helppp !! Duplex but for sale as a single family ??

helppp !! Duplex but for sale as a single family ??

Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes

I came across a single family with a 3/2 about 1200sq. There's a basement with a full kitchen, bedroom, and great size living room with a potential for a second bedroom. The main living has a door access to the basement with a lock. The basement its own has a front door, backdoor, and own drive way. But it only has 1 A/C unit connect to the house. It was listed for 310k 2 months ago but now is at 275k. Potential rent for the 3/2 is $1600-$1700. The basement apartment can go for $900-$1000. The basement need some work. The main living space is moving in ready. I'm thinking to put a offer in. What should I do ? any advice ?

0Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Is it on two electric meters? Is it a legal duplex per the zoning? It sounds like it might not be which means you are really buying an SFR. the main difference is resale value and you have to pay for utilities if there's one meter.

  • Kim Meredith HamptonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · St Petersburg · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Isiah Ferguson be careful, zoning is the problem, it’s only a single family, and legally you can’t rent this out. I made a mistake only one time on a triplex, when it really was only a duplex. Was advertised as a triplex, set up as a triplex, etc….How are utilities set up, seems like only one? I’ve seen people go and try to get variances to change the zoning, but never have a great outcome

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 157 votes
    5y

    @Allan Smith @Kim Meredith Hampton Thanks for the feedback. 

    Yes, I believe it zone only as a single family. 

    Basement has its own driveway, entryway, second door, and windows. Legally it’s considered a single family unit. From the looks, I automatically assumed this is a duplex being sold as a single family. It looked like opportunity to me.

    The utilities are operating on 1 meter, I believe. I only notice 1 A/c unit. I’m tryna see how can I make this a deal ? I wouldn’t mine advertise the units for rent with all utilities included. How should I approach this legally ? 




Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.