Smoky mountain cabin - cut the trees or not

Smoky mountain cabin - cut the trees or not

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes

Hello,

I’m currently building a cabin In Gatlinburg TN and I have a question regarding some trees that I’m debating cutting.  I’m blessed to have a 10 out of 10 view of the state park but if I cut a few more trees I can also have a view of the golf course below my cabin. Right now the view of the mountains would be slightly improved by cutting the trees, but possibly opening up the view to the golf course may or may not be the best option as some renters may prefer a view devoid of a golf course.  My thinking is the golf course may be a nice touch but there again maybe it would be a distraction to the natural beauty of the state park.  The reason I ask is I have about a 3 days and the excavation guys will be gone.  Your thoughts?  

0Reply
49 views

Most Popular Reply

Joe SplitrockPro Member
Moderator
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y

@Kyle Smith as a traveler to the Smokies who has stayed at cabins and gone golfing there, I wouldn't want to look at a golf course and on the golf course I wouldn't want a better view of your cabin. Trees take 20+ years to get to the size you are talking about, so they are an asset to that property. If they were blocking the mountain view, I could see trimming them to open that up, but not the golf course. 

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Flowery Branch, GA · Member since 2019 · 413 posts · 412 votes
    4y

    I take it this is Bent Creek. I wouldn’t bother. It’s not going to add value unless there were a lot of golfers coming to the area and looking for that feature. Any golfers are probably staying closer to Sevierville Golf Club. It’s a much nicer club.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Kyle, first of all congratulations for building a cabin in Gatlinburg with great views.  Great views are an amenity that is not easily duplicated, and will help bolster the value of your investment through good times and bad.

    Whether or not to cut down the trees for added views of the golf course...opinions on this will vary, but I would just trust your own instinct on this, as you are the one on the ground there.  I think a view of the golf course would be splendid, provided that it didn't deter too much from privacy.  If it is below your property, I don't know that privacy is compromised.  

    Post photos when you can, and good luck with the construction!

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Smith:

    Hello,

    I’m currently building a cabin In Gatlinburg TN and I have a question regarding some trees that I’m debating cutting.  I’m blessed to have a 10 out of 10 view of the state park but if I cut a few more trees I can also have a view of the golf course below my cabin. Right now the view of the mountains would be slightly improved by cutting the trees, but possibly opening up the view to the golf course may or may not be the best option as some renters may prefer a view devoid of a golf course.  My thinking is the golf course may be a nice touch but there again maybe it would be a distraction to the natural beauty of the state park.  The reason I ask is I have about a 3 days and the excavation guys will be gone.  Your thoughts?  

    In some places you have to get approval to cut trees (they hold the earth together and also help slow down high winds). So, I'd check with the building department nd if the trees are not on your property then with anybody who owns adjoing property. That being said, people pay for views when they can find them. 

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Cut them.  You can always plant more if you don’t like it ;)

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Other things to consider: do the trees impact the natural light on your property, offer shade, a wind barrier, greenery, birds...   Can you thin the branches or raise the canopy to offer a nuanced view?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I would try to appeal to the broadest group of people.  Some people like golf but pretty much everyone likes privacy.  

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Kyle Smith it doesn't add $$ to the rental, it costs $$, and you have a view already. I would Leave it be.  plus i think it is probably bigger trees s it would take a while to grow back.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    All great comments. Thank you. Yes, I am in Cobbly Nob. I know Bent Creek is not near as popular but going into this I was thinking if I could open up the view to it would be a plus. However, now that I have a great view of the park I’m debating it.  I have a 1 acre lot and own all of the trees in question so privacy isn’t an issue.
    Colleen is correct that it will not add any additional income and the view is already excellent.  Will have to ponder on this further. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Kyle Smith as a traveler to the Smokies who has stayed at cabins and gone golfing there, I wouldn't want to look at a golf course and on the golf course I wouldn't want a better view of your cabin. Trees take 20+ years to get to the size you are talking about, so they are an asset to that property. If they were blocking the mountain view, I could see trimming them to open that up, but not the golf course. 

  • Real Estate Agent · San DIego · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    Leave them, your view is framed beautifully now.  You have shade and privacy.   Who doesn't love a little cabin in the woods?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Kyle,

    Maybe take a ride up there with a landscape Architect.

    Getting a professional view point on it might give you some good ideas of which to remove and which to keep.

    It seems to me your product will be more wilderness-y if the golf course is blocked from view.

    More cabin in woods, vs a cabin on the 14th hole.

    But you should point out to renters the golf course is there in case they want to shoot rifles. 

    I'm sure Ole' Doc Sawbones isn't expecting to treat a golfer with a 30.06 round in his shoulder when old Jed goes out shooting for some food.

    Just my 2 cents.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2020 · 210 posts · 302 votes
    4y

    Make sure to check Cobbly Knob restrictive covenants because there’s a section about replanting with certain types of trees if you plan to cut for improved views. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    One other point. If you rent the cabin to an avid golfer, they will be ON the course, not sitting on the deck looking at it...
  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Thought about this some more.  FYI: I'm a designer, turned successful investor because I incorporate design principles into the problem solving process and create spaces that are very appealing to renters.  Design principle from a master gardener: Create an element of surprise in your landscaping design.  Your application:  Leave the trees but create a sort of simple path leading to them.  Your renters will be drawn to the trees and then discover sweeping views of the golf course.   This could be an interesting experience for them to share and enjoy.        AKA: Why put it all out there at first glance?  

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    Such great points everyone.  Marie great point. I do plan on having a walking trail and that’s a great idea. Thanks.  Yes, I am fully aware that COPNA is very strict with their guidance of tree cutting.   I feel I have done a good job in that regard. 

    Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. I’m glad I ran this by you guys. I’m planning on leaving them to maintain the focus on the mountains vs the golf course.  Thanks again.  

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @C. Marie Russo:

    Thought about this some more.  FYI: I'm a designer, turned successful investor because I incorporate design principles into the problem solving process and create spaces that are very appealing to renters.  Design principle from a master gardener: Create an element of surprise in your landscaping design.  Your application:  Leave the trees but create a sort of simple path leading to them.  Your renters will be drawn to the trees and then discover sweeping views of the golf course.   This could be an interesting experience for them to share and enjoy.        AKA: Why put it all out there at first glance?  

    Love this idea!!

  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Smith:

    Such great points everyone.  Marie great point. I do plan on having a walking trail and that’s a great idea. Thanks.  Yes, I am fully aware that COPNA is very strict with their guidance of tree cutting.   I feel I have done a good job in that regard. 

    Anyway, thanks everyone for the input. I’m glad I ran this by you guys. I’m planning on leaving them to maintain the focus on the mountains vs the golf course.  Thanks again.  

    I concur, I like the idea of keeping them In this scenario.

    Off topic - do you happen to have a soil scientist that you know of? I can’t find anyone to map a piece of land.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Phoenix Arizona · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    4y

    My father took a lot next to a forest instead of the real estate fee.  We built a 3500 sq foot summer home in Alpine Junction Wyo. about 35 miles from Jackson Hole.  It bordered the national forest and about 10 pine trees 40-50 feet high.  Even though it is much different set up as yours we decided to keep the trees and in 40 years have no regrets at this time.  But....

    If a fire comes through that area those trees are the means to take out our summer home.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    Sorry, I do not. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toms River, NJ · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Hi Kyle!!

    You are my neighbor!  I live on the lower section of the hill.  I have a genuinely nice view of the mountains and can see the golf course.  No one cares about the golf course.... just the smoky mountain view.  Mostly, when we visit, we just comment on people playing golf in the winter and how cold it looks ;)

    Jane
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 220 posts · 107 votes
    4y

    That’s awesome Jane!  Great to hear from someone in the neighborhood!  Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.