Tired of all the winning

Tired of all the winning

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

10:51 pm, I get a call from a tenant at my duplex. She tells me that her roommate is having seizures, that she's called 911, and that 10-12 of her roommate's friends are streaming out of the apartment as we speak. I head over. Three paramedic trucks out there, five officers. I find the corporal in charge. "I can't tell you what it is, but it's what it looks like. You can get the police report tomorrow or on Monday."

I find the tenant who called me. Apparently, the paramedics came in, found the other tenant seizing, administered Narcan and brought her back. Now here's the kicker. One of the tenants from the other duplex apartment is with her in the back room, still high as a kite, curled up and crying. One of the guests at the pill party. So ashamed...so ashamed...

Apparently, it was fake Oxy pills, laced with fentanyl, pool quality control and she got a pill with a lot of fentanyl in it.

8Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
Originally posted by @Jim K.:
Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

Sad story, but good to hear nobody died.

So...finish the story. How are you going to deal with this?

Then what would we have a fruitful forum discussion about? What about it, forum people? What should I do next?

Termination. Even if the one roommate wasn't partaking in the festivities, she has to know that it's going on and is therefore complicit. I would give them 30 days to get out. If they comply, there would be no penalty.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

102 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    5y

    Sad story, but good to hear nobody died.

    So...finish the story. How are you going to deal with this?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Sad story, but good to hear nobody died.

    So...finish the story. How are you going to deal with this?

    Then what would we have a fruitful forum discussion about? What about it, forum people? What should I do next?

    • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Jim K.:
      Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

      Sad story, but good to hear nobody died.

      So...finish the story. How are you going to deal with this?

      Then what would we have a fruitful forum discussion about? What about it, forum people? What should I do next?

      Termination. Even if the one roommate wasn't partaking in the festivities, she has to know that it's going on and is therefore complicit. I would give them 30 days to get out. If they comply, there would be no penalty.

      The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Sorry to hear about that.  At least you got to see it first hand rather than hearing the filtered version later.  Most residents would not have called their landlord.  What did they expect from you?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    @Mike Dymski

    The roommate who called 911 is not a part of this in any way. Her expectation is that I would show up and she wouldn't have to deal alone with the officers, the paramedics, the neighbors, and the other tenants, two of whom were involved, one who was (apparently) not.

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    These are times when a property manager would have came in handy.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    What would you like to do about this?  I suppose the question to be asked is "do these tenant pay their rent regularly and on time"?

    If not, time for them to hit the road.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joe S.:

    These are times when a property manager would have came in handy.

    No, not really. This is what I signed up for, and I knew it going in. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    What would you like to do about this?  I suppose the question to be asked is "do these tenant pay their rent regularly and on time"?

    If not, time for them to hit the road.

    So if they do pay the rent regularly and on time, I should give them another chance?

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:

    Termination. Even if the one roommate wasn't partaking in the festivities, she has to know that it's going on and is therefore complicit. I would give them 30 days to get out. If they comply, there would be no penalty.

    "You have made a desert and call it 'peace'."  -- Tacitus

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Just so the roles are clear:

    Downstairs duplex apartment: Tiffany and Erica. Tiffany is the OD, Erica is the tenant who called 911 and has nothing to do with this. Erica's been warning me for months about Tiffany's drug habits.

    Upstairs duplex apartment: Bob and Doug. Bob is Tiffany's friend from way back, He may or may not be mixed up in this, have known about this. Bob claims he was sleeping while the party was happening and the paramedics were downstairs. Doug was at the party, is Tiffany's bestie, sexual relationship unclear but quite probable.

    The party happened in the downstairs duplex apartment.

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    "So if they do pay the rent regularly and on time, I should give them another chance?'

    I've dealt with a lot of drug use/abuse around here.  Had to let a worker go after I caught him selling meth while working on one of my properties.  My electrician had to let his 20 year helper go because the guy was using heroin.  My partners brother has a very long history of drug use/abuse and has spent over half his life in and out of prison for this.   A good friend has been dealing with both a brother and a son as abusers for years.  This is not just an individual issue.  The whole family often gets dragged into this nonsense.

    I've lost patience with this drug business.  So many are so casual about this.  And I'm not talking about the "lite" stuff.  This is the dangerous stuff.  Sometimes I think "drugs  kill...but just not fast enough".

    With that in mind, I'd get rid of the roommate druggie.  The fact that they had 10-12 friends over for a drug party alone would do it for me.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    "So if they do pay the rent regularly and on time, I should give them another chance?'

    I've dealt with a lot of drug use/abuse around here.  Had to let a worker go after I caught him selling meth while working on one of my properties.  My electrician had to let his 20 year helper go because the guy was using heroin.  My partners brother has a very long history of drug use/abuse and has spent over half his life in and out of prison for this.   A good friend has been dealing with both a brother and a son as abusers for years.  This is not just an individual issue.  The whole family often gets dragged into this nonsense.

    I've lost patience with this drug business.  So many are so casual about this.  And I'm not talking about the "lite" stuff.  This is the dangerous stuff.  Sometimes I think "drugs  kill...but just not fast enough".

    With that in mind, I'd get rid of the roommate druggie.  The fact that they had 10-12 friends over for a drug party alone would do it for me.

    So is it the morality of the thing or the unreliability of the tenants?

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    5y

    @Jim K.

    I find it so odd that one of her first thoughts was to call the landlord...  When I shoplifted in junior high, I didn't brag about it to my mother!  Why would you tell someone that can get you in trouble?  

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chris John:

    @Jim K.

    I find it so odd that one of her first thoughts was to call the landlord...  When I shoplifted in junior high, I didn't brag about it to my mother!  Why would you tell someone that can get you in trouble?  

    Erica is the hero of this story, please understand. Without her, Tiffany would probably have died. The junky cockroach friends were trying to slip Tiffany into a tub while she was having seizures. Erica showed up from work, saw the situation, called 911. The junky cockroach friends hit the bricks. Erica called me next to tell me what was going on at my property.

    ERICA AND TIFFANY LIVE TOGETHER IN A 2-BEDROOM ROOMMATE-SHARE SITUATION. THEY ARE NOT FRIENDS.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    I've lost patience with this drug business.  So many are so casual about this.  And I'm not talking about the "lite" stuff.  This is the dangerous stuff.  Sometimes I think "drugs  kill...but just not fast enough".
    With that in mind, I'd get rid of the roommate druggie.  The fact that they had 10-12 friends over for a drug party alone would do it for me.

    Ditto this ^^^ for me. And it has nothing to do with morality. This is the tip of the iceberg if you will, or certainly could be. A 12 person 'rave-up' is a big warning sign. Out with all of them as soon as it is feasible (re lease etc...) IMHO

  • Member since 2020 · 671 posts · 937 votes
    5y

    @Jim K.

    Oh, I hear you.  My comment was more about my general shiftiness than Erica's forthrightness.  She sounds like a gem!  Me, not so much...  haha.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    I've lost patience with this drug business.  So many are so casual about this.  And I'm not talking about the "lite" stuff.  This is the dangerous stuff.  Sometimes I think "drugs  kill...but just not fast enough".
    With that in mind, I'd get rid of the roommate druggie.  The fact that they had 10-12 friends over for a drug party alone would do it for me.

    Ditto this ^^^ for me. And it has nothing to do with morality. This is the tip of the iceberg if you will, or certainly could be. A 12 person 'rave-up' is a big warning sign. Out with all of them as soon as it is feasible (re lease etc...) IMHO

    What does it have to do with? You say "a big warning sign." Of what? And do I get rid of Erica, too, who is the hero of this story? What about Bob? I have no evidence tying him to this. Will that go over well with the magistrate?

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    "So is it the morality of the thing or the unreliability of the tenants?"

    Well, how reliable is the druggie tenant?

    Gail

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y

    Come on, people. Some of you actually do this (@Nathan Gesner, for instance). Some of you very clearly just talk about it. Time to tell me what's what, if you know what's what, AND WHY.

    Because there is only one right answer here.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    "So is it the morality of the thing or the unreliability of the tenants?"

    Well, how reliable is the druggie tenant?

    Gail

    Pays on the first of the month like clockwork.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    What does it have to do with? You say "a big warning sign." Of what? And do I get rid of Erica, too, who is the hero of this story? What about Bob? I have no evidence tying him to this. Will that go over well with the magistrate?

    A big warning sign of drug involvement....it is RARELY just one person, I'm guessing the others are at least dabbling, or enabling or.....?

    A big warning sign of bad judgement...Erica knows her roommate is a druggie. And making a phone call may not make her a hero....

    A big warning sign that you had 12 druggies hanging out at your place for an evening and they've been there before. That's an accident waiting to happen.

    I've lived in houses much worse than this and there are lots of inside stories always going on. I dunno, if you are 100% sure about this Erica, then maybe evict everyone and invite her back in on the side.

    Hard to give good advice when you aren't there, wish I had better ideas....? Sorry you had to go through this, the worst I had was the internet went down last night at 10 pm...

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    If you know the right answer, why are you asking us here?

    Tiffany goes.  Whomever was in the back room, curled up and crying while high was a kite goes (sorry; I've lost track if this is Bob or Doug).

    Erica stays (if she can handle the rent herself),  Same as the upstairs guy who wasn't at the party.  If neither can handle the rent on their own, suggest they begin sharing one of the duplex apartments since both will be minus one roomie.


    Gail

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:

    What does it have to do with? You say "a big warning sign." Of what? And do I get rid of Erica, too, who is the hero of this story? What about Bob? I have no evidence tying him to this. Will that go over well with the magistrate?

    A big warning sign of drug involvement....it is RARELY just one person, I'm guessing the others are at least dabbling, or enabling or.....?

    A big warning sign of bad judgement...Erica knows her roommate is a druggie. And making a phone call may not make her a hero....

    A big warning sign that you had 12 druggies hanging out at your place for an evening and they've been there before. That's an accident waiting to happen.

    I've lived in houses much worse than this and there are lots of inside stories always going on. I dunno, if you are 100% sure about this Erica, then maybe evict everyone and invite her back in on the side.

    Hard to give good advice when you aren't there, wish I had better ideas....? Sorry you had to go through this, the worst I had was the internet went down last night at 10 pm...

    Bruce, be my hero here. Clear out the mechanism, think this through. What's the answer. I'll bet any amount of money that poor @Nathan Gesner is just looking at the screen and shaking his head slowly right now.

    • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
      5y
      Originally posted by @Jim K.:
      Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
      Originally posted by @Jim K.:

      What does it have to do with? You say "a big warning sign." Of what? And do I get rid of Erica, too, who is the hero of this story? What about Bob? I have no evidence tying him to this. Will that go over well with the magistrate?

      A big warning sign of drug involvement....it is RARELY just one person, I'm guessing the others are at least dabbling, or enabling or.....?

      A big warning sign of bad judgement...Erica knows her roommate is a druggie. And making a phone call may not make her a hero....

      A big warning sign that you had 12 druggies hanging out at your place for an evening and they've been there before. That's an accident waiting to happen.

      I've lived in houses much worse than this and there are lots of inside stories always going on. I dunno, if you are 100% sure about this Erica, then maybe evict everyone and invite her back in on the side.

      Hard to give good advice when you aren't there, wish I had better ideas....? Sorry you had to go through this, the worst I had was the internet went down last night at 10 pm...

      Bruce, be my hero here. Clear out the mechanism, think this through. What's the answer. I'll bet any amount of money that poor @Nathan Gesner is just looking at the screen and shaking his head slowly right now.

      Nope. You do you. 

      The roommate has warned you about drug use "for months" and you did nothing about it. You made the bed, now lay in it. ;)

      The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    "So is it the morality of the thing or the unreliability of the tenants?"

    Well, how reliable is the druggie tenant?

    Gail

    Pays on the first of the month like clockwork.

     Paying on the first is only one little sign of reliability. One of my favorite old houses when I was younger had a Rock'n'Roll band, druggies and a couple hookers living there. We always paid our rent promptly on the first...

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:


    Bruce, be my hero here. Clear out the mechanism, think this through. What's the answer. I'll bet any amount of money that poor @Nathan Gesner is just looking at the screen and shaking his head slowly right now.

    Dude - It's a bad situation and I ain't there.....but if you want my take, it's this: You have a 'bad house' here. I've had them before, that's why I'm doing STRs now :-)

    There is ALWAYS more to it than what is on the the surface. Ok, If you're positive about Erica and Bob, and I mean POSITIVE....then keep them, but definitely ditch the other two, they will be nothing but trouble, and we will be having this conversation again. It is a Landlord's market and I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding new tenants, right? And this little druggie escapade with the Police involved should give you ample reason to give them notice, right? Ya just gotta do it, and yes I know talk is cheap....I would be having problems too, but you are in the middle of it and can't see so clearly right now. There, that's the answer. And I'm guessing Nathan has seen worse situations (and threads) than this...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.