New landlord - need help deciphering prospective renters

New landlord - need help deciphering prospective renters

Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes

Hi, I'm a new landlord, I own a duplex, just reached year 2. I live in one side and so far have only had to look for renters one time, and I posted it on Facebook marketplace and it was a circus. So this time around I posted it on Apartments.com, which is great so far, but I'm having issues on some criteria as far as what I can deny an application for, per the list below:

Credit score is at least 650, which is what I asked but they have a large amount of debt in comparison to their income. Such as one person makes $38,000 per year but has $25,000 in debt but has no late payments. Rent is $800 so I'm assuming that also gets added to their debt ratio.

People have criminal records such as possession of drugs but in some case they are dismissed or dropped. One person had 2 counts of bail jumping and was in jail 3 months and then the case says dismissed after that, if I'm reading it correctly. Can you deny someone's application for a felony? Or a misdemeanor? Or does it depend on what it is?

One person is sending me screenshots of multiple apps that list money paid to her from 3 different jobs and claims to make $48,000 per year but the 4 months of pay she showed me add up to around $22,000. She has 708 credit score but $28,000 in debt.

What is the difference between trade lines and lines of credit?

Also, when I check the state local court records online I find more charges under a persons name that appears to be the same person but that didn't show up in their report with the application.

Is there a standard for how long a person needs to be at their current job?

I'm feeling overwhelmed and want to be sure I give everyone a fair chance and don't wrongly deny an application. It seems like everyone has some sort of issue and there's alot of single people applying that just make the requirements. 

Thanks,

Cindy

0Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 266 posts · 188 votes
    5y

    @Cindy Schneider-  Tenant screening criteria depends heavily on neighborhoods and local laws. 

    As long as you are following fair housing and any local laws, you can set your criteria to whatever you want. You just need to be consistent about it and apply it to everyone. 

    I used the use this criteria for high level screening on sites: 600+ credit score, income must be 3 times monthly rent, 2 years of work history, no evictions, must provide at least 1 landlord reference. We can't blanketly deny people in my market based on criminal history, so I would double check in yours.

    I'm in C class markets, so everyone pretty much has some kind mark on their credit. My key areas of rejections are: any past eviction in last 7 years, past due car payments, judgements/bankruptcies , utilities in collections, address/social security mismatches(I've caught a lot of scammers this way), fake landlord references(usually caught through simple county searches). I would error on the side of caution and just go with what the report says about their background unless they can provide compelling evidence against it.

    Both your applicants seem like typical renters and both have credit scores higher than my average renter.  Just verify all their information before you proceed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.