New Rental Concept and would like opinions

New Rental Concept and would like opinions

Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes

So we are in closing on a property in Fairview, NC just east of Asheville. I wanted to discuss our ideas for the property as an STR and get some feedback and maybe a few other ideas. I have checked AirDna data and the area does well. There are multiple houses the same size that we comped out.

it’s a new construction, two story 3/2.5.It will be a king bed in the master bedroom, queen in the second bedroom, and two twins in the third bedroom. Not a huge fan of bunk beds and the layout of the house won’t accommodate more than 8 people comfortably. There is also a good sized loft on the second floor that will have a pull out couch. The living room on the lower floor is small so will just have couch and side chair. 
There is a large back and side yard that only has a minor slope to it. So we are adding in a fire pit area, with chairs, hammocks, and string lights. There is a small back deck currently that will have a propane grill, dining table and chairs with some string lights above it as well. We will have corn hole, giant Jenga, horse shoes, for outside. Will also provide football, soccer, volley ball and a baseball and gloves. No bat lol. We want to expand the deck and add a jacuzzi next year. The loft and living room will have tvs with Netflix and Disney+. The loft will have one of those game systems that has 10,000 classic video games from snes to ps1 loaded onto it. There will be a wall of board games and one wall we are wanting to have our instagramable spot. It will be a large mountain mural.  
                                                    
We want to theme it according to the many outdoor activities in our area. So for wall art we found a bunch of artistic photos of everything to do around here, kayaking, white water rafting, camping, hiking, rock climbing, horse back riding, mountain biking, and motorcycle riding. These will be the wall art throughout the house to inspire the tenants to go out and enjoy the local area. For this reason we want to provide some basic gear such as inner tubes, hiking backpacks and trek poles, local hiking guides and town guides for Asheville, Black Mountain, Hendersonville, Lake Lure, Linville, and Chimney rock.
I’m trying to think of some other items we could provide. I don’t want to provided tents because they would need to be washed and bikes and kayaks can be rented. So any other little ideas would be appreciated.

We will have an in-depth guide book for the area as well and are creating an instagram and Facebook for people to tag their photos to be used on social media. 

Any other games or equipment you would recommend. We want it to be family and kid friendly but not specific to families with kids. It needs to appeal to adults and groups as well. So the furniture and will be clean and not childish. But there are plenty of games and things that can be used by all. 


Thank you all for your input. It is greatly appreciated and hopefully we will host you one day. 



3Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA · Member since 2021 · 180 posts · 158 votes
4y


Congrats!

-Get professional photos, you only need a few artistic ones

-triple check you can STR, I see people doing 30 days'+ now because they didn't lock down a permit correctly. Mid term is ok as a backup though not ideal comparatively

-I would not do kayaks or any sporting equipment for liability reasons

- Things of value will break so maybe don't go too big with tech/hiking gear things a kid can break easy (foosball-great!)

-Don't use a bunch of white sheets, duvets, ect. Get grey something forgiving

I keep it simple. Even things like a grille means your housekeeper has to deal with it. Guests do not maintain the home over basic tidiness. You will end up paying extra to housekeeper to clean grille, clean hot tub, put back all the loaner toys. Once you provide an amenity it needs to work for every guest, or you will be refunding people. If one tent pole goes missing and the next guest can't use it, they will complain and you will be dealing with it. If you don't offer it, it can't break. 

I've been running out of state STR's for years and have learned the key is simplicity. If you are in a good location and the space is clean and fresh you should have no issues and no need to go crazy on extras. GOOD LUCK

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Josh - that all sounds great.  I think you have a good plan.  From reading over this, the only thing that sticks out to me is the queen in the second bedroom.  If you can fit a king, you need to put a king in there.  If you can't, then don't worry, but if you can, do it.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    My only thought is to not rely on AirDna and check manually on the various platforms to see if those numbers are real-world or just algorithmic....

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    My only thought is to not rely on AirDna and check manually on the various platforms to see if those numbers are real-world or just algorithmic....

    I did. They are not as good as AirDna but they are still good for my numbers.
  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ken Boone:

    Josh - that all sounds great.  I think you have a good plan.  From reading over this, the only thing that sticks out to me is the queen in the second bedroom.  If you can fit a king, you need to put a king in there.  If you can't, then don't worry, but if you can, do it.


    I think I can fit a king in there. Thank you. 

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Sounds good to me. Just be careful that area tends to be anti short term.

    I wouldn’t go too nuts with the theming. It can get expensive. It’s very common in Disney market. 

    Most important is cute and clean! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Sounds good to me. Just be careful that area tends to be anti short term.

    I wouldn’t go too nuts with the theming. It can get expensive. It’s very common in Disney market. 

    Most important is cute and clean! 

    Yea Asheville is not great but the County has no restrictions other than noise ordinances after 11pm. And from what I saw NC just passed two bills that keep cities and municipalities from limiting the use of a property as an STR. They can require a license and extra tax but can place a minimum stay. So hopefully it will get a little better around here. 

    My parents bought this one as a second home to stay when they visit but will use as an STR 95% of the year
  • New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Josh Myrick:
    Quote from @Luke Carl:

    Sounds good to me. Just be careful that area tends to be anti short term.

    I wouldn’t go too nuts with the theming. It can get expensive. It’s very common in Disney market. 

    Most important is cute and clean! 

    Yea Asheville is not great but the County has no restrictions other than noise ordinances after 11pm. And from what I saw NC just passed two bills that keep cities and municipalities from limiting the use of a property as an STR. They can require a license and extra tax but can place a minimum stay. So hopefully it will get a little better around here. 

    My parents bought this one as a second home to stay when they visit but will use as an STR 95% of the year

     When did the City of Asheville make this change? Are you able to point me to information about this, by chance? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y

    So the City has not made any change and is still restricting vacation rentals to a minimum of 30 days. But the State made the laws months ago. Asheville likes to get sued so it will probably take them enforcing their 30 day restriction and someone suing them over it for them to change it. I read a local newspaper where the City Attorney had mentioned the new laws yet they have not changed their policy yet. I’ll try and find them again and post them.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dorothy Bland:

     Looks like they said the State passed the new law, not the City, and the County has no restrictions

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y

    HB 829 and HB 911. It added some limitations on requiring a license and special inspection to operate a short term but it looks like they removed the part about a minimum stay requirement. So that part is still allowed. But it is progress. Sorry about the incorrect information. I read an older version I guess. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles CA + Lake Tahoe, NV and CA · Member since 2021 · 180 posts · 158 votes
    4y


    Congrats!

    -Get professional photos, you only need a few artistic ones

    -triple check you can STR, I see people doing 30 days'+ now because they didn't lock down a permit correctly. Mid term is ok as a backup though not ideal comparatively

    -I would not do kayaks or any sporting equipment for liability reasons

    - Things of value will break so maybe don't go too big with tech/hiking gear things a kid can break easy (foosball-great!)

    -Don't use a bunch of white sheets, duvets, ect. Get grey something forgiving

    I keep it simple. Even things like a grille means your housekeeper has to deal with it. Guests do not maintain the home over basic tidiness. You will end up paying extra to housekeeper to clean grille, clean hot tub, put back all the loaner toys. Once you provide an amenity it needs to work for every guest, or you will be refunding people. If one tent pole goes missing and the next guest can't use it, they will complain and you will be dealing with it. If you don't offer it, it can't break. 

    I've been running out of state STR's for years and have learned the key is simplicity. If you are in a good location and the space is clean and fresh you should have no issues and no need to go crazy on extras. GOOD LUCK

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    In your listing, if you can, add 3D matterport view, it really helps for potential renter to visualize the actual house, not just photo.

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Zambricki Li:


    Congrats!

    -Get professional photos, you only need a few artistic ones

    -triple check you can STR, I see people doing 30 days'+ now because they didn't lock down a permit correctly. Mid term is ok as a backup though not ideal comparatively

    -I would not do kayaks or any sporting equipment for liability reasons

    - Things of value will break so maybe don't go too big with tech/hiking gear things a kid can break easy (foosball-great!)

    -Don't use a bunch of white sheets, duvets, ect. Get grey something forgiving

    I keep it simple. Even things like a grille means your housekeeper has to deal with it. Guests do not maintain the home over basic tidiness. You will end up paying extra to housekeeper to clean grille, clean hot tub, put back all the loaner toys. Once you provide an amenity it needs to work for every guest, or you will be refunding people. If one tent pole goes missing and the next guest can't use it, they will complain and you will be dealing with it. If you don't offer it, it can't break. 

    I've been running out of state STR's for years and have learned the key is simplicity. If you are in a good location and the space is clean and fresh you should have no issues and no need to go crazy on extras. GOOD LUCK


     That makes a lot of sense. I’m trying to find gear rental stores in the area which I know there is. This way I don’t have to provide these little things. Great input. Thank You.

  • New to Real Estate · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Josh Myrick:

    HB 829 and HB 911. It added some limitations on requiring a license and special inspection to operate a short term but it looks like they removed the part about a minimum stay requirement. So that part is still allowed. But it is progress. Sorry about the incorrect information. I read an older version I guess. 


     all this means good things for you in Fairview though. Lovely part of town! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

    In your listing, if you can, add 3D matterport view, it really helps for potential renter to visualize the actual house, not just photo.

    It will be through Airbnb and Vrbo so not sure. Never worked with that. 
  • Lender · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 463 posts · 507 votes
    4y

    Hi @Josh Myrick. I'm preparing an STR for market in Bryson City right now. I like the outdoors theming myself. I'm not comfortable providing any equipment to use for sport though. Instead I will provide things that help someone maintain equipment. Such as a locking shed for bikes and boats, a hanging rack for people to clean bikes with, etc. I'm thinking on theming for the walls too. There are perhaps a dozen or so outdoor activities to focus on though, so I'm inclined to be a little more general. For example, images of trails appeals to hikers and bikers. Images of rivers and lakes appeals to kayakers, paddle boarders, etc. For these type of items, I've found Etsy to be a great, cheap source. On another note, several of my lending clients and friends have STR's in Fairview. They all do very well.

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    Hello All @Josh Myrick. @Dorothy Bland  Josh, I think you have a few misconceptions about STRs in Asheville that I'd like to clear up.  First, Fairview is not a part of Asheville, so there are no restrictions unless you're coming up against neighborhood restrictions.  Second, Asheville allows Short Term Rentals (less than 30 days) with a permit.  Now Asheville has passed full kitchens inside the city.  If you'd like to know whether a home sits inside the city limits and you must get a permit for it, check out the map link below.  Also, I've written and keep updating an article on my website. It even talks about restrictions in nearby Woodfin.:https://www.divitiarealty.com/... 

    MAP of city limits AVL:

    https://data-avl.opendata.arcg...

    Please feel free to reach out with any other questions! - Jennifer

  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    VRBO and Airbnb work well together!  They even sync their calendars!  If you're inside the city limits of AVL, both Airbnb and VRBO will pay your taxes for you. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jennifer Goodier:

    Hello All @Josh Myrick. @Dorothy Bland  Josh, I think you have a few misconceptions about STRs in Asheville that I'd like to clear up.  First, Fairview is not a part of Asheville, so there are no restrictions unless you're coming up against neighborhood restrictions.  Second, Asheville allows Short Term Rentals (less than 30 days) with a permit.  Now Asheville has passed full kitchens inside the city.  If you'd like to know whether a home sits inside the city limits and you must get a permit for it, check out the map link below.  Also, I've written and keep updating an article on my website. It even talks about restrictions in nearby Woodfin.:https://www.divitiarealty.com/... 

    MAP of city limits AVL:

    https://data-avl.opendata.arcg...

    Please feel free to reach out with any other questions! - Jennifer


    Thank you for this Jennifer. I picked Fairview because it is outside the Asheville limits. I have a LTR within the city that I want to turn into a STR. That must have been what I was thinking g about. Asheville requiring a permit for less then 30 days. I used to work for the police department there and they required a permit but never gave any. But the new house bill mentioned above limits their ability to require a permit.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    You've got some good ideas. You won't have any trouble renting around here, that's for sure. Skip the baseball gloves and ball. Errant baseballs can break windows and cause concussions and baseball gloves will get sweaty and full of bacteria. Anyone who's into throwing a baseball already has their own glove and ball. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    You've got some good ideas. You won't have any trouble renting around here, that's for sure. Skip the baseball gloves and ball. Errant baseballs can break windows and cause concussions and baseball gloves will get sweaty and full of bacteria. Anyone who's into throwing a baseball already has their own glove and ball. 

    Great point. Thank you.
  • Real Estate Broker · Member since 2021 · 27 posts · 17 votes
    4y

    @Josh Myrick Hey Josh!  Super cool that you have an LTR too.  I heard about that bill a long time ago.  I can't remember much from 8th grade Civics, but isn't it micro to macro when it comes to laws?  In other words, a state can have a law but a city or municipality can override that?

    As in this article on the subject: https://canons.sog.unc.edu/202...

    "but notably the court allowed the other provisions of the Wilmington ordinance to stand", and "The court identified the following ordinance provisions as preserved (not preempted): Restricting whole-house lodging to certain zoning districts; parking requirements (one off-street space per bedroom); prohibition on variances; operation limits and requirements (no large events, maintain insurance, manage trash, no food prep in bedrooms); posted safety information; and other use and safety requirements not preempted."


  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y

    Not sure about that case. But when I was in law enforcement federal law was the minimum standard, then state and local law could be more strict as long as it was in line with federal law. 

    Since these bills completely restrict states and municipalities from “G.S. 160D-1207(c) limits the authority of local governments to regulate residential real property rentals. Local governments are prohibited from adopting ordinances under Article 11 (building code) or Article 12 (minimum housing code) requiring owners of rental property to obtain permits to rent residential real property.
    BILL ANALYSIS: House Bill 829 would prohibit a local government from adopting or enforcing an ordinance requiring a permit or registration system to lease or rent residential real property and would provide that this prohibition is not limited to ordinances adopted under Article 11 (building code enforcement) or Article 12 (minimum housing code enforcement) of Chapter 160D of the General Statutes.”

    So they should not be able to do anything that is restricted by the state. 

    I would use an example of panhandling laws. Federal law does not criminalize panhandling or begging. But states can be more restrictive. So Asheville has made panhandling illegal. 

    Yet if federal law said panhandling was illegal a state could make stricter enforcement penalties but a minimum would have to criminalize panhandling. 

    Again this is criminal law based so not sure if there is a difference. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Asheville, NC · Member since 2020 · 118 posts · 69 votes
    4y

    So I could see this making it illegal for Asheville to require permits. But not illegal to make strict STR zoning or other forms of STR restrictions.

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 51 votes
    4y
    Having been thru a couple of suits, I have learned that I should not provide extra things people can hurt themselves with.     The more extras, the more chance of litigation. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.