Looking at short term rentals outside Yosemite. Anyone familiar?

Looking at short term rentals outside Yosemite. Anyone familiar?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 3 votes

Hello All,

I've been thinking about investing in a short term rental. Some place that I can reasonably visit myself if need be on a weekend. I live in the Bay Area and have been focusing on regions outside Yosemite national park to do my research. Mariposa and Oakhurst areas specifically seem like they could be promising if the right deal is found.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with short term rentals in this area. If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what you like/dislike about the area.

I'd also like to know if you have any agents you've worked with that I could reach out to. I'd love to get a referral that you trust.

Looking forward to hearing your stories!

0Reply
330 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 14 votes
4y

I have a property halfway between Mariposa and Oakhurst that I'll be posting to Airbnb soon. DM me - Happy to share learnings so far and give you an agent referral.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 14 votes
    4y

    I have a property halfway between Mariposa and Oakhurst that I'll be posting to Airbnb soon. DM me - Happy to share learnings so far and give you an agent referral.

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer

  • Yucaipa, CA · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Jennifer Cooper hi Jennifer, I’m looking to possibly invest in oakhurst. I was hoping to get a little insight if you don’t mind?

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hi Jennifer. The listing looks awesome and thanks for sharing. Can I send you a PM for a possible agent referral? 

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joe DeSimpliciis:

    Hello All,

    I've been thinking about investing in a short term rental. Some place that I can reasonably visit myself if need be on a weekend. I live in the Bay Area and have been focusing on regions outside Yosemite national park to do my research. Mariposa and Oakhurst areas specifically seem like they could be promising if the right deal is found.

    I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with short term rentals in this area. If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what you like/dislike about the area.

    I'd also like to know if you have any agents you've worked with that I could reach out to. I'd love to get a referral that you trust.

    Looking forward to hearing your stories!


    Hi, I am looking to invest in STR in Mariposa and wanted to see if anyone has any insight into the occupancy. Also real estate prices have gone up and looks like slight correction in this market but prices are still high. Any insight into this market and price to STR ratio will be helpful.

    Thanks!

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hey Jennifer, hows the seasonality?

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Griffin D.:

    I have a property halfway between Mariposa and Oakhurst that I'll be posting to Airbnb soon. DM me - Happy to share learnings so far and give you an agent referral.


     can you send that agent's info? any insights into seasonailty ?

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hey Jennifer, hows the seasonality?

    There is definitely a peak season, the end of May through Labor Day. In the slower months I have struggled.
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hey Jennifer, hows the seasonality?

    There is definitely a peak season, the end of May through Labor Day. In the slower months I have struggled.

     I would definitely make sure you are running a pro forma to make sure your numbers are what you need them to be. 

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hey Jennifer, hows the seasonality?

    There is definitely a peak season, the end of May through Labor Day. In the slower months I have struggled.

     What would you say your occupancy is during winter months? From my experience oakhusr is more reachable in winter months than other places

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 15 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:
    Quote from @Shehryar Iqbal:
    Quote from @Jennifer Cooper:

    Hi,

    We are closing on our second short term rental in Oakhurst this month. Personally I really enjoy the area which is why I chose to invest there. Heres my listing: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    Happy to share our experience with you.

    -Jennifer


     Hey Jennifer, hows the seasonality?

    There is definitely a peak season, the end of May through Labor Day. In the slower months I have struggled.

     What would you say your occupancy is during winter months? From my experience oakhusr is more reachable in winter months than other places

    I have been in operation for a little over two years my first slow season was awful, I can’t really give you an accurate number but somewhere around 25-30%. My second slow season I decided not to rent it out because the propane bill to heat the home wasn’t worth the hassle, this last slow season was record snow and many homes lost power and heat for several days, it was categorized as a natural disaster. I’m hopeful going into this slow season  because I have traction and great SEO optimization but can’t give any sort of projection at the moment. 

    A pro forma is vitally important, to make sure your projected returns match your budget.  When looking into this area as a whole it’s definitely not considered an A rated market when considering returns. 
  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    That's good feedback Jennifer. Are there other STR markets you're looking into or even other counties nearby?

    I've been on the hunt for a California STR property and Oakhurst seems to be one of the few that are in favor of STRs. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    @Joe DeSimpliciis Did you and up buying a property in that area? if so, how is the performance and occupancy rate? TY

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2020 · 78 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    @Jennifer Cooper 
    I have been researching short-term rental (STR) investment properties in Oakhurst and Groveland, as both are near entrances to Yosemite National Park. I am trying to determine whether these cities are good markets to invest in. When reviewing Airbnb listings and their calendars, I noticed that around 95% of them have no bookings for the next 2 to 3 months. I would appreciate it if you could share your experience.

  • Farzana HossainPro Member
    Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    1mo

    Hi everyone,

    I’m an active short-term rental owner in Oakhurst (Yosemite gateway) and a licensed California Realtor. Because I self-manage and operate in this space directly, my approach to analyzing STRs centers on real-world operational viability, market regulations, and genuine cash-flow potential, not just optimistic revenue projections.

    If you’re looking to acquire or underwrite a short-term rental in California and want an operator’s perspective on the numbers, feel free to shoot me a DM. Always happy to connect and talk shop!

    Best,

    Farzana Hossain

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.