Atlanta · Member since 2022 · 710 posts · 640 votes
trying to look at just profit numbers. When I vacation near a beach, I know i like to have a pool available too as i dont like the beach every day. Found a house a block or so away at a decent price. Needs some updating, but it also does not have a pool. Want to take my preferences out and make it a business decision. For anyone with knowledge around beach areas, is it worth the cost of putting in a pool?
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 763 posts · 500 votes
4y
I would run the numbers and see what the data says. Go look at people average nightly rates and occupancy in the area and compare those with and without pools. AirDna and Pricelabs give great information for specific properties. It will be a bit labor intensive, but it will give you the answer you want.
Investor · Kill Devil Hills, NC · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 10 votes
4y
Based on my local knowledge of the market on the OBX, I would definitely invest in the pool. You will first want to check with the local town planner to verify what the maximum lot coverage allowance is for the subject property. Each town has their own max lot coverage allowances. You will then want to contact the health department to get a plat showing the septic tank location and drain field location if not on city/county sewer system. Once you have those two pieces of information, you should know whether or not a pool will even be allowed on the property and if so, what size pool it can accommodate. Then run your numbers. You will likely find that with a pool you will get more bookings at a higher rate and more weeks rented each year and will pay for itself within a few years at most.
trying to look at just profit numbers. When I vacation near a beach, I know i like to have a pool available too as i dont like the beach every day. Found a house a block or so away at a decent price. Needs some updating, but it also does not have a pool. Want to take my preferences out and make it a business decision. For anyone with knowledge around beach areas, is it worth the cost of putting in a pool?
In our area and depending on the city, if it's worth over 900k it typically offers a private pool or it resides in an amenity rich community. I think it's a great value play and can increase the likelihood of more booking or extra income by offering that amenity for people on vacation.
Rental Property Investor · Mississippi Gulf Coast · Member since 2022 · 205 posts · 168 votes
4y
People who visit the beach love pools. I own many vacation rentals within walking distance of the beach on the Mississipppi Gulf Coast. You would think that playing around at the beach would be all the water they want. Not true. Our property management company has several condo properties with pools and they get rented frequently. You may not be able to charge more but if it rents more often the dollars may be there.
I think your research onto this by looking at ABB and VRBO can help.
Realtor · Maumee, OH · Member since 2015 · 491 posts · 722 votes
4y
Full disclosure: I own no Airbnb, Beach Houses, etc... But as a parent, kids love pools, even with the ocean. It's just a cleaner environment for them to swim in the evening after being at the beach all day. Go putt-putting during the day? Jump in the pool when you get home. Went out for ice cream? Jump in the pool. I agree with everyone saying that if the comps justify it and you plan on holding for a while, then do it, it just seems like it would make it even more in demand.