Tenant not communicating

Tenant not communicating

New to Real Estate · Spring Hill, TN · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 4 votes

I have a tenan just moved-in for over a month. Her dog kept breaking the wooden fence in the backyard and the neighbors complained to me. So I talked to her and she agreed that she would do something to prevent further damage. I sent her an email officially and asked her to response with a suggestion in one week.

Next day, she sent me an email and said her dog broke another piece again and she decided to get an electric collar to the dog. If it still failed, she would suggest another solution. I said okay and asked her to tell me the status after two weeks.

After over 3 weeks, she didn't send the update. I emailed her to give me the update, no response. Texted her again two days later, no response. 

I checked with the neighbors and he said no fence was broken since.

She has a tendency not to response my email, text and call. Except the time the AC had issue and she responded in one hour! 

In this case, should I continue chasing her for a response so I can close the case? Or let it go because no further damage?

it's getting difficult to deal with her when she ignores my communication. We have a scheduled AC tune-up later this month. I will send her a notice and mention if she doesn't response or not available, I will go open the door for the service. 

If sending all communications to her by mail, would that make a difference?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

Good excuse to use the AC tune-up to inspect the fence and the whole place for that matter...make sure you go in with the AC tech....

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    4y

    Talk to her when you are there.  My guess is she lacks the common courtesy to reply unless she wants something.  You can also post a notice of inspection and go back at the appropriate time (eg 24 hours if that is required for your area) and inspect the fence.

  • Real Estate Broker · Rochester Hills, MI · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Are you charging the tenant for the repairs as she seems to agree it is her negligence causing it?  If not, send a bill and add to her ledger that may get her attention.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    Hi Joey,

    You could staple chicken wire over the broken fence part until you decide to replace the rotten wood.

    Chicken wire is cheap and a good barrier to dogs--in addition to the shock collar.

    It's also quick and easy.

    If a dog is breaking the fence--it might mean it's time to replace it, and possibly the uprights.

    You can have metal chain link fence posts installed for wooden fences if you want, if you can find workers in your area that know how to do it.

    Then the posts will no longer rot.

    Good Luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Good excuse to use the AC tune-up to inspect the fence and the whole place for that matter...make sure you go in with the AC tech....

  • New to Real Estate · Spring Hill, TN · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Thank you for all responses. She (and her ex) actually reached out to the neighbors and fixed the fence. Another issue I have is she has never reported it to me or sent me any pictures, only until the neighbors talked to us. 

    Finally she answered the phone (because used my fiancé phone?), she apologized that she didn't put us in a priority because there was so much going on. We did talk about the communication expectation and she said she would do better. Hope she will keep her words. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    When I sign a new lease, I make it clear (every time) that communication is a two-way street and it's important. I ask them for the best method of communicating (email, text, phone call, letter) and put that in the notes. I expect them to provide a timely response just like they can expect me to provide a timely response.

    When a tenant fails to communicate, like yours is doing right now, then I give them a written warning and remind them of the importance of responsive communication. I don't expect a response in one hour but they should certainly respond within 1-2 days.

    When tenants cut off communication, it's often an indication they are hiding something and I use that as a trigger for inspecting the unit or watching the tenant closely.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Spring Hill, TN · Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    @Nathan Gesner Totally agree! I did mention it from the first call to everyone and continue reminding them during the process. There were a few red flags when I think about it now. If you could share the sample of the notice that you send to your tenants, it would be great. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.