I am looking into acquiring a home with enough yard space to put a prefab guest house on that I could rent on AirBNB.
What do I need to know to start planning and budgeting this?
- Checking with planning and zoning.
- What needs to be done for foundation for these things?
- Do these things get shipped across country or do you find one locally?
- What needs to be done for utilities? I'd some electrical upgrades probably need to happen on the property. Possible upgraded septic if no city septic.
I am looking into acquiring a home with enough yard space to put a prefab guest house on that I could rent on AirBNB.
What do I need to know to start planning and budgeting this?
- Checking with planning and zoning.
- What needs to be done for foundation for these things?
- Do these things get shipped across country or do you find one locally?
- What needs to be done for utilities? I'd some electrical upgrades probably need to happen on the property. Possible upgraded septic if no city septic.
Foundation type will be determined by soils engineer, which would also inform the type of septic system. Electrical upgrades depend on specified appliances and would recommend you review the main home too since you are most likely connecting to it.
find a local prefab company. Shipping costs escalate if the delivery is far.Prefab companies usually provide insight to it.
Def check with planning and zoning mainly to confirm siting and parking requirements.
What city is the project located in? Some lots might be subject to additional review if it’s near wetlands or protected lands.
Finally, check lender terms for a prefab home product. Funds are distributed differently than a tradition construction loan for stick built.
Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2021 · 19 posts · 10 votes
4y
Call to your local building department office and they can help you with specific regs for size based on what your parcel is zoned for.
Some prefabs will GC your full project, others will make you hire out. The great news is that prefab covers the majority of costs so you'll only need to source connections for electricity, sewer, and water. I always suggest getting a survey done, and if you have past soil sample reports even better. Based on the survey topography then you can decide to do a concrete pad or posts and that will impact your infrastructure connections.
Lastly, if you can't connect to sewer you may have limitations to two septic systems based on the size of your parcel. Usually septic fall under the health department for your city/county/state. Definitely get that information upfront before you embark on your project.
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y
Long before you start looking at a specific property, you should have a 'proposed' set of plans from a company that you might be buying from. Take these to the city and make sure they're ok with this plan. If so, give the plans to a GC and get him to bid them out for you. Can you get a decent ROI based on what you now know?
I am looking into acquiring a home with enough yard space to put a prefab guest house on that I could rent on AirBNB.
What do I need to know to start planning and budgeting this?
- Checking with planning and zoning.
- What needs to be done for foundation for these things?
- Do these things get shipped across country or do you find one locally?
- What needs to be done for utilities? I'd some electrical upgrades probably need to happen on the property. Possible upgraded septic if no city septic.
Foundation type will be determined by soils engineer, which would also inform the type of septic system. Electrical upgrades depend on specified appliances and would recommend you review the main home too since you are most likely connecting to it.
find a local prefab company. Shipping costs escalate if the delivery is far.Prefab companies usually provide insight to it.
Def check with planning and zoning mainly to confirm siting and parking requirements.
What city is the project located in? Some lots might be subject to additional review if it’s near wetlands or protected lands.
Finally, check lender terms for a prefab home product. Funds are distributed differently than a tradition construction loan for stick built.