Renting Rooms Vs Units for Multifamily Apartment Buildings

Renting Rooms Vs Units for Multifamily Apartment Buildings

Member since 2020 · 122 posts · 11 votes

Wouldn’t it be more profitable if for each apartment unit in an apartment building I rent them out by rooms rather than units. If so why doesn’t everyone do this.

For example let’s say I had a 4 bedroom unit in an apartment building renting for $2k a month. Wouldn’t it be better if I just rent out each room for $800 a month and make $3200 a month for the 4 rooms. 

Also as commercial real estate value is heavily focused on NOI renting by rooms could boost NOI and could force more appreciation and allow investors to perhaps refinance quicker and at higher valuations allowing them to do the BRRRR strategy to buy more buildings and repeat building wealth.

0Reply
25 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2018 · 309 posts · 264 votes
    5y

    Though this option is technically possible, I feel you'd have a very difficult time finding enough people to rent all the rooms in an entire apartment building.  For instance you'd never get a family to live there, so your target market would be single people.  In a market like NYC or the bay area, I could see the demand being high enough from younger recent graduates that this would be possible, but in most markets I think you'd have a tough time finding people to rent by the room for an entire apartment building.  On top of this, you'd run into a lot of problems of roommates not getting along.  Not saying it's impossible, just would take substantially more work to keep the rooms filled and everyone happy!

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    It probably also depends on what marketplace you are in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.