and can work on nailing those details.

    Hope this helps a bit! Good luck with finding the perfect balance, and fingers crossed for more 5-star reviews coming your way! 🤞🙂

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.