How do I deal with tenants that aren't paying me rent

How do I deal with tenants that aren't paying me rent

Investor · O'Fallon, IL 62269 · Member since 2021 · 134 posts · 44 votes

Hi, I own 3 properties. for my duplex, I have a tenant that is not paying me rent, How do I deal with this issue. The lease is a month to month lease.

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Jayden Hamilton In my state I’d consult an attorney and the first step would be a notice of intent to not renew the lease. Then they would have till the end of the next month to vacate. I wouldn’t accept money from them because then you’re back to square one and it becomes a game of cat and mouse. Each month you have to start all over again and they pay every other month.

    Then if they don’t move after 30 days I believe attorney starts eviction process.

    May not be as simple in all states depending on how your moratorium is written but I believe you can still process the eviction it just will not go through the court system yet. But it might get in line on the docket.

    If you can offer them cash for keys. Which likely won’t work but telling them you’ll give them $1000 plus what’s left of their security after you’ve assessed it, to be out and leave the duplex broom clean by the 20th might work. It would be cheaper than an eviction.

  • Investor · O'Fallon, IL 62269 · Member since 2021 · 134 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    Thank you Alecia for all your knowledge!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.