Feedback on STR, Hit me with your best shot!

Feedback on STR, Hit me with your best shot!

Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes

Ok all you STR pros, get out your red pens, I need some feedback!

A couple months ago I purchased my first STR. The house is in Canyon Lake, which is a beautiful lake known as the Jewel of Hill Country. The market we are going after are groups, families, and girls trips looking for a luxury experience at a large private property with a pool, hot tub, game room, etc... that is close to the lake. Link below:

https://www.vrbo.com/2783992?u...

Thank you!

3Reply
108 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

Great house and love the pool.

This appears to be an interior lot so by my definition this is not a Lake house. This is a lake view house at best and seems like false advertising to me.

When I am looking for say a beach house and select waterfront it irks me when a bunch of non water front houses show up in the search results. 

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2022 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Sparks awesome place! Are you planning to list it anywhere else other than VRBO? I think this could also do well on Airbnb, Expedia and on Marriott Homes&Villas

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    Perfect!


     Thank you.

  • Megan BlythePro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver Colorado · Member since 2019 · 22 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    Great Listing! You did a great job featuring your amenities, bedrooms and beds etc, area etc. I do agree with the comment on professional photos, while your pictures are nice I could tell from looking at them that they aren't professional photographs. Getting pro photos will take your listing to the next level! I would also say that while the shots of the pool are nice the first 5+ pictures on the listing were of the pool/amenities and not of the house itself. I would have the best photo or two of the pool first to attract attention and then some nice shots of the house. Looks like a great property and you are doing a good job with it!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:

    Hmmm. Looking at other properties, I don’t see anyone using “Lake ______ “ who isn’t waterfront. We’ve not had anyone have an issue so far, but to your point, we could. Any suggestions on what to use then? 

    This lake is a bit different in that even if you are lake front, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have easy water access and there are no docks allowed.

    thanks for all the honest feedback!


     How about Lake View ?

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 292 votes
    4y

    Your listing looks pretty great! One of my favorite parts is not only that the pictures are amazing, but your title is as well. You use all the space necessary to let people know what's available and what you're close to. It's not simply "Beautiful Place with a Pool" but so much more than that. So kudos on a successful listing!

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 7 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:

    Ok all you STR pros, get out your red pens, I need some feedback!

    A couple months ago I purchased my first STR. The house is in Canyon Lake, which is a beautiful lake known as the Jewel of Hill Country. The market we are going after are groups, families, and girls trips looking for a luxury experience at a large private property with a pool, hot tub, game room, etc... that is close to the lake. Link below:

    https://www.vrbo.com/2783992?u...

    Thank you!


     Change your thumbnails so the first 5 photos are ALL of different features of your house.

    Second part of your description is bullet point format, maybe make the every beginning similar highlighting absolute best features

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Scott Yesner:

    @Jonathan Sparks awesome place! Are you planning to list it anywhere else other than VRBO? I think this could also do well on Airbnb, Expedia and on Marriott Homes&Villas

    Hi Scott. Great idea. Yes, we are on Airbnb. We’ve looked into Expedia, haven’t completed our profile. Marriott requires you to go through a management company, which doesn’t work for us given we self manage.

    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Megan Blythe:

    Great Listing! You did a great job featuring your amenities, bedrooms and beds etc, area etc. I do agree with the comment on professional photos, while your pictures are nice I could tell from looking at them that they aren't professional photographs. Getting pro photos will take your listing to the next level! I would also say that while the shots of the pool are nice the first 5+ pictures on the listing were of the pool/amenities and not of the house itself. I would have the best photo or two of the pool first to attract attention and then some nice shots of the house. Looks like a great property and you are doing a good job with it!


     Thank you!

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Andrew Street:

    Your listing looks pretty great! One of my favorite parts is not only that the pictures are amazing, but your title is as well. You use all the space necessary to let people know what's available and what you're close to. It's not simply "Beautiful Place with a Pool" but so much more than that. So kudos on a successful listing!


     Thanks Andrew!

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    It's a tiny thing but I've never seen it anywhere and I would really appreciate that basket with the hair ties. I'm always looking for a hair tie.
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Question: you are charging only $1037 per night....is that high enough? The way this place looks, I wonder if you could get more?

  • WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    if you do end up going for more pro pics, think about adding some drone ones as well. looks like you have enough of beautiful views around to justify that.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:

    Ok all you STR pros, get out your red pens, I need some feedback!

    A couple months ago I purchased my first STR. The house is in Canyon Lake, which is a beautiful lake known as the Jewel of Hill Country. The market we are going after are groups, families, and girls trips looking for a luxury experience at a large private property with a pool, hot tub, game room, etc... that is close to the lake. Link below:

    https://www.vrbo.com/2783992?u...

    Thank you!


     I really like it. I love the extra amenities in the bathroom. I also like that you have a picture of the blender and other utilities, whenever I am staying somewhere that is a question we always ask if they have it. The only thing that maybe could be improved is the back garage looked green on the doors. Maybe take a power washer to it. Also for the guest make sure the plants are looking good. I have been to places and all the plants in the containers are dead. It would be better not to have them if someone is not watering them. 

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Question: you are charging only $1037 per night....is that high enough? The way this place looks, I wonder if you could get more?

    This is a great question. We recently went up to $1696 for weekends and $996 for weekdays. Our approach has been to constantly make iterative changes and gradually increase the rate. That being said, bookings slowed a bit when we made this recent raise in price. Now, I don’t know if that’s because we booked out through July and people aren’t booking into August right now, or maybe those high of rates just aren’t doable in the area. I’d love to know what you and others are seeing for similar markets. 
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Question: you are charging only $1037 per night....is that high enough? The way this place looks, I wonder if you could get more?

    That being said, bookings slowed a bit when we made this recent raise in price. Now, I don’t know if that’s because we booked out through July and people aren’t booking into August right now, or maybe those high of rates just aren’t doable in the area. 

    It could also be due to the inflation/recession we are going through..... We have seen a little bit of dropoff, but not that much. I think it is due to the financial uncertainty.....


  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Question: you are charging only $1037 per night....is that high enough? The way this place looks, I wonder if you could get more?

    That being said, bookings slowed a bit when we made this recent raise in price. Now, I don’t know if that’s because we booked out through July and people aren’t booking into August right now, or maybe those high of rates just aren’t doable in the area. 

    It could also be due to the inflation/recession we are going through..... We have seen a little bit of dropoff, but not that much. I think it is due to the financial uncertainty.....



     Have you dropped rates at all, or held firm?

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Sparks Your listing looks amazing and it's obvious you have put lots of hard work into it. To provide a few very minor comments I noticed:

    -The bathroom counter looks a little cluttered with soaps, towels, and supplies.

    -The primary shower has a rain head which is a very premium amenity, I almost missed it since the photo is almost cutoff. 

    -The primary shower also has a lot of soaps out, seems like only one of each would be needed.

    -The treat yo self sign looks a little out of place considering how luxurious the kitchen and space are.

    -I also agree with the others that have commented on needing professional photography, you also could benefit from a drone shot showing how close you are to the lake and giving better perspective. 

    -Your first 5 photos are all of the pool, from the first page when viewing the listing it would be nice to include a photo of the house or the view, I like photos 9 and 46.

    Overall, well done! Very nice property!

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cameron Kotara:

    @Jonathan Sparks Your listing looks amazing and it's obvious you have put lots of hard work into it. To provide a few very minor comments I noticed:

    -The bathroom counter looks a little cluttered with soaps, towels, and supplies.

    -The primary shower has a rain head which is a very premium amenity, I almost missed it since the photo is almost cutoff. 

    -The primary shower also has a lot of soaps out, seems like only one of each would be needed.

    -The treat yo self sign looks a little out of place considering how luxurious the kitchen and space are.

    -I also agree with the others that have commented on needing professional photography, you also could benefit from a drone shot showing how close you are to the lake and giving better perspective. 

    -Your first 5 photos are all of the pool, from the first page when viewing the listing it would be nice to include a photo of the house or the view, I like photos 9 and 46.

    Overall, well done! Very nice property!


     This is great feedback. Thank you. Regarding the counter clutter, we are trying to show that we 1) have great amenities in the bathroom for guests and 2) have enough things like soaps to accommodate a full occupancy of 14. Any ideas on how to do that without cluttering up the counters. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Sparks:
    Maybe just say it in the description.....?
  • Plantation, FL · Member since 2009 · 329 posts · 119 votes
    4y

    I would remove the carpet in the bedrooms and replace with LVP. Guests oftentimes have allergy issues with carpet and it looks dated.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.