East Bay Meetup - Wed 2/19/14 in Oakland

East Bay Meetup - Wed 2/19/14 in Oakland

This event is brought to you by:SF Bay Summit

When:

Where:911 Washington St, Oakland, CA 94607

Cost:Free

Disclaimer: BiggerPockets does not support or sponsor any meetups unless otherwise noted. Do your due diligence before attending any events. You may be agreeing to attend an event that includes promotion, pitching, or high-pressure sales tactics or techniques. Poster certifies that there will be no pitching of products or services at this event.

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

It's time for the next monthly meetup in the East Bay! Come one, come all! Join us to meet with some great people, talk about all aspects of real estate investing, and make some local connections in the Bay. For those who are coming, please introduce yourself on the forum by copy and pasting the questions I filled out in the post below, then replace my answers with yours. This way, everyone has an idea of who we are and who they'd like to target when we meet up. See you there!


What: East Bay Meetup - Feb Edition

When: Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 - 6:30PM to 10ish+

Where: Rosamunde Sausage Grill (& Bar)
Swans Market Place, 911 Washington St, Oakland, CA 94607
http://www.yelp.com/biz/rosamunde-sausage-grill-oakland?nb=1

Get There: Take BART to 12th St/Civic Center Oakland Station & walk down Broadway to decreasing-numbered streets. Make a right on 9th St and walk to the first corner, at 911 Washington St. It is about a 5min walk, the same location as the last BP meetup (there will be some improvements this time.)

Parking at 459 8th St, or other garages nearby at the link below. Or street parking. (as a general prudent practice in the Bay, do not leave valuables visible in your car)
http://oaklandparking.spplus.com/Oakland-459-8th-Street-Parking.html

This is the third East Bay Meetup I've organized, and we've had 25+ people each time, with great conversations/connections/tips and people. Everyone is welcome. There is no cost, except whatever you would like to spend on beer or food. BP officially has no hand in organizing this event, except for providing the forum for us to get together on - but please do not post blatant advertisements/solicitations on this forum to avoid the mod backlash. Hope to see you there!

- J Martin

Like last time, I'm going to post some keywords to alert those in the area who might be interested.. (I added a few this time..)

East Bay , East Bay Meetup , Bay Area , Meetup , Meet up , Meet-up , San Francisco , Oakland , Berkeley , Alameda County , Contra Costa County , Solano County , Richmond , Hercules , Concord , Albany , Pittsburgh , Marin San Rafael , South Bay , Peninsula , Walnut Creek , Pittsburgh , Antioch , Pleasanton , Fremont , Castro Valley

3Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 44 votes
12y

@J. Martin Hey man thanks for doing it again I definitely plan to be there. I've met a couple of season local investors that I will invite.

In State / Out of State?

In State investing. I'm a newbie at attempting wholesaling so I want to start local first. Solano, Contra Costa and Alameda county initially.

Strategy?
Wholesaling! Although I did a few flips back in 2005 and 2006, I'm looking to built back up to that.

Type of properties?
SFR units and commercial.

Looking for?
Cash buyers - private money lenders and partnering. Since I'm new to Wholesaling with no cash I'm open to learning and partnering with a season investor that will fund the deals I originate for equal split.

Can offer / knowledgeable about?
I have been brokering mortgage loans for about 28 years and with my current company for 26 years. I'm experience in residential mortgage lending with a Real Estate license since 1989. As a self employed entrepreneur, sales and marketing in the real estate industry has been my life. I've got a little experience to share and bring to the table.

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Please copy and paste the questions below into a new post and type your responses over mine if you are coming!

    In State / Out of State?
    Investing in-state now. Driveable distances to Bay. Will be considering out of state investments in the future, and interested in hearing more, and talking numbers, thoughts, etc..

    Strategy?
    'Fix' and hold. Buy 'em cheap and beat up. Then make them pretty, and rent at top of market to better than average tenants - so far in lower-income neighborhoods (relative to the Bay)

    Type of properties?
    Prefer 2-4 units, or multiple SFH's on one lot. WIll also consider SFH alone.. Will look at MF and other commercial after tapped out on 30yr financing.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers to bring off-market properties in the Bay Area w/ <8GRM or significant turnaround/rehab needed. Potential equity investors to invest side-by-side with my equity on deals I am looking at. I do not have any money to lend for other's deals right now, but would potentially be interested in being an equity partner on someone else's deal in the Bay Area, investing side-by-side equity with a colleague.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Advice: General real estate, landlording, SF/Oakland rent control, FHA loan info, general loan info, Multifamily, financial analysis, prospecting spreadsheet (CF estimates), economic analysis, references for handyman, loans, insurance, inspectors, etc in the Bay.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 32 votes
    12y

    In State / Out of State?

    In state, looking to go into Florida.

    Strategy?
    Fix/flip/build. Will do land development + new construction as well. Usually buying at 77.5% of ARV minus repairs.

    Type of properties?
    Any kind of residential and land.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers. Always looking to connect with other active investors.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Rehab/distressed market in Santa Clara/San Mateo/Alameda Counties.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hercules, CA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 18 votes
    12y

    IN! - Can't wait to see everyone again!

  • Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin Hey man thanks for doing it again I definitely plan to be there. I've met a couple of season local investors that I will invite.

    In State / Out of State?

    In State investing. I'm a newbie at attempting wholesaling so I want to start local first. Solano, Contra Costa and Alameda county initially.

    Strategy?
    Wholesaling! Although I did a few flips back in 2005 and 2006, I'm looking to built back up to that.

    Type of properties?
    SFR units and commercial.

    Looking for?
    Cash buyers - private money lenders and partnering. Since I'm new to Wholesaling with no cash I'm open to learning and partnering with a season investor that will fund the deals I originate for equal split.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    I have been brokering mortgage loans for about 28 years and with my current company for 26 years. I'm experience in residential mortgage lending with a Real Estate license since 1989. As a self employed entrepreneur, sales and marketing in the real estate industry has been my life. I've got a little experience to share and bring to the table.

  • Realtor · McLean, VA · Member since 2009 · 184 posts · 80 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Lee I'm also looking at properties in FL, Jacksonville especially. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the meetup!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I'll try to come out. Click my name to see my profile for my info. Thx.

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2008 · 83 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    looking forward to meeting everyone.

    In State / Out of State?

    i own multi-family in the ebay and oahu hi. also invested in single and multi-tennant retail in ca and land in wisconsin.

    Strategy?
    buy and hold commercial multifamily in non rent control EB cites.

    Type of properties?
    prefer smaller MF 8-20 units.

    Looking for?
    off market value add commercial properties.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    knowledgable on all aspects of multifamily commercial properties (purchase, manage, disposition, etc.) i have a strong financial analysis background.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks for everyone who posted so far, and looking forward to seeing everyone there. There are a few other people who may want a head's up, so I'm going to do some tagging..

    First of all, I'm hoping @Account Closed would be able to make it to one of these meetups if he's in town..

    and...

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Kyle Zaylor , @Erin A. , @Daniel S. , @Charles Ma,

    and any other friends/investors you would like to bring.

    Looking forward to it!
    I'll also be scheduling a meetup in Santa Rosa in the next few weeks since I'm working up there if anyone from up North is interested, but can't make it down to Oakland..

  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2012 · 55 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    Thanks for setting this up, @J. Martin . Count me in.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    In State / Out of State?

    Investing in San Jose and immediate adjacent cities now. Might consider investing out of state in the near future.

    Strategy?
    Forced appreciation.

    Type of properties?
    8 to 30 units. Will consider 4-7 units if the numbers make sense.

    Looking for?
    Multi-family. No 2.5% - 3% cap rate please. If these kinds of deals have potential, why don't you buy them Mr. and Mrs. Agent? Argh.......

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Don't have much to offer at the moment.

    Knowledgeable about taking my daughter to school, Yogurtland, Q-Cup, Honeyberry, Fantasia, the park, and the lake to watch wild ducks swimming.

    See you guys and gals on the 16th. If anyone from North San Jose, Milpitas, Fremont, Union City wants to carpool, let me know and I will pick you up on the way to Oakland.

  • CA · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    Count me in...

  • Involved In Real Estate · Oakland, CA · Member since 2008 · 141 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    In State / Out of State?

    Not actively investing right now, but managing previous investments & helping local investors find, analyze, & acquire target properties.

    Strategy?
    Personally, my investments are buy/hold, but most of my investor clients are flippers.

    Type of properties?
    Personally, I hold duplex, townhouse, and 4-plex properties. For my local investors, it's usually SFR's.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers to bring off-market properties in the East Bay and investors looking for MLS access & assistance w/ ppty evaluation & acquisition.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Full Realtor services to purchase or sell property; COMPS & CMA's. I am a BHG/MM Top Producer, Top 20 Agent company-wide, Zillow 5-Star Premier Agent, Local Area Specialist .

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Livermore, CA · Member since 2010 · 140 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    I've owned property for the last 9 years in the Los Angeles area. I took the real estate exam February 1, 2014 and I'm ready to invest!

    In State / Out of State?

    In and out of the state as well as out of the country

    Strategy?
    So far buy and hold

    Type of properties?
    SFR, Condos, OYO, Land, Multifamily

    Looking for?
    Investment opportunities, advice on where to hang my license, mortgage advice. Tax strategies.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    So-cal purchases and sales. I self managed my properties while outside the country if that can help anyone.

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    In State / Out of State?

    In state for now.

    Strategy?
    Buying commutable to SF but not in rent control areas.

    Type of properties?
    Prefer 2-4 units or SFH.

    Looking for?
    Wholesalers to bring properties in the Bay Area.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Not much in REI right now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Katy, TX · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    I plan to attend. Look forward to meeting you all.

    In State / Out of State?

    Trust Deed states plus OH.

    Strategy?
    Purchase defaulted notes at discount then apply various exit strategies including loan mod, deed-in-lieu of foreclosure then fix and sell or rent, foreclose then fix and sell or rent. Favorite exit is loan mod as it requires least amount of energy for greatest return.

    Type of properties?
    SFR

    Looking for?
    Defaulted notes in deed of trust (non-judicial) states and OH (judicial).

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    Have a few defaulted notes available for sale. Not an expert yet but I am happy to share what I know about the note investment strategy.

  • Investor · Chicago, MI · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Looks like I have been missing out on some action here. Would love to connect with you all on the 19th. Thanks for setting this up @J. Martin

    In State / Out of State?

    Started with out of state rehabs, but now looking close to home here in bay area

    Strategy?
    Rehab/sell + Rehab/hold

    Type of properties?
    SFR, condo, multifamily

    Looking for?
    off market deals in the bay area as well as ways to make courthouse auctions/tax sales work

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?

    Just about getting started but can chime in on out of state deals, auction.com

  • Specialist · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 817 votes
    12y

    Yah, yah. I'll 90% be there. Maybe. The drive home sucks, and not being able to stay out late having those great 3rd and 4th beer brainstorming sessions is even worse! The best ideas come around then! So I might just get a hotel down the road for the night. (I'm having trouble consolidating the Oakland of today, from the Oakland horrors of my childhood, and saying I'm looking forward to going to Oakland.)

    What am I looking for: WHOLESALERS! Woo Woo!

  • Property Manager · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 16 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by J. Martin:
    @Kyle Zaylor , @Erin A. , @Daniel Shepstone , @Charles Ma,

    and any other friends/investors you would like to bring.

    Looking forward to it!
    I'll also be scheduling a meetup in Santa Rosa in the next few weeks since I'm working up there if anyone from up North is interested, but can't make it down to Oakland..

    J. Martin just saw this post. Count me in for the Santa Rosa meeting! I'm really considering investing out of state and would love to chat with people that have experience in other markets.

  • Marietta, GA · Member since 2013 · 202 posts · 118 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin , You gonna have the food hookup like Stockton?

  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin I plan on making it out there for the first time, so count me in.

    In State / Out of State?

    In state - Bay Area even better.

    Strategy?
    Fix and flips & Wholesaling.

    Type of properties?
    SFHs mainly, but will look at duplexes and 4plexes.

    Looking for?
    Houses to purchase.

    Can offer / knowledgeable about?
    Still looking for that first deal, but I've had quite a bit of experience with different forms of marketing, both direct mail and online. Realtor contacts if needed as well.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Thanks J, Justin and I will be there

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 66 posts · 21 votes
    12y

    @J. Martin - Hey J. Unfortunately I can't make it this month. Wednesdays have become busy for me for the next few months. I hope to make it next month if its not on a Wednesday or Monday. Thanks again for organizing. The event last month was great!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.